• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What's wrong?

• Everything is wrong - Brown out!

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • We need a striker

Votes: 41 22.2%
  • We play the wrong formation/tactics

Votes: 52 28.1%
  • A mixture of personnel and tactics

Votes: 45 24.3%
  • Nothing is wrong

Votes: 39 21.1%
  • Bart/Abstain/OBL

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters
BBBC didn't resign :sad:
I have to agree with this - we looked more threatening when he played. Apart from that, I don't think there's a huge amount wrong - formations against Walsall and Swindon were slightly strange (very strange against Walsall).

I honestly think the first win is just round the corner though.

Is there any other sort of dinosaur than an old one?

Get with the kids RHB..... :facepalm:

images

Possibly needed multiple options here, but I plumped with "Need a Striker" as that is probably the most urgent requirement at this point. Hopefully it is clear to all that the summer pantomime, "Chasing Piggott", was a waste of time although those still wearing their rose tinted Wembley glasses might need a few more games to concede this point.

The deeper underlying issue is the lack of quality in the side that can win games in League One, many of our players are treading water at this level and I'm a little disappointed we've not strengthened in some other areas. We don't really have any players in midfield who will consistently churn out the required level of performance, sure we have "on their day" players who might pull off good games (Timlin, Worrall etc) but no constants. This could be remedied by bringing in Garvan in my opinion, who is a superb player and still quite young yet experienced.

I have to say that I was disappointed with our squad (in terms of ability) as a whole before we kicked off against Fleetwood on the first day, and it seems like we're being found wanting quite early on.

Missing out on McCleod could be a disaster for us, we'd have been better off paying the money as we're going to lose that in earnings when we head back to League Two next season.

Hopefully Brown and Ron will realize all of this before the transfer window closes, but I doubt it.

Too many workmanlike players and not enough (or any) players with the ability to make people excited. Every great Southend side has had a talisman, someone who gets the crowd going, which gets the players more into the match. Even people like Bilel god bless his soul had that intangible quality that could change a game at any point.

Could Wordsworth be that guy? Perhaps, but it's all well and good buying bread and butter players like Mooney, you need something extra at this level. A wildcard. A Tommy Black.

I think we've been unlucky in the fixtures we've had. So far we've played 3 of the top 7 (will be 4 when we play Coventry next week). We've got good draws against 2 of them, and have been unlucky to lose one of the other 2. I didn't see the Walsall game so can't comment.

The thing about those fixtures is that for the last 2, we've effectively been forced to play 5 in midfield to counter the same for the opposition. Certainly before the Doncaster game, it was felt that was what we needed to do, and if we hadn't done the same on Saturday, we'd have been torn apart.

However, we 've been the better side in the last 2 games, and with a bit more luck could easily be sitting with 7 points. So, I don't think anyone can really criticise the formations / tactics. FWIW, I think PB has got it tactically spot on so far this season.

Summing up, we need to get the Coventry fixture out of the way, if we get a point, that will be fantastic. And then we can hopefully have some easier fixtures, where we can be a bit more open in the way we play. I'm still convinced we'll be mid table by the end of the season.

I think we've been unlucky in the fixtures we've had. So far we've played 3 of the top 7 (will be 4 when we play Coventry next week). We've got good draws against 2 of them, and have been unlucky to lose one of the other 2. I didn't see the Walsall game so can't comment.

The thing about those fixtures is that for the last 2, we've effectively been forced to play 5 in midfield to counter the same for the opposition. Certainly before the Doncaster game, it was felt that was what we needed to do, and if we hadn't done the same on Saturday, we'd have been torn apart.

However, we 've been the better side in the last 2 games, and with a bit more luck could easily be sitting with 7 points. So, I don't think anyone can really criticise the formations / tactics. FWIW, I think PB has got it tactically spot on so far this season. (sorry, cheap shot I know BB, couldn't resist).

Summing up, we need to get the Coventry fixture out of the way, if we get a point, that will be fantastic. And then we can hopefully have some easier fixtures, where we can be a bit more open in the way we play. I'm still convinced we'll be mid table by the end of the season.

Apart from the first half at Fleetwood and the whole 90 minutes against Walsall, I think you are spot on. (sorry, cheap shot I know BB, couldn't resist).

Brown plays numerous new fangled formations and not old fashioned 442 and gets called a dinosaur. :facepalm:

I have no idea why we are where we are. We have put in two decent away performances and one home game yet only got 2 points.

Hunt being injured hasnt helped and not keeping a settled team does us no favours, but when they played like they did against Walsall changes had to be made.

Need a big striker, crossing into the box doesn't work when all your strikers are short. Failing that we need to change tactics so our strikers are getting it at their feet more.

Brown plays numerous new fangled formations and not old fashioned 442 and gets called a dinosaur. :facepalm:

I have no idea why we are where we are. We have put in two decent away performances and one home game yet only got 2 points.

Hunt being injured hasnt helped and not keeping a settled team does us no favours, but when they played like they did against Walsall changes had to be made.

Under Phil at the Hall in league only,we have managed 55 goals in 51 games,his new fangled formations clearly don't work that well with only 1 goal on average per game,pretty crap really.

Under Phil at the Hall in league only,we have managed 55 goals in 51 games,his new fangled formations clearly don't work that well with only 1 goal on average per game,pretty crap really.

Also resulted in promotion.

I dont mind 4231 but would rather 442, but the point is he clearly isnt a "dinosaur", if anything he is the opposite.

For me, I don't think there is too much wrong. I think the club should be looking at a coach who has proven attacking experience. We look naive and too honest, when we need to have more inventiveness and killer creativity. Brown should be encouraging the players to get in opponents faces and take them on and have a shot, instead of playing it out to the wings, pass it about and put in a woeful cross.

Without stating the obvious, i couldnt care less right now what formation PB plays, just along as we grind out a win and pick up those points.

I would be happy with a point away at Coventry (although im not holding up much hope right now) but based on our team performance againt Swindon, im genuinly feeling that we can get a few wins under our belt in our 5 games during September (against Peterborough, Shrewsbury, Millwall, Scunthorpe & Crewe).

For me, I don't think there is too much wrong. I think the club should be looking at a coach who has proven attacking experience. We look naive and too honest, when we need to have more inventiveness and killer creativity. Brown should be encouraging the players to get in opponents faces and take them on and have a shot, instead of playing it out to the wings, pass it about and put in a woeful cross.

.....................Wanted.jpg

Back