• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

"Waiting for players to get desperate"

GBJ

⭐⭐
Staff member
Not sure if this has been said anywhere else, but i thought it worthy of a new thread...

Firstly, i'm a massive Tilly fan, and do not intend to bash him etc etc

BUT, does anyone else feel there is something slightly wrong with the statement "we are waiting for players to get desperate"? It doesn't inspire confidence that we are trying to get in a half decent replacement for Clarke, let alone the other areas that need strengthening.

It comes across as though Tilly is just gunna except the fact we can't get anyone of real quality in, so we're gunna settle for the dregs!?
We've already seen that the majority of trialists we've had, just can't cut it at a decent level.

Now i don't believe for one second that Tilly is happy with this, and can see him getting more and more annoyed....

Been mentioned a few times and its a bloody stupid thing to say (Tilly, not you).

I think its more of a highlighting of Tilly's complete lack of PR skills more than anything. Like I said previously, even the Sawyer deal could have been handled better PR wise which would have calmed the natives for a while. Instead of saying "chelsea contacted us", we should have been all over it saying that "we'd chased Sawyer and beaten off other clubs to get our No.1 target etc etc"

Poor show on these statements from Tilson and co.

Been mentioned a few times and its a bloody stupid thing to say (Tilly, not you).

I think its more of a highlighting of Tilly's complete lack of PR skills more than anything. Like I said previously, even the Sawyer deal could have been handled better PR wise which would have calmed the natives for a while. Instead of saying "chelsea contacted us", we should have been all over it saying that "we'd chased Sawyer and beaten off other clubs to get our No.1 target etc etc"

Sorry pboreham,but would'nt like the thought of the club lying to us for good PR,all we want as supporters is the truth,whether it's what we want or not.

Not sure if this has been said anywhere else, but i thought it worthy of a new thread...

BUT, does anyone else feel there is something slightly wrong with the statement "we are waiting for players to get desperate"? It doesn't inspire confidence that we are trying to get in a half decent replacement for Clarke, let alone the other areas that need strengthening.

It comes across as though Tilly is just gunna except the fact we can't get anyone of real quality in, so we're gunna settle for the dregs!?
We've already seen that the majority of trialists we've had, just can't cut it at a decent level.

Now i don't believe for one second that Tilly is happy with this, and can see him getting more and more annoyed....
At the moment it seems Southend want something for nothing. Decent C Back good left back, if he can find one quality wide player, and prehaps a forward with a bit of pace, but spend money o no, because it looks like we aint got any. Now if the results this season dont go our way, and ive a feeling they might not,i can see Tilson packing up in frustration.

Yes I agree and wonder what Sawyer is starting to think of all this because at the moment it must seem like a completley different club from when he left us last season.

lets make no mistakes about thi situation we are in, none of the blame lays at Tillys door

lets make no mistakes about thi situation we are in, none of the blame lays at Tillys door

I know that. Not for one minute do i think this is anything to do with Tilly, and as i said, i can see Tilly getting more and more annoyed with this and jacking it in before too long, which would be detrimental to SUFC IMO

It was a poor thing to say, but I make wording mistakes which make me look bad all the time! Tilly is still learning when it comes to the media.

I can kinda see what he is saying though... We can't compete at the moment with attracting players, in a few years I think we will be in a much better position, he should be able to get a left back and centre back in, that is all we are desperately in need of.

I know that Herd is a great left back, but is there any centre back youths who could act as back up?

Yes I agree and wonder what Sawyer is starting to think of all this because at the moment it must seem like a completley different club from when he left us last season.

but exactly the same club he joined last season.

We learn nothing from our mistakes. 2 weeks until kick off, and once again, we've got no permanent signings. A difficult start beckons until the loan market really kicks in.

Tilly is our one saving grace this season. Without him we would of had some very mediocre/bad seasons.

I thinks this pre-season is as miserable if not more so than last. I just hope that Tilly can pull off some major coup's before we start on August 8th. he's done it before so why not again? I'm still entitled to bite my nails in sheer frustration like any other fan though!

