• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gerry Francis - former England captain was player manager for Exeter in 1983/84. He lashed in a remarkable shot from about 30 yards and was applauded all the way back to the half way line.

Yep that's the first thing that came into my mind.
A gale blowing the whole game, he was the only player completely unaffected.
0-3 loss?

Yep that's the first thing that came into my mind.
A gale blowing the whole game, he was the only player completely unaffected.
0-3 loss?

Yep a 3-0 loss. I think the days are long gone when a former England captain would turn up as a player manager of an unfashionable club in the Third Tier. Which is a bit of a shame really as there's not a lot of class about these days -just huff and puff and running. Gerry Francis was born on the same day as me so I always had a soft spot for him!

Someone else mentioned Frank Worthington - he was actually Player-Manager at Tranmere - not Swindon. And we nearly got Tony Currie! Bobby Charlton and I think Nobby Stiles I'm sure would have had a clap at Roots Hall.

My memory recalls the Friday Night Frank Worthington came to the Hall when he was player/coach I think
Was it Swindon ? Can't be sure.
What I do remember was an extra 3,000 on the gate and Frank standing in the centre circle all night dictating terms
Worth the entrance fee alone
I think you are thinking of Lou McCari at Swindon .

Yes the East clapped Oztumer. It's not something I usually do but was deserved in this instance.

Sorry, I don't think it was deserved; yes he scored 3 goals (2 etremely helpful by us) but other than that, I didn't think he was that good.

I would only clap an oposition player if he was head and shoulders above everyone else.

Sorry, I don't think it was deserved; yes he scored 3 goals (2 etremely helpful by us) but other than that, I didn't think he was that good.

I would only clap an oposition player if he was head and shoulders above everyone else.
thats a bit unfair, the guy scores a hatrick against us and you won’t give him credit because he is vertically challenged :winking:

I wonder if any old timers like me remember a game v Notts County in the early sixties. We lost one nil due to an outstanding performance from their keeper by the name of Rose. He was applauded from the field at the end of the game.

If that was the 1968 game it was absolutely well deserved.

That remains embedded in my mind as the most one-sided (to us!) game that I have ever seen us lose.

Yep a 3-0 loss. I think the days are long gone when a former England captain would turn up as a player manager of an unfashionable club in the Third Tier. Which is a bit of a shame really as there's not a lot of class about these days -just huff and puff and running. Gerry Francis was born on the same day as me so I always had a soft spot for him!

Someone else mentioned Frank Worthington - he was actually Player-Manager at Tranmere - not Swindon. And we nearly got Tony Currie! Bobby Charlton and I think Nobby Stiles I'm sure would have had a clap at Roots Hall.
I can think of quite a few other Man U players who probably got the clap—Rooney ,Giggs,Beckham.....

I certainly remember clapping Agogo for his performance that day. Didn't he get sent off for two yellows, both given for diving in another game?

That’s really harsh to be sent off for diving in another game.

Back