• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Just finished Potter on Potter.Excellent.This is the sort of thing they should be reading on Media Studies courses but I doubt if they do.

I also doubt if we'll see series as good as Pennies,The Singing Detective and Lipstsick, on the box again,either.

Read EM a while back.Interesting but I though the interviews could have done with better editing.Ballard made the same points many times over in the course of interviews given over a number of years.

I came to him quite late, so a lot of it's new to me and can be consumed in bite-sized chunks. He seemed to have been preserved in cultural aspic around the time of his wife's death.

Alex Gray -A small weeping - I've moved from Rebus' Edinburgh to Lorimers Glasgow - When Scotland go Indy in a few months the Murder rate for the UK is gonna go through the floor.

Dale Brown- "Plan of Attack" - a bit Clanceyesque - but with some irony deals with a rather unwelcome Russian Invasion of a former USSR territory.

Finished Dostoevsky's Notes from Underground, which was decent but I preferred Crime & Punishment.

Next up, The Walking Dead Compendium One.

For those amongst us who have read Morrisseys' Auto & are fans you might want to consider Mozipedia by Simon Goddard - although it predates the official book by a year it contains an awful lot of the same info but it elaborates a lot more on some of the snippets that Moz himself discloses as well as a much shorter & balanced view of the court case etc. It also lists every Smiths/Mozza track & attempts an explanation for them as well as any lyrical details etc you may need to know. If you had read this before the "official" you probably have been disppointed because most of it is here. It is written alphabetically & is a lot to get through in one go - so far i'm really enjoying it & will return to it in between books - it costs £14.99 but if you are a fan i'd say it's worth it - may be cheaper now.

For those amongst us who have read Morrisseys' Auto & are fans you might want to consider Mozipedia by Simon Goddard - although it predates the official book by a year it contains an awful lot of the same info but it elaborates a lot more on some of the snippets that Moz himself discloses as well as a much shorter & balanced view of the court case etc. It also lists every Smiths/Mozza track & attempts an explanation for them as well as any lyrical details etc you may need to know. If you had read this before the "official" you probably have been disppointed because most of it is here. It is written alphabetically & is a lot to get through in one go - so far i'm really enjoying it & will return to it in between books - it costs £14.99 but if you are a fan i'd say it's worth it - may be cheaper now.

Thanks for that. I'm all but done with Moz's book now (about ten pages to go) and while I have enjoyed it, wouldn't mind seeing the other side to a few things. Morrissey makes the court case out to be the biggest miscarriage of injustice in British legal history and while it does appear Joyce was somewhat on the make, I'm sure it's not quite as bad as Morrissey has made out.

I'd previously read 'The Severed Alliance' by Johnny Rogan, which is of course a great overview of The Smiths but was written before the court case.

Back to Morrissey's book, I was surprised atjust how obsessed he is by chart placings. I too thought The Smiths never got the chart success they deserved, but I'd imagined Morrissey might see himself to be above such petty matters.

Thanks for that. I'm all but done with Moz's book now (about ten pages to go) and while I have enjoyed it, wouldn't mind seeing the other side to a few things. Morrissey makes the court case out to be the biggest miscarriage of injustice in British legal history and while it does appear Joyce was somewhat on the make, I'm sure it's not quite as bad as Morrissey has made out.

I'd previously read 'The Severed Alliance' by Johnny Rogan, which is of course a great overview of The Smiths but was written before the court case.

Back to Morrissey's book, I was surprised atjust how obsessed he is by chart placings. I too thought The Smiths never got the chart success they deserved, but I'd imagined Morrissey might see himself to be above such petty matters.

Yes! Indeed he does - some of the rantings about lack of air play didn't ring true to me - since "You are the Quarry" Moz has become a darling of Radio 2 & almost everything he has released since then has made it on to the playlist (granted not always on the "A" list).Mozipedia also makes quite a thing about Moz being a bit of a tight wad & notoriously hard to get to pay up - apparently he still hasn't paid Mike Joyce despite the ruling & probably never will.
I do believe that some of his gripes have foundation -the problem is that in so many other ways he comes across as selfish & aloof it's difficult to have sympathy.
When I read his book I was suprised at how social he was & how well connected to others he tried to be - nearly always ending abruptly due to some spat or percived sleight of character.
I haven't read "The Severed Alliance" - it is mentioned a lot in Mozipedia & i'm sure i'll get round to it.

An Independent Man - Eddie Jordan.

Have not been a big fan of his TV work for the BBC but its a great book would thoroughly recommend it to F1 Fans.

Back