• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Absolutely correct, a very poor performance
Set up for us wasn't correctl, allowed the back (although not at their best) to get overrun
As I bleated on many occasions on here , Brown lost the Changing room long before this Bolton job came up
Ron needs to release him of any obligation and see him on his way
For me Chris Powell to come in and Galvanise a club again
Long way home now
UTB

You are Ron Martin and I claim my £5

Not that anything different was expected but it was another awful performance, no player can come out of that with any credit apart from perhaps young Ted Smith who was let down by the 10 experienced professionals in front of him.

Our defending was absolutely diabolical with a special mention to John White who was by far the worst player on the pitch, all they had to so was play it down the side of White who was either nowhere to be seen or hopelessly slid in allowing them to just walk past him. The Barrett and Thompson partnership doesn't work so stop using it. Bolger was much better next to Barrett. Coker was very poor and constantly gave the ball away.

The midfield and forwards were non-existent, there's nothing to say about them. We never looked like scoring but Morgan obviously felt sorry for us and gave us a goal.

PB blames our recent form on the speculation around the Bolton job saying it made the players uncertain then goes and stays at Bolton's stadium with them the night before a game. Because that's going to reassure them isn't it you ******* idiot. Most of the Brown Out calls before have been harsh as he's done a decent job and until today I didn't want him to go but it's time he went. The players weren't playing for him today and the Bolton job would be much better for him anyway so just get it over with.

They travel Friday morning and train at Bolton in the afternoon when in the North West. Did the same against Blackpool. So the players have no excuse for there performance on the pitch. We can't have a statement every time someone jumps on twitter.

£2.40 a pint, lovely sunny day, catching up with mates I haven't seen in ages, top day out. Couldn't ask for more.

Oh, the football?

Just one of those games - and it could easily have been 5 or 6 nil by half-time. Wigan wouldn't let us have the ball, they played with pace and freedom and we were slow and sideways (again). The introduction of Mooney and Payne made a difference but it could equally have been that Wigan had the points in the bag and eased off a little.

Deegan had a set to with Thommo, then immediately got booked and was taken off before the ref had the chance to send him off. But otherwise an uncontroversial match that was easily refereed.

As said in the reports above, we were poor - each Southend player was outplayed by a quicker, more confident Wigan player. Leonard had an absolute mare of a game - on a couple of occasions he was easily caught when he was "sprinting" with the ball and he looked laboured and tired. This is not to pick on him (as I could also mention White, Coker, Deegan, Atko, Barnett and McQueen as being out of their depth) but Leonard does not seem to be back to the fitness he showed before his injury.

Felt sorry for Smith in goal. Still it will be a good experience for him in the long run.

And my first visit to the new Wigan football ground and so another ground ticked off the list. :thumbsup:

They travel Friday morning and train at Bolton in the afternoon when in the North West. Did the same against Blackpool. So the players have no excuse for there performance on the pitch. We can't have a statement every time someone jumps on twitter.
Because Blackpool went well didn't it. I don't know why you're telling me about us training at Bolton as though I don't know about it when that's exactly what I'm commenting on.

I know it's not an excuse for the players but Brown's making it one and saying the speculation has negatively effected them. So training and staying at Bolton is hardly going to reduce their uncertainty, is it?

How was Ted Smith?

Looked good to me. Maybe could have got a bit more on one or two of his parries but he's clearly a very decent prospect. Wasn't vocal, but that will come with some games.

How was Ted Smith?
He looked nervous and parried a few shots into the path of their strikers when he could have maybe caught them or put them away from the danger area. But other than that had a good game making some decent saves. Can't really blame him for any of the goals, blame lies solely with the defence.

It will be easier to tell after the next two games but I think he's just about ready on that showing, he's only going to get better.

2nd best all over the pitch.. In the stands however winners, great support, thought we were at home and winning!

Because Blackpool went well didn't it. I don't know why you're telling me about us training at Bolton as though I don't know about it when that's exactly what I'm commenting on.

I know it's not an excuse for the players but Brown's making it one and saying the speculation has negatively effected them. So training and staying at Bolton is hardly going to reduce their uncertainty, is it?

Why should they change their routine, they did the same last season. The Brown to Bolton situation is no different to two weeks ago. In fact it would look worse if we had to hide in a different hotel in case some idiots on twitter think they have the scoop of the season.

We lost to a much better team on the day, but no need for the usual shrimperzone over reaction.

There’s a scene in Spielberg’s Saving Private Ryan where a Nazi soldier overpowers a young US soldier and slowly and gradually slides a knife into his chest. Today the knife was a football, the young solider was Ted Smith, and the game was an excruciating 90 minutes of torture.

Smith, a young enlistee, was thrown into the battle and was left mercilessly exposed by his supposedly experienced and disciplined defense. Each wave of enemy attack opened up gaping holes into the defensive line, and experienced defensive battlements like Coker and White were left static and crumbling while chaos ensued.

