• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We've been crucified by the changes to the transfer window this year. Any other year we'd have had at least an emergency loan available to us with our injury situation.

Brown knew the rules well in advance of the transfer window even opening. Choosing to blow your transfer/wage budget on a small group of players who haven't strung together 50 appearances between them in the past couple of seasons is just plain stupid... not a case of the changing rules screwing us over. He should have been much better prepared, end of story!

We've been crucified by the changes to the transfer window this year. Any other year we'd have had at least an emergency loan available to us with our injury situation.

I wouldn't disagree, but we were aware of the changes and still signed two players with known injury problems. Unlucky? Perhaps, but you can't say we weren't warned.

We do seem to be continuing to ship late goals AND that is something the players and PB need to work on. Play the FULL game.

Brown knew the rules well in advance of the transfer window even opening. Choosing to blow your transfer/wage budget on a small group of players who haven't strung together 50 appearances between them in the past couple of seasons is just plain stupid... not a case of the changing rules screwing us over. He should have been much better prepared, end of story!

Absolutely. Because money isn't an object, all available players are desperate to come to Southend, and they certainly don't have any offers from other clubs. He could have had any ones he wanted, a bit like a football manager game, but he chose THEM. And we all told him at the time, didn't we. No one thought Kightly, Ferdinand, Keirnan, Turner, Robinson were good players. We all knew he'd got it wrong. He didnt' listen.
So, returning to reality, when you're SUFC manager and are already towards the upper end of where the club can reasonably expect to be - but you want to take it higher still - how do you do that? The world is not your oyster and players of genuine better quality are not beating your door down to get a contract, and there's no sugar daddy. Answer = you take a gamble on players that have been overlooked by others (Ferdinand, Fortune), or certainly have quality but are bit of a gamble fitness wise (Kightly, Kiernan, Turner) or are off the rails but you think you can tame them (Ranger). Seems perfectly understandable recruitment to me.
And sometimes it works! I seem to remember when Mr Sturrock took over and needed to sign a team quickly he gambled on those who were injury prone (Phillips, Corr), those who were headcases (Mohsni, Hall) and those that had been overlooked (Blair Sturrock). From what I can remember 4 of the 5 paid off. Surely all there is to disagree on is who is the 5th?

And sometimes it works! I seem to remember when Mr Sturrock took over and needed to sign a team quickly he gambled on those who were injury prone (Phillips, Corr), those who were headcases (Mohsni, Hall) and those that had been overlooked (Blair Sturrock). From what I can remember 4 of the 5 paid off. Surely all there is to disagree on is who is the 5th?

Yeah, Barry Corr was absolutely sh*te!:liar:

Just seen the highlights, completely bewildered how many players stopped for both of their final goals, no desire to try and defend the goal, easy pass through the middle and a completely unmarked forward for the cross who had time to control and place. There is still plenty of time and against a top team in the league, but I can't help but feel we're in a very bad place regarding football. We need to be playing football similar to how Wigan played rid of the route one football for the love of god please

Weak excuse. We knew we had three out and out CB's and did nothing as the window closed. Kiernan, Turner, Ferdinand and Brown thought not to get another in as cover?

White and Kyprianou have done well but we needed another out and out CB. Turner was signed on the 11th July and Kiernan 3rd August. Turner was known to have a long term injury but we didn't get a six month loan in despite having a month. Ferdinand's drop off has made this error more stark.

Absolutely. Because money isn't an object, all available players are desperate to come to Southend, and they certainly don't have any offers from other clubs. He could have had any ones he wanted, a bit like a football manager game, but he chose THEM. And we all told him at the time, didn't we. No one thought Kightly, Ferdinand, Keirnan, Turner, Robinson were good players. We all knew he'd got it wrong. He didnt' listen.
So, returning to reality, when you're SUFC manager and are already towards the upper end of where the club can reasonably expect to be - but you want to take it higher still - how do you do that? The world is not your oyster and players of genuine better quality are not beating your door down to get a contract, and there's no sugar daddy. Answer = you take a gamble on players that have been overlooked by others (Ferdinand, Fortune), or certainly have quality but are bit of a gamble fitness wise (Kightly, Kiernan, Turner) or are off the rails but you think you can tame them (Ranger). Seems perfectly understandable recruitment to me.

