• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who should be our next manager?

Who do we want as Manager

• Barrett

Votes: 136 34.8%
  • Fagan

Votes: 112 28.6%
  • Paul Hurst

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Tilson

Votes: 30 7.7%
  • Tilson/Maher

Votes: 59 15.1%
  • Brown

Votes: 27 6.9%
  • Bentley

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 37 9.5%
  • Bart

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • Tisdale

Votes: 29 7.4%
  • Maher

Votes: 52 13.3%

• Total voters
As the board's foremost contrarian, who do you think should be the lead candidate?

I'm sure you've got some unfashionable choice that has so far been overlooked.
No I think we should have Andy rammell for manager , Lars I get for assistant along with Paul Parker. Steve spittle as goal keeper coach and pat sharp head of advertising.
Also scouting team of penny picker Steve, Dagenham Kev and Nigel bond the snooker player.

Would think that Wayne Brown would be top of the Colchester wanted list. Not sure Craig Fagan would be in the frame for a return.

Brown had a significant number of Academy players at Maldon and Tiptree, which has to be seen as an advantage.

Bond
Powell
Brown
Sturrock
Tilson
Wignall

Our only few coaches since the 2000's?

I can't see Sturrock due to health.

Sturrock is sadly in poor health so won’t be him. For obvious reasons it won’t be Bond. Wignall wasn’t great first time round and Waddock has just got the assistant job at Cambridge.

Has to be between Powell and Brown, but I just can’t see Powell wanting the job again so got to be Brown. Only other possible one I can think of is Rob Newman, but he’s head of Manchester City’s Spanish scouting network and I would seriously question the man’s sanity if he wanted to leave that role to come here!

Reactions: GBJ
Not Phil Brown please lord not Phil Brown
I have heard rumours before that there has been contact between club and PB and that he was open to a return.

My assumption at the time was perhaps in a DoF type capacity.
Would be very surprised if PB came back as Manager.
Personally on the basis I described with Fagan promoted to Head Coach (the relationship between PB and Fagan being a strong one). I think that could work.
Fagan has great potential and an experienced head to lean on where needed would be helpful perhaps.

Anyway I think it is PB..

BTW for those who say a DoF is an expense we can't afford- not necessarily so at all. Just because it has the word "Director" in the title does not automatically mean they get paid more than a typical L1 or L2 manager. And with a DoF probably the coaching team at first team level would be reduced by one to compensate.

Would think that Wayne Brown would be top of the Colchester wanted list. Not sure Craig Fagan would be in the frame for a return.

Brown had a significant number of Academy players at Maldon and Tiptree, which has to be seen as an advantage.

Wayne (BNP) Brown certainly wont be taking a knee before kick-off

Bond
Powell
Brown
Sturrock
Tilson
Wignall

Our only few coaches since the 2000's?

I can't see Sturrock due to health.

From that list, Bond & Wignall have zero chance.

Not too sure about Sturrock’s health these days, or whether it would be a factor in him working full time. I thought that he retired and said he was done with the game due to it, but I can’t remember for sure. Also, returning to this club after the shocking way he was treated back then? I dunno. He was a dignified man, so seems unlikely, but not impossible.

Chris Powell made mistakes, but was largely unlucky during his time here. I’d assume he’s happy in the England setup.

Brown. Hmm. He certainly would fit the bill. But has he forgiven Ron for their little spat over monies owed?

I wouldn't be opposed to Brown so long as Ron puts his foot down on buying aging ex-premier league players, that's where it started to go wrong under him.

PB shamelessly touting himself for a mangers job.....Im sure he has had a chuckle knowing the response it will get.

Its not easy being an Echo sports journo this summer.

I fail to understand the compunction to look to the past instead of the future. Our heroes of yesteryear are, as with Powell, likely to lose some of the lustre from their golden image if they fail to impress as a manager. Give a new guy the chance. Someone hungry, ambitious and above all grateful for the opportunity. Too many of the names bandied about give me the impression they think they would be doing us a favour.

The important thing for me is that Brown states that Ron hasn't been in contact with him. That tells me this is a non starter.... Thank goodness.

Sturrock is sadly in poor health so won’t be him. For obvious reasons it won’t be Bond. Wignall wasn’t great first time round and Waddock has just got the assistant job at Cambridge.

Has to be between Powell and Brown, but I just can’t see Powell wanting the job again so got to be Brown. Only other possible one I can think of is Rob Newman, but he’s head of Manchester City’s Spanish scouting network and I would seriously question the man’s sanity if he wanted to leave that role to come here!

Paul Clark and Peter Taylor are local and have the club at their heart but Phil Brown using this to get his name back in the headlines remains the most likely one.

Back