• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I've been one of Khan biggest detracters, but I've always maintained his resume is great, and credit where credit is due. Khan has pulled out a blinder here, killed the scared to fight story re: Brook, Canelo is far more dangerous, b) got a massive pay day, the Mexican pay per view audience on Cinco de Mayo is going to be phenomenal, and then the first firght at Vegas' new stadium. Well played Amir.

Whilst I thinkg GBJ's fight plan would work for Khan (great MP/ODH comparison), I just think he'll struggle with the discipline, at some point, he'll try and fight, and that'll be that his downfall. Still, a good fight to look forward to at last.

That's always been Khan's downfall, (well apart from his glass beard). Countless times he's got himself into trouble, simply because he wants to trade. As Floyd's career progressed, he adopted the mentality of hit & not get hit back. He didn't want to trade. If Khan could/had been the same, he'd have achieved much more in his career. I certainly don't think he'd have been stopped by Garica all those years ago. I'm not saying Khan is in Floyd's league, but I'm using him as a comparison, because both their best attributes are the same.

That being said, Canelo's not the most fearsome banger. I won't say he can't end it with one punch, because Afterall, it's Amir Khan we're talking about. But Canelo's style is to walk opponents down & gradually batters them into submission, after their heart is broken. Khan took Maidana's best, and managed, somehow, to get through it. This could be similar. I think Khan will have to be as fit as he's ever been for this one. He's gunna have to work every second, of every round. Constantly moving, constantly thinking. He can't afford a moments lapse. If he does all that, and doesn't trade too much, I think he wins.

And TBH, I'm edging towards the idea that the weight won't necessarily make too much difference either. As I said, Canelo occasionally looks very heavy on his feet. Khan will undoubtedly come in lighter after they rehydrate, which in theory might give him that little bit extra speed, he would need to beat Canelo. Floyd laid the blueprint for how to beat him. Constantly move, lead with the jab, land 1's & 2's, then move on. And repeat. Khan has that ability in his locker. He fought the exact same gameplan against Collazo & Algeri.

And let's be fair, only a few months a ago, we all thought Tyson was on a one-way-ticket to a hiding, by Wlad. And look how that turned out. You just never know. And I'm the same as you mate, I've never been a fan of Khan, but **** me, I genuinely want him to win this & I will certainly be cheering him on. Which is odd, because I'm actually a big fan of Canelo.

Fury talking about maybe retiring and not having the rematch with Klitschko.

He wants to be able to spend the rest of his life claiming he's the best ever. If he carries on fighting, he'll get beat more than once. This way he can falsely claim he's the greatest, won the title and retired unbeaten. I can even hear him saying it now.

It's simple. He's said previously he's got (at least a form of) bi-polar IIRC? This latest statement isn't to be taken seriously. Not much of anything he says, should be actually. Because tomorrow he'll be uttering a different tune altogether. But next week that'll be different again. And so on.

I remember just after Haye pulled out of their first scheduled fight, he "retired", and then went on to say he's only in it for the money etc etc. He's always said he doesn't want to fight forever, just enough that his family can live without any worries. But the latest statement negates that completely. So, in summary, don't take anything he says quite so literally, and just enjoy it whilst he's here. Because when he does disappear off the scene, it'll be back to pre-prepared, lawyer-friendly press statements, with absolutely no spark at all.

Also, Jazza Dickens Vs Rigo in March?? WTF?? Fair play to Warren for getting Rigo over here & fair play to Dickens for accepting it, whilst both Quigg & Frampton have seemingly ducked him so far. Good news though, supposedly, the WBA have ordered the winner of Frampton-Quigg must face the winner of Dickens & Rigo. Now that's what the (hardcore) fans want. Those 2, like everyone else, have avoided Rigo for the past 2 years. Finally one of them will be forced to face him & oh what a spectacle that will be.

Good on Jazza Dickens, wanting the toughest fights, but **** me son, Rigo is a step too far.

Also see that Ward is considering jumping up to light heavyweight to fight Kovalev. Doesn't fancy anyone in the super middleweight division. Says since Froch retired he hasn't really got anyone to challenge him, DeGale is a possibility but don't think he wants that fight. I reckon it could be an interesting match up. Although what I would really like is Froch to come back and fight him and beat him!

Conor Benn son of the great Nigel Benn is going to go professional this year.

Joshua Vs Charles Martin for the IBF HW strap in April? Rumours going strong atm

Joshua Vs Charles Martin for the IBF HW strap in April? Rumours going strong atm

I've seen that, would be a good fight and would be sensational if he were to beat Martin.

