• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Was he there?

I shall probably get seriously walloped for this, but if he already has Ron's agreement to carry on his media work, it may be that he was contractually required to attend at Shrewsbury. It doesn't make it right, but it may explain his absence and he has faith in his management staff. Let's face it, on current performance, his tactical nous was not missed last night.

Someone once said that the radio thing is done game by game for invited pundits. They phone up who they fancy and see if available. They then pay a fee for that days work. It was said that in this way, you don't get to listen to the same voices like Match of the day. I think Sky and MOTD do contracts for pundits, but five live radio, no.

Seeing which of our marginal players is ready to step up is 1st team duty.

I agree it's a grey area. He sees these players day in day out in training. Watching the development squad and youth teams play isn't a 1st team responsibility but it's something he should be doing where possible or if Penney/coughlan etc feel it would be helpful.

I agree it's a grey area. He sees these players day in day out in training. Watching the development squad and youth teams play isn't a 1st team responsibility but it's something he should be doing where possible or if Penney/coughlan etc feel it would be helpful.
Seeing them in training is light years away from seeing them in a match. I have several individuals that do not train well but always put on a good performance in competition and vice versa.

To come out and say what he did then bugger off to do media work is not acceptable, on this occasion given how recent results have gone he should have been at the game last night.

Thing is I think that it is becoming more apparent that he has a lot of input in who plays in development games (Ipswich game hardly had any development players), this game he asked who out of the first team wanted to play, and they were played, which you may say is his prerogative. My view is, if he is choosing the team, he should be watching them.

I only ask as he could've been at the game for any number of reasons, to watch a player, or schmooze with a scout or agent for instance, but the fact he was seemingly only there to do paid-for media work makes his decision even more questionable.

It's rank hypocrisy to suggest to a group of players that an Essex Senior Cup fixture is important for them to impress him, but not important enough for him to be there in person. I completely understand he has deputies that he should be delegating some tasks to, but to make such a big deal out of the match only to then disregard it for the sake of some pocket money? No thanks.
He makes a big deal out of everything ..........then delivers sod all!

Well he's not going to dash up to Shrewsbury after a junior blues day at Boots and Laces for nothing. Not a nice journey. He was a pundit for Five Live v Chelsea in the Capital One Cup. An early round match in a cup that's lost it's importance as well.
So yes, he would definitely have been paid for that media work.
Meanwhile, our ship is sinking fast, and the captains off to do a little job on the side.

Perhaps Ron took him in the 'copter? ;)

I shall probably get seriously walloped for this, but if he already has Ron's agreement to carry on his media work, it may be that he was contractually required to attend at Shrewsbury. It doesn't make it right, but it may explain his absence and he has faith in his management staff. Let's face it, on current performance, his tactical nous was not missed last night.

Oh yes it was!..........we'd of had eleven men behind the ball after half-time, if he'd been there. :winking:

Apparently he was watching qpr u21s in the day. So it's not unreasonable that the evening is free for whatever he wants to do

Not when members of you're currently under performing 1st team are involved in a competitive match.

Personally, I'd like to hear Brown's side of this & his version of events.

This place is turning into the daily mail comments section.

Firstly, he obviously trusts his staff's opinions enough to net feel the need to be there personally, and secondly the game will have been filmed, meaning that he can watch it at his leisure.

This place is turning into the daily mail comments section.

Firstly, he obviously trusts his staff's opinions enough to net feel the need to be there personally, and secondly the game will have been filmed, meaning that he can watch it at his leisure.

That's besides the point. Yes, an ESC tie is of marginal interest to us and under usual orders I wouldn't necessarily expect to see Brown there (although with us hardly setting League Two on fire at the moment, I'd have hoped he'd be doing everything in his power and efforts to resolve that).

But Brown gave the game extra importance when he said the tie was a chance for fringe players to impress him. Not Coughlan, not Penney, him. What kind of message does that then send to said fringe players if the manager who's spent the previous day hyping the game's importance in the press prioritises making himself some extra money over it?

for me this is one of priorities. He can only be in one place at one time so which is more of a priority for him?

I could well understand if we were top of the league and everything in the garden was rosy, but its not and we keep hearing how the players are working hard to put things right. In terms of changing the way we played and the result it probably would have made little difference, however it is poor PR.

And as for 'its probably in/or not in his contract', my contract is 9.00 - 17.00 Monday to friday, but I cannot remember when I last started as early as that or finished that early or had a weekend work free!

Give the man a break! One minute the majority of posters are calling for his head, then we have a good run of results and the majority of posters are delighted,then we have another poor run and want to blame Brown for everything (probably including the crisis in Syria and the spread of Ebola). Having supported the club for close to 40 years may I suggest that if you are looking for the near perfect manager and year on year success go to Stamford Bridge not Roots Hall

Brown being absent last night was disgraceful in my books and no one will convince me otherwise.

If we're flying high and playing like a well oiled machine then I could forgive him, but we've been abysmal in the last five games and he should be taking an even closer look at the fringe players. He might see them in training every day but that in no way compensates for missing an opportunity to see them play a competitive game.

If my manager gave me an opportunity to stake a claim for the first team, played on the importance of it and then didn't even turn up, I'd be pretty ****ed off. Say one of the fringe players had a blinder, would Brown really listen to Penney and Coughlan and involve him next game? Or would he be as stubborn as a muel and stick with the players that have tried and failed in the last five games because he's seen them play and they're not an unknown quantity?

Five games without a win, 2 points from a possible 15 and we're playing second fiddle to Brown's media bollocks. Well done Ron, 4 year contract for a manager who's increasingly alienating himself from the very fans you rely on for your existence. **** take.

Apparently he was watching qpr u21s in the day. So it's not unreasonable that the evening is free for whatever he wants to do

Sorry but don't agree - being a Football Manager is not a 9-5 job in my opinion, so if a Team representing his Employer is engaged in a professional activity for which they are being paid, then in my opinion so should PB.

I think it is disgraceful!

Sorry but don't agree - being a Football Manager is not a 9-5 job in my opinion, so if a Team representing his Employer is engaged in a professional activity for which they are being paid, then in my opinion so should PB.

I think it is disgraceful!

I think people could do with calming down a little bit. Disgraceful, really?

I've said several times that I think PB should have been there last night.

My point is that if he was working on 1st team activities all day then it isn't unreasonable that he isn't working in the evening. Yes like most people he has a job where you have to do long days, nights, more hours than contracted etc. I was just making the point that he can fill his spare time with media work if he wants.

Would people have been kicking off so much if he'd been chilling at home rather than on the radio?

Again - IMO he should have been there, but I don't think it's a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I think people could do with calming down a little bit. Disgraceful, really?

I've said several times that I think PB should have been there last night.

My point is that if he was working on 1st team activities all day then it isn't unreasonable that he isn't working in the evening. Yes like most people he has a job where you have to do long days, nights, more hours than contracted etc. I was just making the point that he can fill his spare time with media work if he wants.

Would people have been kicking off so much if he'd been chilling at home rather than on the radio?

Again - IMO he should have been there, but I don't think it's a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Short working day though if he had to get all the way over to Shrewsbury......................

Back