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the only reason we've managed to keep hold of such a successful manager as Tilson is BECAUSE of his inability to portray himself as competent in interviews. Long may he struggle to find the right words.

There are 3 things about Tilly that make me admire him immensely with a shade of green.

1. He will always fill the vital positions either by loan or otherwise.

2. His game is built upon flair and there will never be a Southend team that he is responsible for that plays negatively or hoofball

3. He might not get things right at the beginning of the season when he doesn't know who is coming or going. He will get things right by mid season when he sees where your weaknesses are and knows how to get crucial loanees.

He's a good man and manager.

There are 3 things about Tilly that make me admire him immensely with a shade of green.

1. He will always fill the vital positions either by loan or otherwise.

2. His game is built upon flair and there will never be a Southend team that he is responsible for that plays negatively or hoofball

3. He might not get things right at the beginning of the season when he doesn't know who is coming or going. He will get things right by mid season when he sees where your weaknesses are and knows how to get crucial loanees.

He's a good man and manager.

You didnt watch us latter part of last season then when the main tactic was hoof and watch theo chase it then!

. Now if the results this season dont go our way, and ive a feeling they might not,i can see Tilson packing up in frustration.

If we get off to a poor start this season, who will bear the brunt of critisism from the stands, Steve Tilson or Ron Martin?. We've all heard the shouts of 'sort it out Tilson' ' etc in the past when we've been on a poor run, but the current situation appears to be that he has his hands tied somewhat due to the financial problems supposedly at the club. Bearing this in mind, will he still get the comments about our plight, or will fans target Ron Martin or keep off his back incase he gets irked and walks away?.

If we get off to a poor start this season, who will bear the brunt of critisism from the stands, Steve Tilson or Ron Martin?. We've all heard the shouts of 'sort it out Tilson' ' etc in the past when we've been on a poor run, but the current situation appears to be that he has his hands tied somewhat due to the financial problems supposedly at the club. Bearing this in mind, will he still get the comments about our plight, or will fans target Ron Martin or keep off his back incase he gets irked and walks away?.

Tilly will get the blame, like always.

With the lack of investment into the side I thought that it was a miraculous achievement to get us as high in the table as we were last season but there's only so many times that he can pull another miracle out and I'm expecting little other than a season of midtable mediocrity this year.

My main concern is that when we hit a bad run (which we will do), will the chairman back the manager? It's pretty clear that Ron doesn't like being criticised and I just hope that he doesn't opt to make Tilly a scapegoat.

Thats a good shout BBBL, I think most people are behind Tilson and though some of his buys have been poor, tell what manager after these many years in charge doesnot make a mistake or two, Fergie's was Veron and I suspect one or two others, Wenger is too many to mention, and even millionaires Chelsea can discount a few buys.

I suspect the chairman will stay and the fall guy or guys will be Tilly/Brush if we start off badly,whether true or not the strong rumour at christmas was Tilly had three or four games to pull things round, which thankfully he did.

One thing Mr Martin should I hope realises is he will not be as lucky second time round to find a manager to use as a stop gap, whilst he touted Collymore and Ian Atkins, only to realise under his nose a true Southender was getting on with the job, whilst all around him all was falling down and making the Chairman look kind of daft as he trail blazed a manager.

Get rid of Tilson IMHO unthinkable,change the way the chairman airs his views to the public definately, Mr Martin to give Tilson 100 % backing for the next five seasons, whether we go up down or stay mid table no brainer !!!

Tilly will get the blame, like always.

With the lack of investment into the side I thought that it was a miraculous achievement to get us as high in the table as we were last season but there's only so many times that he can pull another miracle out and I'm expecting little other than a season of midtable mediocrity this year.

My main concern is that when we hit a bad run (which we will do), will the chairman back the manager? It's pretty clear that Ron doesn't like being criticised and I just hope that he doesn't opt to make Tilly a scapegoat.

good post and straight on the button, I to could see tilly becoming scape goat at some point his season, to by RM some more time

I would have thought that the appearance of 3 players on Saturday all of whom were presumably trying to join our club is evidence that Tilly's strategy is turning out as planned.

Back