• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question What did you used to wear in the North Bank?

Pak Power

Manager⭐
Was it scarf round the wrist? or both if you could afford two?

For me It was 18 eyelet dm's Those blue/green stayprest trousers (can't remember the names of em) and a ben sherman shirt !

Then on top of which was a white warehouse coat (Clockwork Orange)
influenced. with football chants and PAK POWER on the back ! I even got Stuart Brace to sign it once (who)

Seeing as my North Bank years were between the ages of six and nine - pretty much whatever my Mum told me to wear. I imagine she made sure I was 'well wrapped up' at all times.

I like the scarves round the wrists thing; haven't done that since going to a game in Germany. Bang up for that.

Harrington jacket, Ben Sherman short sleeve check shirt, Sta-Prest plain or Oxford bags check trousers, occasionally worn with braces, Doc Martens boots or platform shoes. Wooly scarf around the neck and a silk scarf hanging from the wrist.

i can see it now!

this-is-england.jpg

Firlholm blue and yellow shirt, jeans with ripped knees and blue and yellow generic branded trainers. Was only about ten in fairness.

Scarf around the wrist with my beaver home shirt n jeans, talking of the north bank my best memory wwas the wet spam fan at the exit offering us all out after Brettie Angell has just done them 1-0 i think, did anyone give him a kicking????

As I only started to go into the North Bank when I was at college, outfit would have been - Black Leather Bikers Jacket, Metal T-shirt (various artists), a shirt brought from Oh Yeah, Stone washed jeans, Converse/DM.

When I could afford it: Tonics, Ben Sherman, Frank White Brogues, Red Socks, Silk Scarf round neck (pikey style).

For an away match at Brentford I remember wearing Army Greens, DM boots, a Rangers shirt (closest you could buy to the Blue, Red and White shirt we wore), and a Butchers Coat.... oh and about 6 Brentford scarves that I picked up from somewhere. I'd forgotten all about that little ritual.

Suffolk Blue, would your surname begin with P, and did you go to school in Pitsea?

A scarf round my neck

Is that all? Its a wonder you never froze.

Back in the day Southend probably had the scruffiest firm in the country. When I first ventured into the Holy Land that was the North Bank the general attire seemed to be cherry blosom DM's and donkey jackets all round. The silk scarf around the wrist was standard uniform as was the knotted woolen one around the neck. I remember a fellow known as Blondie who wore two of them on the wrist and everytime he raised his hands to start a chant, you got slashed if you stood too close. I'm convinced he used to starch the things. It makes me smile looking back now at dozens of donkey jacketed yobs charging around the carpark trying to batter the opposition. Unless you copped one in the face you never felt a thing. I miss my donkey.

With the re-birth of the mod/skinhead movement in the late 70's the clothing greatly improved and, I'm glad to say, so did the appearance of the North Bank faithful. Donkey Jackets were replaced with parkas and crombies, hush puppies and brogues, Fred Perrys and Ben Shermans and Pork Pie hats and Trilbys. Well the hat thing wasn't the wised thing to wear, especially when we scored. It was 1 minute of celebration and another 10 trying to find your hat. I'm sure I never went home with the same hat twice.

And then the casual scene arrived and Southend really let the side down. It seemed that while every other team brought supporters clad in Lois Jeans, Lyle & Scott and Fila, topped off with Forest Hill trainers,we were togged out in denim, denim and more denim. Check out some of the old photos kicking about on the net of the Southend v Lincoln clashes. By christ we were a bunch of tramps in comparison to the kitted out Transit Elite. Still kicked the excess out of them though. We did have two fellows who made the effort, one even had a deerstalker hat but on the whole, we stunk.

Thankfully, when the original CS boys came on the scene they smartened the place up a treat. By this time of course the football shirts were everywhere but you have to hand it to the Wickford boys, they brought back a bit of style to proceedings. It wasn't just them though. Noteable neatness and style must also go to Wilmot Brown, Barry the Dog and Cockles who have all posted on here in the pass and set a few decent standards in the clothing department.

No doubt fashion will change again in time and new trend setters will take up the mantle but please, no more denim jackets.

I still like Donkey Jackets though.

Back