Two words, Due Diligence. Or in the case of SUFC, three words. No Due Diligance.

Until we get a settled team playing we might do something but I don’t thinks it’s going to happen this season ,so we will just have to grin and bear it and just hope we have enough to avoid relegation

Who do you blame for our injury woes?

Who signed Kiernan whilst he was carrying and injury?
Who signed turner at 33 years old who hasn't played for well over a calendar year?
Why has Robsinson been given a 3 year deal and has a touch like a baby elephant?
Why constantly play Timlin at left back when it's clear he can't defend or get forward for ****?
Why sign Hendrie if he can't even get a game when your left back breaks his leg?
Why do the players look devoid of any fight Passion and more importantly a game plan?
We have supposedly one of the best attack forces I the division but they are woefully mismanaged. Who's to blame for that?

The answer to all of the above is Brown has been found out and all he ever wants to do is blame everybody else.

His football has become slow dull and lacks any passion or aggression. We are **** poor and it has to stop.

Post of the day!!!!

I have argued for many years that the loan system was out of control. In the past it has allowed opponents to bring in cover and improve to such an extent that in some matches it has been Southend v any other player available. And runs completely against the principle of it being a team v another team (and one manager against another manager). Listening to goal highlights it used to be a commentary of one loan player after another scoring.

At the moment, we have a high number of injuries and so it seems as if a return to the old loan system would be a good idea but I would suggest that over a longer period of time the current system will benefit those teams and managers that have put together a good squad at the start of the season.

And for those that "fear" promotion I would say that Wigan have a smaller fan base than Southend but do have a better ground (although it is lacking in any character). Surely we can do better in the long term.

And for those that "fear" promotion I would say that Wigan have a smaller fan base than Southend but do have a better ground (although it is lacking in any character). Surely we can do better in the long term.

I'm not sure whether you mean do better than them as a club or merely have a better ground.

If the former, then 8 years in the Premiership, winning the FA Cup and qualifying for Europe is going to be hard to better.

If you're just talking about the ground, when you say "long term", how much longer than the 17 years Ron Martin has been promising a new ground do you have in mind ?

The big concern is the fitness of some players and the odd interesting team selection...

"Interesting" ???? Is that a euphemism for downright perverse ?

His whole tenure has been characterised, right from the beginning, by strange team selections and woeful substitutions.

Mr Angle - you are totally out of order mate. Tell me precisely which of those questions is unreasonable to ask?
A combination of dubious "big name signings with injury histories as long as your arm" and bizarre team selections of the few players that have fortuitously stayed fit (for now), are THE key factors in our abysmal away record this season. Therefore it is entirely justified to ask such questions.

And one more thing, 4 wins so far in 13 games. 2 fortuitous home wins (which even Brown conceded), an away win against 10 men and yes, one excellent home win against a Blackburn side still to adjust to life in League 1.

Pick the bones out of that.

I think he must be an obtuse angle, certainly not a cute angle. Probably a reflex action to defend the indefensible.

Who do you blame for our injury woes?

Who signed Kiernan whilst he was carrying and injury?
Who signed turner at 33 years old who hasn't played for well over a calendar year?
Why has Robsinson been given a 3 year deal and has a touch like a baby elephant?
Why constantly play Timlin at left back when it's clear he can't defend or get forward for ****?
Why sign Hendrie if he can't even get a game when your left back breaks his leg?
Why do the players look devoid of any fight Passion and more importantly a game plan?
We have supposedly one of the best attack forces I the division but they are woefully mismanaged. Who's to blame for that?

The answer to all of the above is Brown has been found out and all he ever wants to do is blame everybody else.

His football has become slow dull and lacks any passion or aggression. We are **** poor and it has to stop.

i don’t blame the manager for Coker’s leg break if that’s what you’re asking. Or Kyprianou getting injured last week. Or for Ferdinand getting suspended. And I find it bizarre that you clearly do.

That's not what he's asking at all. I would have thought that was quite clear.

Back