• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question What is making you happy today?

A very pleasant stroll around most of Canvey Island, walking along the sea wall. About 11km and as an added bonus I bumped in to some of my wife's family while on my yomp.

A very pleasant stroll around most of Canvey Island, walking along the sea wall. About 11km and as an added bonus I bumped in to some of my wife's family while on my yomp.

Ran the Canvey Marathon back in 83 & 84, before Sunday opening of most shops, so traffic free.
The route was 3 times round the outside of the Island, plus a handful of side roads, to make up the 26.2 miles. It started & finishing at Furtherwick Park School.
Went back a year ago, to place my wife's ash's on her brothers grave in what's now the Church heritage centre in Long Rd. So many more house been built since my Marathon days there, amazed the Island hasn't sunk!. Happy memories of those 2 Marathons though.

Ran the Canvey Marathon back in 83 & 84, before Sunday opening of most shops, so traffic free.
The route was 3 times round the outside of the Island, plus a handful of side roads, to make up the 26.2 miles. It started & finishing at Furtherwick Park School.
Went back a year ago, to place my wife's ash's on her brothers grave in what's now the Church heritage centre in Long Rd. So many more house been built since my Marathon days there, amazed the Island hasn't sunk!. Happy memories of those 2 Marathons though.

I never knew there was a Canvey Marathon! I was living there at the time but only a young lad so I guess it passed me by.

Every day's a school day here at SZ...

I never knew there was a Canvey Marathon! I was living there at the time but only a young lad so I guess it passed me by.

Every day's a school day here at SZ...

You and me both mate! Is this still happening or no longer through health and safety grounds!

I'm sure there isn't one now. There was a 10k for a while, not even sure that is still going though.
If you want a longer run there is the Benfleet 15 ( miles) in January, off road and includes most of Hadleigh's hills, and lots of Canvey sea wall.

Was able to buy the special edition coloured vinyl of The Zombies brilliant album Odessy and Oracle .

I'm sure there isn't one now. There was a 10k for a while, not even sure that is still going though.

You are correct 1984 was the last one. Ran several 1/2 Marathons on the Island, last one they organised was in 86. Did 3 10k's there 98-2000, which started & finished at the then Kings Club.
84 ran 3.15mins in Marathon, 86 ran 1.21mins in 1/2 Marathon, was a 'fit *******' in those days!.

You are correct 1984 was the last one. Ran several 1/2 Marathons on the Island, last one they organised was in 86. Did 3 10k's there 98-2000, which started & finished at the then Kings Club.
84 ran 3.15mins in Marathon, 86 ran 1.21mins in 1/2 Marathon, was a 'fit *******' in those days!.
There used to be a 5 miler for Gosh, called Nicola’s 5 ,organised by a mate of mine in th
In the late 80’s. Never ran it myself but lead it round on my bike a couple of times

See that Spain are playing Tunisia on Saturday.Also we're off to the Delta (del Ebro) for the weekend to celebrate my wife's birthday.Think Canvey (plus beach weather ). :smile:

There used to be a 5 miler for Gosh, called Nicola’s 5 ,organised by a mate of mine in th
In the late 80’s. Never ran it myself but lead it round on my bike a couple of times

Steve Kemp? the race was in memory of his daughter Nicola. Nice guy, good runner for Southend Athletics Club too. I haven't seen him at runs/races for a few years or more.

Back