• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Vital last game(s)

Napster

No ⭐
1960/1 - Needed to beat Grimsby to ensure survival, or Tranmere needed to lose. Southend lost 1-0, but Tranmere also lost 4-1, so we survived
1975/6 - Needed to win the last two games to beat relegation. The first, we only drew 2-2 at Wrexham, and the last one, Sheff Weds also needed to win to avoid the drop, and they did, 2-1.
1984/5 - Needed to get a result as good as Halifax's. Halifax beat Swindon 2-1, and a Steve Phillips penalty meant we beat bottom club Torquay at home, so we avoided re-election. (Not that it mattered as Wealdstone withdrew their application)
1986/7 - If we won at Stockport, then Wolves' final game the following day would have been meaningless, we would have the final promotion spot. We won 2-0 (Pennyfather, Cadette)
1987/8 - Needed to win at home to Blackpool, and hope one of other threatened clubs (Aldershot, Mansfield, Chesterfield or Rotherham) would also lose. Rotherham lost 4-1 at home to the champions Sunderland, we beat Blackpool 4-0
1988/9 - It was either us or Reading to go down. We were playing Chester at home, Reading were playing Chesterfield, who were already relegated. It was 0-0 at half time at Roots Hall, but Chesterfield were winning 2-0. Prior scored for us in the second half, but somehow, Reading scored four and we were down on 54 points (a record points tally for a relegated club)
1989/90 - Away at Peterborough - needed to win to secure promotion, which we did, 2-0
1990/1 - Bit of a cheat, as it was the last away game, at Bury - which we needed to win to secure promotion, which we did, 1-0.
1992/3 - Needed a result at home to Luton who were also battling relegation. We won 2-1. Luton also survived as Cambridge and Brentford both lost.
2004/5 - We were in 3rd place and needed to match Swansea's result to ensure we were promoted automatically. We were away at Grimsby, Swansea away at Bury. Swansea scored in the 1st minute. Eastwood equalised for us with 20 minutes left, Bentley hit the bar, but we couldnt get the win. Swansea held on for the win and automatic promotion.
2005/6 - A final day win would ensure the title. A Wayne Gray winner did just that
2018/9 - A win against Sunderland at home - well, you know the rest. https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/20...-one-season-ends-with-poor-defeat-to-southend

On 30 April 2017 we needed to beat Bury and hope that Millwall didn't win at Bristol Rovers so we could get a play-off place.

Thanks to a goal by Stephen McLaughlin we did our part by winning 1-0, but Millwall won 4-3 v The Gas thanks to an 85th minute winner to spoil our day

I recall the game as it was this one that I got Derek Spence and Keith Mercer back to Roots (in pre SUEPA days) and they got a huge reception from the 9,000 plus crowd at Roots that day - Derek recalled it again only last weekend saying that both Keith and him cried as they came off the pitch overcome by the emotion of it all.

33553033013_17fc162fd9_o.jpg

You forgot the Morecombe away "loss", the year we went up via the play offs Naps which I believe ended in a 3-1 loss, stopping us getting in the automatics.

What an horrific coach ride home that was. Little did we know it would lead to one of our best ever days out.

I still blame Martin for our ridiculous run against Morecambe. He gave them a team talk template for when playing us, and it’s worked ever since.

You forgot the Morecombe away "loss", the year we went up via the play offs Naps which I believe ended in a 3-1 loss, stopping us getting in the automatics.
The only consolation from that trip was this Morecambe scene pic taken at that time. Must have been one hell of a laser battle.

117 Morecambe.jpg

On 30 April 2017 we needed to beat Bury and hope that Millwall didn't win at Bristol Rovers so we could get a play-off place.

Thanks to a goal by Stephen McLaughlin we did our part by winning 1-0, but Millwall won 4-3 v The Gas thanks to an 85th minute winner to spoil our day

I recall the game as it was this one that I got Derek Spence and Keith Mercer back to Roots (in pre SUEPA days) and they got a huge reception from the 9,000 plus crowd at Roots that day - Derek recalled it again only last weekend saying that both Keith and him cried as they came off the pitch overcome by the emotion of it all.

View attachment 31796

that was my sons first game at 8 yrs old.

Bloody hooligan teenager now up the back of the West with his mates, whilst his old man now just quietly watches the game.........with his old 40 yrs + hooligan mates

Excellent post. I was wondering about our last day fortunes the other day. Hard to forget Grimsby and Morecambe. Two miserable days out. Compounded by the raucous Luton fans on the train back from Grimsby, celebrating their promotion to the championship after winning at Donny. Both seasons ended in play off glory though, so not all bad.
Perhaps include the 1-0 home defeat by Brentford that robbed us of championship we deserved in 1991? We did go up in 2nd place but it would have been nice.

2004/5 - We were in 3rd place and needed to match Swansea's result to ensure we were promoted automatically. We were away at Grimsby, Swansea away at Bury. Swansea scored in the 1st minute. Eastwood equalised for us with 20 minutes left, Bentley hit the bar, but we couldnt get the win. Swansea held on for the win and automatic promotion.

Was that when the Grimbsy crowd started to encroach on the pitch with about 10 minutes of the game still to go? I find it hard to believe that is was only 20 years ago.

Towards the end some "muppet" in the Southend fans area with a mobile phone started saying that we were okay & the rumour quickly spread - I hope that person is reading this because I would like to say "&% ($"( £^%&(!)" to them.

How did that season end? Can you remind me?

For the last few years I have booked my holiday in January around the play off dates and final. I started doing that after our Wembley triumph in case I can't t get time off after qualifying for the play offs. My colleagues at work say it is a waste of leave, but hopefully it will be third time lucky and we will do it on the last game of the season!

Last edited:
Was that when the Grimbsy crowd started to encroach on the pitch with about 10 minutes of the game still to go? I find it hard to believe that is was only 20 years ago.

Towards the end some "muppet" in the Southend fans area with a mobile phone started saying that we were okay & the rumour quickly spread - I hope that person is reading this because I would like to say "&% ($"( £^%&(!)" to them.

How did that season end? Can you remind me?
Yes, the Grimsby crowd lined the dead ball line from goalpost out to the corner flag. Ref got spooked and blew up early just as we were throwing everything at it to get the required goal.
That was the day when Swansea keeper was detained for some reason at Bury and led to the move by Swans fans to "Free Willie".

Back