• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What's your favorite pint?

Had a couple of halves at the Cliffs beer fest yesterday, and really loved the Springhead Brewery's 'Ginger Pig', which is based on a 13th century beer made with rosemary & ginger, could really taste the rosemary which was surprisingly lovely.

One I discovered recently I am enjoying is Badgers Bandford Flyer, 3 for a fiver in Sainsburys at the moment.

Dark ales are my tipple of choice. I do like a Oscar Wilde from Mighty Oak brewery, and Young's Double Chocolate Stout is too sweet for most but is a cracker for one or two.

This time of year is not much good for me as pubs seem to think when the sun shines they have to offer a load of golden ales and IPAs. Off to the Chappel Beer Festival in about half an hour though, so that should provide plenty of options for me

Went to a fantastic 'pub' near Tower Hill last night, Wilton's Music Hall, London's oldest music hall which has been saved from dereliction and opened as a pub to raise money to renovate it. And on tap had unusual ales & cider, no crappy lagers whatsoever and not even any cola! I had a couple of pints of Adnam's Old Ale which while a bit darker than my usual choice was a lovely drop, and my mate was very happy to find they serve Köstritzer Schwarzbier (German Black Ale), which he discovered in Berlin but has never found in London before. http://wiltons.org.uk/index.php?p=234

At the start of the year I brewed an American Pale Ale (trying to be a bit like Brooklyn EIPA/Sierra Nevada Pale Ale). Whacked loads of cascade hops in it and it tasted amazing. I saved two bottles and had one last night, after 6 months of maturing - holy crap, the smell of citrus filled the whole room! It tasted amazing but with more than a hint of citrus... a bit like someone had accidentally spilled some Jif in it! Never realised that cascade matured so strongly!

Enjoyed this the other day

WEB%20LAC36.jpg

Black IPA is unusual, but glad that Steel City are doing some interesting brews because Kelham Island and other local brewers have been quite safe recently.

Drastic™;1581789 said:
Went to a fantastic 'pub' near Tower Hill last night, Wilton's Music Hall, London's oldest music hall which has been saved from dereliction and opened as a pub to raise money to renovate it. And on tap had unusual ales & cider, no crappy lagers whatsoever and not even any cola! I had a couple of pints of Adnam's Old Ale which while a bit darker than my usual choice was a lovely drop, and my mate was very happy to find they serve Köstritzer Schwarzbier (German Black Ale), which he discovered in Berlin but has never found in London before. http://wiltons.org.uk/index.php?p=234

Coincidence - I went here for the first time a couple of weeks ago - cracking place. Tried about 4 different beers, including ales and the black ale. Highly recommended.

Unfortunately, I can spend a little time without looking at Homer's Bar and therefore threads like this can pass without me noticing. It was just searching for something else that permitted me to see it.
Apart from family and football one of the great losses, being an ex-pat, is not being able to have a good pint of real ale close at hand. It remains one of my great pleasures when I return to England. The fact that I am so out of date was reflected by the recent trip to Portsmouth, where I was enthusiastic about searching out a pint of Gales 'Horndean Special Bitter' I did drink it (a rushed half at the Brewers Arms) and it did taste as I remembered it back in the seventies, although it is now part of Fullers and brewed in London. Has anyone tasted their Prize Old Ale? A corked beer that seemed limited in production back in that era..........ideal for a cold winters day!
I know that pubs are disappearing at an alarming rate but micro breweries appear to spring up everywhere and seem to offer a staggering choice, alongside the standard names........makes me even sadder, not being able to sample them. As far as favourites were concerned that becomes very difficult because there were many good beers that were appreciated for their different qualities. Fullers ESB, Youngs (Just noticed it's now with Wells and also produces Courage Directors! :omg:) Gales, Harvey's, Adnams, Brakespear, Ruddles, Boddingtons, King & Barnes, Shepherd & Neame are a few that come to mind..........some probably don't exist any more! appologies if it is mainly south-east orientated, I suppose it's normal. Green King hasn't been forgotten........I do remember when the Cricketers was a Grays (Chelmsford pub). Doom Bar may not be the finest ale but is it common knowlege that, on production of a football ticket, they serve it at a reduced price after the game?
In Toulouse, (90kms from me) you had to rely on the Frog & Roastbeef to get a pint of home brewed ale, which was not brilliant. Have recently seen that two new pubs have opened, both run by Wells. Haven't managed to try them yet (not opening until 3pm makes it a bit difficult) but from what I have found out, perhaps I'll be able to sample Youngs and Directors as well as Fargo & Bombardier?

We had a very nice guest beer in the bars tonight, can't remember the name though, something Rudolphy??? :unsure:

Back