• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

VOTE FOR NICKY NIC

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Jan. 11 2005,13:19)]in the words of tesco...
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Every Little Helps
I wouldnt believe everything they come out with. I should know, I work there!

BTW I've voted
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Jan. 11 2005,21:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I should know, I work there!

that sums you up then hills!
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
Oh, shut up! I cant have a full time job at the moment, can I?!

tounge.gif

Bit of a dilemma here for me. I don't think, after two games, Nicky's done enough to win player of the month.

Equally, I don't want some other team reducing our chances of having a player of the year come the end of the season.

Still, may as well vote. Can only imagine the synopsis if he wins though.

"Nicky Nicolau pulled 54% of the votes to win PFA Player of the Month for January. Although the defender-cum-midfielder had only played two games, this was already enough to convince 47% of the voters. 46% said they'd never heard of him."

[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ Jan. 11 2005,21:45)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Jan. 11 2005,21:41)]work for Waitrose its a step up the ladder
tounge.gif
No, there scum in my eyes
tounge.gif
Good point. Found half a fly in my panini at Waitrose before.

Even before I found the fly's remains, the panini wasn't even coming close to the Lufbra Tesco's all day breakfast. One of the few things worth getting out of bed for with a hangover.

Right, come on. Own up. WHo's carried on voting for Bart in to January when SZ policy is to go for Nicolau?

Just noticed we're one of two teams in all division to have two in the top 5!!
laugh.gif

How many people come on SZ??

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Jan. 12 2005,19:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ Jan. 11 2005,21:45)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Jan. 11 2005,21:41)]work for Waitrose its a step up the ladder
tounge.gif
No, there scum in my eyes
tounge.gif
Good point.  Found half a fly in my panini at Waitrose before.

Even before I found the fly's remains, the panini wasn't even coming close to the Lufbra Tesco's all day breakfast.  One of the few things worth getting out of bed for with a hangover.
I wouldnt even go down Pitsea Tesco's for one of their all day breakfast's since the new 'chefs' have come in....... Must be doing a good job of them in Lufbra!

So much for freedon of vote.
rock.gif
(I voted for Edwards) Why are you all so bothered about this? By the end of the season most of the team will have won the award
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpboy @ Jan. 13 2005,19:34)]So much for freedon of vote.
rock.gif
(I voted for Edwards) Why are you all so bothered about this? By the end of the season most of the team will have won the award
laugh.gif
rock.gif

Errr.. If you didn't have freedom of vote you couldn't have voted for Edwards, innit?

I seem to recall that you have a perennial problem understanding the concept here shrimpboy. Sure, vote for whomesoever you wish, but if we all do that, far from "most of the team winning it", no one will. Oxford, (was it in December) had 3 players in the top 5. Because their vote was split between 3 players, none of them won. We are simply trying to promote the club by "playing the system" (quite legitimately) to maximise the chances of one of our players winning PFA Player of Year.

Most of us can do literally nothing to help the players or show our appreciation of them for their efforts during the season. Winning them an award shows them that those efforst ARE appreciated. Viz: Bart's suprise and pleasure on hearing that he had won.

It does mean something to the players, but we can only do it by all pulling (and voting) together.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpboy @ Jan. 13 2005,19:34)]So much for freedon of vote.
rock.gif
laugh.gif
Oh dear. We've got a bright one here - a life collecting bins beckons...

suspect.gif

The award is a complete farce.

Are people so starved of success that they are desperate for the players to win anything up for grabs, no matter how trivial?

I'll bet if one of our players was nominated for the Lois jeans rear of the year award someone on here would co-ordinate a campaign of mass voting.

Not only is the award a farce so is the chosen candidate. How can two solid yet unspectacular games during the busiest playing period of the season make you player of the month?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Jan. 14 2005,11:00)]The award is a complete farce.

Are people so starved of success that they are desperate for the players to win anything up for grabs, no matter how trivial?

I'll bet if one of our players was nominated for the Lois jeans rear of the year award someone on here would co-ordinate a campaign of mass voting.

Not only is the award a farce so is the chosen candidate. How can two solid yet unspectacular games during the busiest playing period of the season make you player of the month?
If you ask the player receiving it on the pitch in front of the fans whether the award is a farce and a waste of time I doubt they would agree...

Therein lies the point - it's a minor gee up for one of the lads and frankly I couldn't give a toss who.

On the basis that they like receiving it, and that it is better for one of our lads to have that pleasure than one of the other teams, it is worth voting for - regardless which one of our lads wins it frankly.

Anything we can do, however small and trivial, to make our players feel good about themselves has got to be worth it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ Jan. 14 2005,11:54)]If you ask the player receiving it on the pitch in front of the fans whether the award is a farce and a waste of time I doubt they would agree...
I doubt the players realise how the recipient of the award is determined (and I would hate to shatter their illusion).

I'd say Barrett and Griemink were probably worthy winners of the award irrespective of the voting system but I don't think Nicholau is.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Jan. 14 2005,12:06)]I doubt the players realise how the recipient of the award is determined (and I would hate to shatter their illusion).
I'm sure they dont - which is why it is worth voting for.

By the way, no public vote/poll has ever been so puritanical as to vote for the scientifically 'best' candidate.... otherwise all votes would yield a 100% preference for one candidate - the 'best' one. Votes are cast for many reasons, very often with little thought or understanding and even more often to achieve the best tactical result for a (poorly) chosen candidate. This vote is no different.

As with any vote, if you dont like the system you have the option of not voting. However if you dont vote you have no right to criticise the outcome or consequences...

Erm , having had a quick peek at the top 5 rankings they are currently:

Andy Kirk - Boston
Bart Griemink - SUFC
Lee Trundle - Swansea
Matthew Sparrow - Scunny
Nicky Nicolau - SUFC

Interesting.....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ Jan. 14 2005,12:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Jan. 14 2005,12:06)]I doubt the players realise how the recipient of the award is determined (and I would hate to shatter their illusion).
I'm sure they dont - which is why it is worth voting for.

By the way, no public vote/poll has ever been so puritanical as to vote for the scientifically 'best' candidate.... otherwise all votes would yield a 100% preference for one candidate - the 'best' one. Votes are cast for many reasons, very often with little thought or understanding and even more often to achieve the best tactical result for a (poorly) chosen candidate. This vote is no different.

As with any vote, if you dont like the system you have the option of not voting. However if you dont vote you have no right to criticise the outcome or consequences...
Voting is subjective, yes, I'm not going to argue with you there.

But consider the following:

Quite obviously the bigger clubs (of which we are one) in each division will draw more votes for their players than smaller ones.

I haven't seen a breakdown of the vote but I am willing to bet that there are very few votes from fans whos clubs players are not represented. Outside of the Premier$hite most fans have no knowledge of how well a members of other teams are playing.

I think that Southend also have an advantage in these polls because a lot of our fans have net acess as a consequence of working in the city and seem generally much more 'net savvy' than fans of some other teams. You only have to look at other teams message boards to see just how many southend fans their are online compared to some other teams.

Back