• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Unfunny Comedians

Rosie Jones takes a bit of time to get use to her cadence. First time I saw her it was a bit of a struggle and it was only towards the end of her (short) set I was in step with it. Subsequent times it’s been quicker to adjust. She has absolutely killer comedy timing once you get use to that cadence.

I don’t imagine she works as well on TV though where it’s more one liners and they don’t have the time for longer set ups or to build the tension and a lot gets lost in the edit. It’s a bit like cricket: panel shows are the T20 highlights. Sure it’s fun seeing someone smack a six but it’s an ephemeral moment: what sticks with me are the days when I watched the entire innings when things ebb and flow and are allowed to build and you don’t know how things will unfurl.

Which is why Greg Davies is so good live - callbacks to the start of the show, and running gags.

Sean Lock (RIP) is still the best I've seen live though. Just naturally funny.

I'm surprised no-one has brought up Rob Beckett and probably my number one most hated 'comedian' of current times Romesh Rangalangadingdong or whatever his name is.

IMO one of the most recent & blatant examples of box ticking if ever there was one. The fact that he's everywhere makes me hate him even more. Surely he's now past his sell by date?
A few years ago my wife and I decided, for old times sake, to go to the Comedy Store just off Leicester Square. After the last act they announced a bonus act, which was Romesh Ranganathan. I promise you, you would have found his 10 minutes very funny. He was unbelievably filthy and I saw him in a completely different light.

As for me, I never found Reeves and Mortimer funny. I watched their programmes because I desperately wanted them to make me laugh, but I found myself waiting for George Dawes, aka Matt Lucas.

Last edited:
Wow, can't believe some of those being mentioned! Seen Rob Beckett and Sarah Millican recently at the Cliffs and found them both very funny, I realise Sarah is an acquired taste, but she hits the mark so accurately so frequently that I think she's really very funny. Enjoyed Rob Beckett too.

Feel sorry for Rosie Jones in a way, she's clearly a clever woman (and she was great acting in Call the Midwife recently too) but her delivery is always going to annoy some people (hubby included on that).

For me, it's some of those who've been around a while. Ben Elton I have never found funny, although I admire his writing for others. Harry Enfield can be both funny and not. Can't abide Russell Brand or Eddie Izzard (and never could, @Tangled up in Blue, before you try and suggest it's because of his current persona). I like Jimmy Carr on 9 out of 10 cats but not as a stand up, and prefer Alan Carr as a stand up rather than a host.
Saw Ben Elton on his comeback tour at the Cliffs a few years back , was very funny and not political more an observation on life now with kids and new age technology x

Saw Ben Elton on his comeback tour at the Cliffs a few years back , was very funny and not political more an observation on life now with kids and new age technology x
Yes saw that a couple of years ago - thought he was excellent - took my then 17? Year old son who didn't know who he was, and he also really enjoyed it.

He's back on at the cliffs later this year

There have been a number who've made a pretty dark turn into 'anti-woke/anti-PC' comments (which is usually just a dogwhistle for being discriminatory and racist/sexist/ableist/transphobic etc.). Ricky Gervais, Jimmy Carr, Dave Chappelle etc. Comedians who were edgy but funny and successful but are now past their sell-by date and rather than **** off with their piles of cash and into obscurity, would rather be out right offensive and discriminatory and punch down on minorities.

Ricky G certainly wasn't punching down at the Oscars. Calling out the Hollywood elites to their faces was an outstanding performance.

A few years ago my wife and I decided, for old times sake, to go to the Comedy Store just off Leicester Square. After the last act they announced a bonus act, which was Romesh Ranganathan. I promise you, you would have found is 10 minutes very funny. He was unbelievably filthy and I saw him in a completely different light.

As for me, I never found Reeves and Mortimer funny. I watched their programmes because I desperately wanted them to make me laugh, but I found myself waiting for George Dawes, aka Matt Lucas.
Yes, absolutely! Though I find Bob Mortimer very funny on stuff like Would I lie to you and Taskmaster.

Josh Widdicombe has been named on this thread a few times, I’ll stick up for him as he is one of my favourite comedians! It helps that he is a similar age to me and a lot of his material relates to growing up in the 90’s.

I was fortunate that when I saw him on the tour a couple of years ago Rosie Jones wasn’t the warm up act, I had Maisie Adam instead who I think is one of the better female comedians.

I do love Bob Mortimer in the fishing series with Paul Whitehouse not forgetting Ted the dog, can make me laugh out loud one minute to deep thought the next.
One of the best series on TV, great friendship and just 30 minutes of pure joy, showed how good they are when Bob was ill and Lee Mack came in for a show just didn’t work for me
Great stories especially when talking about mum and dad

Back