• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who were you in the playground?

Initially I was George Best for a short while & then Allan Clarke. The Allan Clarke thing went as far as I always had to where the No. 8 shirt, regardless of what sport I was playing & 8 is still my lucky number 30+ years on!

BTW, I wasn't living in Southend then!

On a really sad note, I met Allan Clarke in the hospitality during LUFC v Southend game. I was like a tongue tied kid again!! I could post the photo on here that I had taken with him!!!

When I moved to Southend, I would be Colin Morris or Stuart Parker in the playground.

Scully or Spinner when I was a lad cos i used to like playing in defence.

However if I was upfront I would have been Brettie Angell!

God i feel old !

I was steve coppell, my absolute hero !

In reality i was probably more of a steven clark, potential without really giving it my all.

David Crown. We it came to scoring goals, he was most definitly the king. I remember trying to emulate a penalty he scored against Gillingham before giving the Gills fans a certain 'two fingered salute' after hitting the onion sack.

After slamming my rubber Cannon ball home into the wire mesh, I ran around the concrete playground and gave the dinner lady the V sign.

Got sent home that afternoon.:p

I was always Van Basten, and loved to re create his goal in the 88 Euro Championship final by casually volleying the ball over the fence, past some trees and onto the railway line a good 40 feet away from where i was actually aiming.....

I alway pretended to be Steve Tilson as Iam very good with free kick and set pieces and can play in midfield and in full back postion, cos of my pace so I alway play up front so I be Collymore.

Billy Best ,and then his replacement main Striker who was about 2ft taller and totally different and who still works for the club now ( something to do with the Youth I think ) Bill Garner .

Two legends, no, great legends that gave me and many others much to cheer about.

One game on a Friday night really sticks out in my mind was playing S****thorp, they had this little live wire on the wing who really ripped us apart. We lost 3-2 and that little fellow moved onto Liverpool under the name of K. Keegan. Funnily enough I met him on the underground (half hour after our FA Cup game against Fulham, which we lost a few seasons back), have to say a real nice gent.

Initially iwas John McKinven and then turned into PELE! (and occasionally Eusebio).

Back