• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best goalie

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
All this thread is going to do is show the age of voters. I only saw Royce for 2 years so I've voted for Flavs as he was my era growing up watching Southend but an honorable mention to Adam Federici, i don't know how we pulled that signing off but I doubt we'll see a classier keeper wearing our shirt unless we ever one day made it to the Premier League.

All this thread is going to do is show the age of voters. I only saw Royce for 2 years so I've voted for Flavs as he was my era growing up watching Southend but an honorable mention to Adam Federici, i don't know how we pulled that signing off but I doubt we'll see a classier keeper wearing our shirt unless we ever one day made it to the Premier League.
Them sidewinder goal kicks were great...

If we had two votes each on a poll like this it would give a truer representation. For me it's Stannard and Flavs.

we need something much mores sophisitcated where you have to 'tick' the players you have actually seen and then vote for your favourite. The marking would then be the percentage of fans that had voted you number one out of those that had actually seen you . Of course there would need to be some weighting added (which is subjective) depending on how many keepers were in your 'seen list' .

Last edited:
we need something much mores sophisitcated where you ahve to 'tick' the players you have actually seen and then vote for your favourite. The marking would then be the percentage of fans that had voted you number one out of those that had actually seen you . Of course there would need to be some weighting added (which is subjective) depending on how many keepers were in your 'seen list' .

There's also the danger of people romanticising their childhood. The sort of Fred Trueman types who claim it wasn't as good as it was in their day.

I think it's helpful to also look at the players' careers in full - what level did they play at, what did they achieve outside of their time at Southend, how much were they transferred for and to who etc. It's a useful cross-reference.

There's also the danger of people romanticising their childhood. The sort of Fred Trueman types who claim it wasn't as good as it was in their day.

I think it's helpful to also look at the players' careers in full - what level did they play at, what did they achieve outside of their time at Southend, how much were they transferred for and to who etc. It's a useful cross-reference.

yeah , I voted for Roycie as well :winking:

However if Bentley wen on to play for England one day , I would still vote for Roycie as we should be looking at how the player perorned when playing for us

we need something much mores sophisitcated where you have to 'tick' the players you have actually seen and then vote for your favourite. The marking would then be the percentage of fans that had voted you number one out of those that had actually seen you . Of course there would need to be some weighting added (which is subjective) depending on how many keepers were in your 'seen list' .

Assuming both posts are serious, I think you need to bear in mind that this is a ShrimperZone poll. Statistical analysis doesn't regularly feature in SZ polls for a reason.........not too many now how to do it!

Frederici and Burridge are for me the best 2 loanees in any position that we've had playing for us since my father first took me to Grainger Road in 1947. I have no idea how we got either of them here. The best of our own goalies? I can't separate Neil Freeman from Simon Royce.

Sammy was the best all-round keeper. Edges out Roycey as he couldn't kick the ball much further than the edge of his area.

Simon Royce was our best keeper but if you look too the future i can see Daniel being the best but for another club

If all loanees are included, this would be my top 5:

1. Royce
2. Federici
3. Sansome
4. Flahaven
5. Bentley

Fingers crossed I hope we can add Ted Smith to the mix in a few years.

Federici closely followed by Bentley for me....unfortunately, due to my age...my only real memory of seeing Roycey at Roots Hall was in our 5-0 win against QPR

Back