• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Only thing I can think of is that he wants attacking outlets in the vast most part in midfield. Atkinson is an attacker, Laid more of a defender
Laird can find that killer pass through the middle which has been evident of late that the current midfield three cannot.

The Hull game was the turning point for some reason. We beat Portsmouth, mauled Millwall, drew against Plymouth and then mauled Chesterfield before losing 2-0 to Hull and not winning for 10 games, why? I've no doubt that this current team he is sticking with week in week out will come good again, but how long do we have to wait? We simply can't afford to wait otherwise the playoffs will be a distant memory.

Laird in for Atkinson, let him hold the midfield and give Lenny authority to get forward more and get Payne in for Straker. Payne scores 12 goals in 12 reserve games from midfield and still can't get a start in a midfield that's been ineffective for a while now? Makes a mockery of these friendlies if performance counts for nothing. Not saying playing Laird, Payne and Williams is the answer, but they've all done well in the reserves and I'd honestly rather see us lose the next game with the likes of them trying their bollocks off and bringing something new to the table than I would see us lose the next game seeing the same tired, out of form players with their heads down.

Very, very frustrating. The posts saying sack Brown and the witch hunt for Bentley is ridiculous though. Shows what a fickle bunch some are. We're not the only team that has suffered a spell of bad form in a season but that doesn't make Brown a s**t manager and it doesn't make Bentley a s**t keeper! Remember when we were top of the form table, tearing this league a new one and everyone thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread??

Laird doesn't fit PB's mould it seems to me. He realises that he has a decent player in Laird but he prefers not to start him. It doesn't make any sense to me, but I'm not the manager. It could be as simple as he doesn't like the bloke. I've seen good players ignored for that reason before now although no manager would admit it publically.

Did not the slump coincide with the arrival of "premiership striker" (to qoute PB) Lee Barnard.... who since arriving I have seen touch the ball approx 4 times and have zero shots on goal!

Laird's main problem was he was injured at the time our midfield really fired into life and dominated games.

That time has gone though so he surely deserves a chance now.

Having been to Northampton - and seen Laird be the only player who played well, I can't believe he hasn't started since (just as I couldn't believe when he was taken off at Sixfields)

laird should be starting games our back four is been torn apart at this moment in time,
pb is still a good manager though and Bentley is our number one

Laird should clearly be in the starting line-up, but he's not the defensive midfielder everyone seems to assume he is.

Whilst his work-rate is a key feature of his game, he pressures opponents higher up the pitch than a defensive midfielder sitting in front of the defence would and often gets beyond the ball - something Corr would benefit from a team-mate doing once in a while.

Remember when he first signed Laird was playing the attacking role to Mkandawire's holding role. Similarly earlier this season it was Leonard, not Laird, who was playing deeper amongst the midfielders. Whilst Laird has a good all-round game and would improve us defensively, he's not a defensive midfielder.

I'm not sure on any comments about Atkinson being an attacking player. Watch him run with the ball. His head is down the whole time so he will never be able to spot a run for an incisive pass.

Quite apart from being a much better passer of the ball I really do think Laird is more likely to get on the scoresheet than Atkinson.
It is not just because we are in a bad run that Bentley needs to continue his learning from the bench-he's too young and inexperienced,and his ghastly errors v Dagenham and Newport led to the 2 defeats amidst our excellent run pre-Christmas.

Been saying for weeks Laird needs to come in. Total breath of fresh air to the side.

Instead he's beneath Conor Clifford in the pecking order. As far as I can see all he brings to the side is an increased possibility of a red card.

Quite apart from being a much better passer of the ball I really do think Laird is more likely to get on the scoresheet than Atkinson.

Apart from when he gets a nosebleed in front of goal as happened earlier in the season! If there's one player you don't want in on goal with a fantastic chance, then it would appear to be Marc Laird!

Wasnt there a story earlier in the season where he was saying he hadnt scored in over a year.

Only scored 2 last year so not sure Id class him as a goal threat personally.

Wasnt there a story earlier in the season where he was saying he hadnt scored in over a year.

Only scored 2 last year so not sure Id class him as a goal threat personally.

No I wouldn't either(he has 1 goal from 8 starts this season),but I repeat :he is still more likely to score than Atkinson(1 goal from 36 starts).

Think that when Laird plays we are a better team, more fight and bite in the team but how can we put Phil browns love child (Will atkinson) with Leonard, timlin and laird, I still don't know what Atkinson does, he does pass he just runs about, bottles every challenge.

Lairdo Marcadona is clearly the answer to your current quandary. A few more Borient rejects and you might be ready to challenge the big clubs like Rochdale and Burton.

Back