• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Two interesting FA Pilot Schemes

I assume you all realise that it is already a sending off offence under Law 12, the referees just do not inforce it:

Sending-Off Offences
A player, substitute or substituted player is sent off and shown the red
card if he commits any of the following seven offences:
1. is guilty of serious foul play
2. is guilty of violent conduct
3. spits at an opponent or any other person
4. denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity
by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a
goalkeeper within his own penalty area)
5. denies an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving
towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick
or a penalty kick​
6. uses offensive or insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
7. receives a second caution in the same mat

http://www.thefa.com/NR/rdonlyres/095F9568-466D-4D71-ABF5-C1253A1C28FD/97756/LOTG2006_e.pdf

I assume you all realise that it is already a sending off offence under Law 12, the referees just do not inforce it:

Sending-Off Offences
or a penalty kick​

http://www.thefa.com/NR/rdonlyres/095F9568-466D-4D71-ABF5-C1253A1C28FD/97756/LOTG2006_e.pdf

i think that some referees to enforce it, it's just the inconsistancy (especially at the highest level, a la terry, rooney) which has meant it's been hard for lower level refs to enforce, and increasing the problem

Both rules could in theory be very good. Will either work? Debatable. Only the captain can talk to the ref, not sure that will work, what would be the punishment for another playing doing so? A yellow? How would talking to the ref be defined?

Red card for swearing, really pathetic in my opinion. I agree there is no need for it on the field of play, but equal to a dangerous challenge? I think not, yeollow makes sense to me, as its disent essentially

Sending-Off Offences
or a penalty kick​

It's not quite as simple as that. OFFINABUS, as it's called, is open to interpretation. What I find offensive or insulting, the next referee might not. But you are right essentially. If referees, especially those at the top, did their job properly and sanctioned clearly offensive language by anyone's standards, there'd be no need for this zero tolerance nonsense.

Swearing is part of the parcel of football... and i don't think it will ever leave, but swearing at a player or official should never be tolerated and it's up to the FA and FIFA to draw together some laws that give the refs tools to keep a game of football competitive but sportsman-like

The language used in football will mirror the language used within the community. It's not the actual words that are the problem but the dissent and lack of respect. It's the context rather than the words per se.

Our keeper slipped as he took a goal kick, said "Oh sh!t" and got booked!
You can't help if you slip up, but he wasn't swearing at anyone, he got fustrated with himself. HOWEVER, If players were to swear at an opponent or a official, then I agree, they should be sent off, they are verbally abusing them.

I agree in principle, but disagree in reality. Possibly with the swearing, that could work, although leniency may have to be applied to swearing if you get injured, it can just slip out at times.

With the only the captains can speak to the ref, good idea in principle as I say, and I think something like this could work. It just seems a bit too harsh stopping some players airing their views. Respect used like in Rugby would be better.

If it was only captains that could speak to the ref though, Maher would be in such trouble.

Agreed on all counts.

Surely it will be down to the discretion of each ref on the swearing count. Some players joke with a ref and they swear at each other, it happens.

Be bad if the only player that can speak to a ref is the captain, good idea in principle as you say but yes a tad harsh.

I dread to think if this one ever comes in, and Maher is back in the team as captain. He's probably be suspended most of the season! :hilarious:

Back