• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Have we made progress since Sturrock was boss?

• Total voters
Seems to me we gone backwards, scoring less goals no higher in the ladder as we was back then, seems to me when hiring a new manager its in order to progress not stay static ,so in my eyes we gone backwards

Sturrock was the worst manager I've seen at Southend. Disgraceful style of play

Well yesterdays "tactics" we're worse when Sturrock played the long ball game it had a plan it went wide and we built a platform to attack from 20 yards out yesterday was jus launch it and hope we win 2nd ball or even 3rd ball it was just dire to watch

Really?? Can I ask you how many years you have been going to Roots Hall to justify this comment. It might not always of been pretty under Sturrock, but the fact he got us to Wembley for the first time ever means he deserves some respect and I feel we would have made a better fist of the final with him in charge than Brown.

Really?? Can I ask you how many years you have been going to Roots Hall to justify this comment. It might not always of been pretty under Sturrock, but the fact he got us to Wembley for the first time ever means he deserves some respect and I feel we would have made a better fist of the final with him in charge than Brown.

This would be my 26th season I believe. Tilson would've got us to Wembley 3 times if the builders at Wembley were a little quicker, so not sure that counts for much.

Well after the latest debacle (and only 142 votes) I thought I'd kick this thread.

I think the problem at the moment is that we are playing too much like we used to under Sturrock. Can't believe anyone thought we were better under Sturrock. Plus we probably still have Blair in the squad. No thanks

I think the problem at the moment is that we are playing too much like we used to under Sturrock. Can't believe anyone thought we were better under Sturrock. Plus we probably still have Blair in the squad. No thanks

Go away, check the stats for Brown's and Sturrock's tenure then come back with your tail between your legs

As Southend manager? Both took us to play offs. PS built a side from scratch, PB sorted out a heavily unbalanced squad. Pretty similar IMO.
IMO squad is still heavily unbalanced (too many midfielders, no cover at left back, only two strikers)

Squad harmony was better under Sturrock and the players wanted to play for him. That counts for a lot and I can see that more now in hindsight what with him being followed by a vain, shallow, arrogant, clueless, up his own arse, media whore manager who thinks he's above his players and the club's fans.

Sturrock's football wasn't pretty but we always looked dangerous in the final third and the 2011/12 season up until January/February was awesome

IMO squad is still heavily unbalanced (too many midfielders, no cover at left back, only two strikers)

I meant at the start of his reign when the squad was all over the place. He put together a much more balanced squad over that summer after Luggy left it in a mess. I was just pointing out the similarities in Brown & Sturrock at the beginning of their respective reigns at the club. I agree that we're lacking in areas as it stands now.

Sturrock was quite a dour man who never played the media well like Brown does but unlike the latter he was not all spin and lack of substance. One season of keeping Hull up in the Premier League does not make Brown a good manager and without a doubt, he's failed wherever else he has been.

I'll say this too, sacking Sturrock and having Brown in charge at Wembley, with his disasterous team selection and tactics ****ed any chance we had of winning that day (still cannot believe he played Mohsni in midfield) and alhough Sturrock's time was probably up towards the end of that season, Brown has taken us backwards from there and (on the field at least) history will certainly not judge his time here kindly I feel.

Back