The first attack down the right defensive flank caused the wheels of John White to fall off. After that he never recovered, and the enemy knew they had an avenue they could exploit. Thompson decided too early that it was time to launch some kamikaze attacks, however he failed to find a target with his interceptions and too often left a hole down the middle. Barrett, for all his experience and craft, was not able to deal with the quick movement and power. Is this a tour too many for the ageing war hero?

In the middle line, Ryan Leonard had clearly been rushed back from the medical hospital, and was short of pace. Deegan tried to throw a grenade from an attacking position, which went backwards, bisected Coker and Thompson and caused significant damage. Deegan then got confused about whether Thompson was ally or foe, and after a confrontation did a Sergeant Pyle, stuck a 6-guage in his mouth and blew his brains out.

Worrall and Atkinson had some relative success, with their pace and guile able to provide moments of respite, and some gains in field position, but were not able to inflict a clear blow. McQueen was little boy lost, and Barnett more often than not inflicted friendly fire on his poor teammates.

With the engine in the tank spluttering and stalling, rather than make a fix to the engine, Colonel Brown decided to replace the windscreen wipers, with Barnett and McQueen given compassionate leave and Payne and Mooney entering the bloodbath. However it was only when the relatively impressive McLaughlin entered the Southend started to trouble Wigan.

The battle sluttered to its bloody conclusion. The occasional moment of joy erased by Wigan’s ability to calmly take time out of the battle, and slowly we chocked to death in our own blood.

God I’m bored. Fair play to the Southend fans to travelled and kept spirits high.

Ratings:
Smith – 6
White – 1
Barrett – 5
Thompson – 3
Coker – 4
Worrall – 5
Leonard – 2
Deegan - 2
Atkinson – 4
McQueen – 4
Barnett – 3

Subs:
Mooney – 5
Payne - 5
McLaughlin - 6

Wigan are clearly bang in form and greatly enjoyed tearing us a new one every time they came forward. Most of our players seem to have mentally gone on their holidays already so this game was men vs boys. The defence was a shambles today, Barrett excepted.

The interesting thing for me is that the team that finished the game today was pretty much the one that started the season - despite many comings and goings the team hasn't really changed and I would suggest that Brown is struggling to move things forward. Much for him to work on over the summer.

Smith 6, White 4, Thompson 5, Barrett 7, Coker 5, Deegan 6, Leonard 6, Atkinson 5, McQueen 5, Worrall 7, Barnett 5.
subs. Payne 6, Mooney 6, McLaughlin 6.

Why should they change their routine, they did the same last season. The Brown to Bolton situation is no different to two weeks ago. In fact it would look worse if we had to hide in a different hotel in case some idiots on twitter think they have the scoop of the season.

We lost to a much better team on the day, but no need for the usual shrimperzone over reaction.
I don't understand why you keep mentioning twitter I doubt Phil Brown reads twitter and even if he did you really think he'd make decisions based on it? If Phil Brown genuinely thinks the Bolton speculation is the reason we've been so poor recently then staying at Bolton is going to raise eyebrows with the players whether you like it or not. There are plenty of other hotels and training grounds in the North West of England, I can't see the players thinking anything of not staying at Bolton.

How many of the recent away games have you been to? It's easy to sit on shrimperzone and say oh it's alright we lost to the better team but when we're consistently being beaten and dominated away from home with some players putting in minimal effort and poor systems used with no intention of winning the game people are bound to be frustrated. If you look at our away form in 2016 it is no over reaction to be concerned. It's not the fact we lost today (and all the other losses of late) that annoys me it's the stupid excuses and half hearted performance.

Truly abysmal first half and some mild improvement in the second but there was a team completely disunited. Our defence was a complete shambles. John White. Possibly the most inept defensive display by a single player in the many years I have been going. He was truly awful. They look a good side and had they not gone easy on us in the second we could have been looking at record loss ever. Still. New ground. Colchester relegated. Lasagne waiting for me when I got in. Chris Powell next season. ��

We were pitiful.

That was shambolic. Wigan probably should have been four up within twenty minutes. They cut us apart at will. We just seemed to stand there and watch them do it. Completely disjointed, clueless, passionless and embarrassing. Nobody in a luminous yellow shirt comes away with any credit whatsoever. At 2-0 up Wigan took their foot off the gas, but even so they still scored two more, hit the post twice, had one disallowed and missed two sitters. Our goal, a comedy oggie, summed the day up.

It's gone dreadfully tits up in the last few months, where we've been frankly awful. I just wish PB would confirm what his plans are for next season coz this isn't fair on those of us who are paying to watch this spineless *****.

Truly abysmal first half and some mild improvement in the second but there was a team completely disunited. Our defence was a complete shambles. John White. Possibly the most inept defensive display by a single player in the many years I have been going. He was truly awful. They look a good side and had they not gone easy on us in the second we could have been looking at record loss ever. Still. New ground. Colchester relegated. Lasagne waiting for me when I got in. Chris Powell next season. ��

Only a few weeks ago Colchester scored 3 at Wigan ............... compare that with our performance today. :'(

Back