• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Finished last night.
X TROOP
Author, Leah Garret.
Story of a special Commando unit that fought through Europe during the second world war.
Consisting of Jewish men who had to flee Germany.
There Story has only recently been released from the archives.
Very brave men

Finished last night.
X TROOP
Author, Leah Garret.
Story of a special Commando unit that fought through Europe during the second world war.
Consisting of Jewish men who had to flee Germany.
There Story has only recently been released from the archives.
Very brave men

Many thanks. That's very kind of you to take the time to send it.
I've been reading a lot of history of late.
An book of Christene Granville is well worth reading. A very brave spy.

Just finished Charmain Clift's Peel Me a Lotus, a book about expat.Life on Hydra back in the 60's.At that time she was married to ex-journo. and writer George Johnson.Together they were responsible for starting up the artistic colony on the island.According to Leonard Cohen "they were an inspiration." Sadly this is not a good book.

Just finished Viv Akbertine's excellent autobiography,Clothes,Music,Boys.(she was lead guitarist in The Slits).This is a wonderfully ,honest and 100% feminist book.

MY thanks to Rob Noxious for sending me this as a birthday pressie.

Finished Buchi Emecheta' S In the Ditch .A Pengunin classic re-issue of her 1970's first novel.A must read I'd've thought for any sociology student or anyone interested in social work.

Finished David Kynaston's excellent A Northern Wind :Britain 1962-65-a social and political history- yesterday.First one of the series that I can actually remember living through.So caught the start of Beatlemania in 62 ,courtesy of someone having a tranny in my last year at Earls hall Primary School and playing the Beatles Love me Do, just before class:.Remember a faourite Gran letting us stay up late up late on Sat.nights (when our parents were quite literally at the dogs) to watch TV3 on the box.Also Churchill's funeral,the big freeze of 62/3 etc.There's also an obvious paraell between the fall of Super Mac's Tories after 13 years and the present lot (Profumo affair apart). :Winking:

Just getting to the end of Stargazing by Peter Hill.

It’s the autobiography of a trainee lighthouse keeper in Scotland back in the early 1970s & his tales of moving around the onshore & offshore lighthouses of the Shetlands, Orkney isles etc.

Very well written harkening back to a time when our lives weren’t dominated by technology & speed.

It made me quite wistful & nostalgic for the part of my life when everything seemed a wee bit simpler. Highly recommended.

Finally finished Paul Auster's massive 4321.Much as I admire PA's work I could do without the magical realism..So one version of this fictional "truth" would have ben fine with me rather than 4.Liked the references throughout to the 60's s political scene though.

Last edited:
Just getting to the end of Stargazing by Peter Hill.

It’s the autobiography of a trainee lighthouse keeper in Scotland back in the early 1970s & his tales of moving around the onshore & offshore lighthouses of the Shetlands, Orkney isles etc.

Very well written harkening back to a time when our lives weren’t dominated by technology & speed.

It made me quite wistful & nostalgic for the part of my life when everything seemed a wee bit simpler. Highly recommended.
Thank you for the review.
I have been reading history books for to long.
This seems to be factual light relief.
I will get onto Waterstones in the morning.

David Kynaston's On the Cusp: Days of '62.1962 was,of course, the year in which the Beatles first single Love Me Do was released,Can Still remember hearing it on someone's tranny at Earl Hall Primary School.This is a superb social,culteral &,political history of the time.

Thank you for the review.
I have been reading history books for to long.
This seems to be factual light relief.
I will get onto Waterstones in the morning.
Book ordered. Pick up on Thursday.
It will take over from. "The Rest is History".

Just finished Stargazing by Peter Hill.
Really enjoyable read about a lighthouse keeper in Scotland.
Recommended on this site.

Back