• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Was a great atmosphere at the hall one of the best games ive been too and we gave fry a good beating.Karen Brady was also given a fair bit of stick i seem too remember!

I was in the North West members section and remember the west stand belting out "There's only 3 greedy *******s!". Memorable!

I remember being it the North Bank an hour before kick-off and it was already packed. Up there in my top 3 games.

I vaguely remember reading in Barrys autobiography that he remembers this as the most frightening game he was ever at from the bricks thrown as Brum got off coach in carpark to the actual atmosphere in the ground itself - was good fun though was'nt it?

The best game ever! I remember singing "Karen Brady is a Whore" and she went on TV and they asked what she thought about it and she said "I thought it was really nice they thought I was 24"

The best game ever! I remember singing "Karen Brady is a Whore" and she went on TV and they asked what she thought about it and she said "I thought it was really nice they thought I was 24"

Yep I remember that, I thought that was really funny.

What a game and what an atmosphere, I have never known the whole crowd to be so bitter and twisted and it lasted the whole 90 mins. Of all the matches I have been to this was the really special one that I will never ever foget. Glad this thread was started as its certainly well worth remembering.

i remember starting a chorus of 'whos up Bradyt skirt, whos up Bradys skirt, Barry Barry Barry Fry'....................... gool ole days, when WE ruled the north bank, no away mugs allowed!!

I remember the game very well as I was living at the time in Accrington and my girlfriend couldn't understand why I would rather spend my New Years Eve on the M62 & M1 than with her....:winking:

I actually saw the new year in on the M25 and was so excited when I eventually woke up on the New Years morning at my parents.....

The feeling of excitement changed to total satisfaction after the game.

This game goes down as one of the top 5 games in my 30 plus years of wacthing the Blues

Awesome game, i was standing in the NW corner as the North Bank was completely full. Either the NOTW or the Sun had a double page report with the title "Bash n' Barry" and a picture of Jason Lee's sweaty head! One of the best games + Atmosphere at the Hall ever.

In them days they have the away fans the Black seats... never seen such a massive punch up at full time in the tunnel we merged.. Southend Fans pilled out of the Green Seats to kick it off with the Brum coming out of the Black seats ... amazing punch up honest ...

Note.. Fighting is not big or hard :-)

Non-stop chorus of 'Karen Brady is a slag' which made the old hag squirm throughout the 90 minutes in the directors' box.

And buying my only Southend United ticket off a tout, outside the now defunct Golden Lion, for £25, which was a lot for Roots Hall back then.

And Jonathan Hunt... say no more!

How about on Tuesday night, if you are in the North Bank, we give a big rendition of "THERES A CIRCUS IN THE TOWN" just for old times sake, and all.

If you were there on the day, but sit else where now, come back into the North Bank, just for one night, and as i say, belt out our dawn chorus for barry fat pie, for old times sake, then we can tell all the youngsters why we sung what we sung, and what they missed, all them years ago, in my mind, one of the best days, that ROOTS HALL has ever seen.

My main memory is that I missed it! I had planned to go away for new year. I was in Wales.

I missed it too. Can't remember why but remember being absolutely gutted. I missed the Man U game too but of the two Fry's return with half our old team that he pinched still stands out as the one game in our history that if I could put the clock back ....I wouldn't miss. Made sure I was there for his return the next season although, but having beaten him once, beating him the second time didn't seem to matter as much.

In those days the club sold videos of most home games. I've still got this one, yet there is no commentary or sound on it, just the whole game. I guess the sound was muted because of the many anti Barry chants?.

Back