• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

UK graduation rates fall

Amended...

Although I'd also put a considerable amount of this on just how much suitable learning you actually achieve on these courses, coupled with the increasing financial aspect of University. In Holland, courses are more pro-active, allowing you to learn more with "on-the-job" training with the added bonus of being paid... Over here, it's more or less "Sit down, look at the Powerpoint, there's an exam in 4 months."

amended like a true poly graduate :clap:

Amended...

Although I'd also put a considerable amount of this on just how much suitable learning you actually achieve on these courses, coupled with the increasing financial aspect of University. In Holland, courses are more pro-active, allowing you to learn more with "on-the-job" training with the added bonus of being paid... Over here, it's more or less "Sit down, look at the Powerpoint, there's an exam in 4 months."

Here in lies the common mistake people make . Its not the subject that is the issue . It is the criteria used for study then then marking that causes issues . Studying theorterical numbers and Jesus college cambridge is great , but a subject of no real practical use outside academia (if you believe in a purely mechanistic view point and /or a economic vaule base to what is a good or not good degree course) .

I agree on the entry standards :D

That helps , but then teh Dutch also look at the validity of the employment in their society as well . Very introspective the Dutch

France also limits access to civil service positions eg teaching posts etc by stiff public entrance examinations at national(rather than local level as in the UK)as does Spain(to a lesser extent).

Last edited:
France also limits access to civil service positions eg teaching posts etc by stiff public entrance examinations at national(rather than local level as in the UK)as does Spain(to a lesser extent).
An idea from China originally the early dynasty's we're jam packed with exams for almost every position especially public office ;)

Here in lies the common mistake people make . Its not the subject that is the issue . It is the criteria used for study then then marking that causes issues . Studying theorterical numbers and Jesus college cambridge is great , but a subject of no real practical use outside academia (if you believe in a purely mechanistic view point and /or a economic vaule base to what is a good or not good degree course) .

I agree on the entry standards :D

Studying theoretical numbers is very important.

For example many encryption algorithms use large prime numbers.

Last edited:
True, but I still haven't found a use for my knowledge that i = the square root of -1

I have. It's all about the phase angles of fault currents in YTG14 and Micom fault relays, and their test settings.

Studying theoretical numbers is very important.

For example many encryption algorithms use large prime numbers.
And yet oddly the world was still able to hide secrets before these were conceptualized ;). It's a very useful application, and i think you'll find devised by academia that then made itself a market.

Though my point was the subject is not alwasy the issue.

And yet oddly the world was still able to hide secrets before these were conceptualized ;). It's a very useful application, and i think you'll find devised by academia that then made itself a market.

Though my point was the subject is not alwasy the issue.

Code breaking computers have made such methods necessary.

Code breaking computers have made such methods necessary.
Not really as cipher's created by a small number of people (say the WWII Windwalkers) who never record or document it in a format computers can decode are immune to it . The theoretical numbers we're for abstract concepts to be given form or to attempt to make quantum computing .

And before anyone mentions Turing and Enigma , the Poles had cracked most the code before he got to it.

Im also not saying its unnecessary , its simply another method , maybe faster or more convenient.

Last edited:
Not really as cipher's created by a small number of people (say the WWII Windwalkers) who never record or document it in a format computers can decode are immune to it .

Which is of zero use if you want your credit card details encrypted when you make an e-purchase.

Which is of zero use if you want your credit card details encrypted when you make an e-purchase.
Their algorithms of 256 bit encryption they don;t use that form of branch of mathmatics

Though having doen a bit more research i suppose all mathmatics is most likley conceptual anyway ;)
"There is debate over whether mathematical objects such as numbers and points exist naturally or are human creations. The mathematician Benjamin Peirce called mathematics "the science that draws necessary conclusions".[5] Albert Einstein, on the other hand, stated that "as far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."[6]"

Back