Are you going to try and get tickets for this one?

I've seen that, would be a good fight and would be sensational if he were to beat Martin.

Are you going to try and get tickets for this one?

It would be a very interesting career choice. I think he'd beat Martin, who is essentially a poor champion. However, it's at that point, he's forced to defend his belt & start mixing it with the elite fighters in the division. Glancing at the IBF's rankings, they're not overwhelmed by exceptional fighters, but the likes of Takam & Parker will be incredibly tough fights. Depending on how Teper is when he returns from his ban, he could also be dangerous.

Personally I'd say it's an excellent chance for Joshua to win the belt, very do-able. But he's not ready to mix it with elite level yet. He's said so himself. So it's a double edged sword really.

Yeah i'll be there. First live event since Fury-Chisora II. Part-timer/arm chair fan, me :)

It would be a very interesting career choice. I think he'd beat Martin, who is essentially a poor champion. However, it's at that point, he's forced to defend his belt & start mixing it with the elite fighters in the division. Glancing at the IBF's rankings, they're not overwhelmed by exceptional fighters, but the likes of Takam & Parker will be incredibly tough fights. Depending on how Teper is when he returns from his ban, he could also be dangerous.

Personally I'd say it's an excellent chance for Joshua to win the belt, very do-able. But he's not ready to mix it with elite level yet. He's said so himself. So it's a double edged sword really.

Yeah i'll be there. First live event since Fury-Chisora II. Part-timer/arm chair fan, me :)

I've never been to a professional boxing match so I'm a proper arm chair fan. But I intend on going to this to break my love boxing virginity.

Charles Martin hasn't really got the stock that Joshua has which is why he will come over here. He knows Joshua is big and will bring a big crowd a following. If he beats Joshua it will boost his stock massively but if Joshua wins it will set him up nicely for some decent fights. No doubt Wilder will be after him.

I've never been to a professional boxing match so I'm a proper arm chair fan. But I intend on going to this to break my love boxing virginity.

Charles Martin hasn't really got the stock that Joshua has which is why he will come over here. He knows Joshua is big and will bring a big crowd a following. If he beats Joshua it will boost his stock massively but if Joshua wins it will set him up nicely for some decent fights. No doubt Wilder will be after him.

As I've said before, live events are brilliant. The atmosphere is electric, the fans are good & you generally have a really good laugh.

I've just heard AJ Vs Martin is a done deal

I hope that's true. Finally a decent fight, fair play to Eddie Hearn if he has managed to pull this one off.

I hope that's true. Finally a decent fight, fair play to Eddie Hearn if he has managed to pull this one off.

From what's been reported, it was Martin's team who wanted the fight. Eddie wasn't looking at it, at all. I'm assuming Martin's team will be copping a massive payout for travelling over here, which financially, was probably their best option to date. As I said previously, Eddie wanted Chisora, but would only offer him £750k. Which understandably, Chizzy wasn't happy with, hence why he turned it down.

As I said yesterday, this fight is a real double-edged sword. AJ should win, and win comfortably. Martin really isn't that good, he's certainly not elite level. But the downside is, when AJ wins, he'll have to defend & mix it with against genuine elite level fighters. Which he simply isn't ready for, ATM.

Joshua's next opponent to be announced @ 6PM.

Confirmed he is fighting Charles Martin for the IBF belt.

Here we go then. Time to put up or shut up

Totally, this is massive for him! Time to prove that hype train is warranted or it gets massively derailed!

Here we go then. Time to put up or shut up

Is it too early for the Martin fight, I don't think so, reckon he should overcome him. Is it too earlier, for the trickier and tougher defences he's going to face if he wins, possibly, and this is down to what you've been bemoaning the last few months, not stepping up the level of opponents. Should be a good night though.

From what's been reported, it was Martin's team who wanted the fight. Eddie wasn't looking at it, at all. I'm assuming Martin's team will be copping a massive payout for travelling over here, which financially, was probably their best option to date. As I said previously, Eddie wanted Chisora, but would only offer him £750k. Which understandably, Chizzy wasn't happy with, hence why he turned it down.

As I said yesterday, this fight is a real double-edged sword. AJ should win, and win comfortably. Martin really isn't that good, he's certainly not elite level. But the downside is, when AJ wins, he'll have to defend & mix it with against genuine elite level fighters. Which he simply isn't ready for, ATM.

Just seen this - ha, should have read further back. But yeah, so I agree 100%.

As I've said before, live events are brilliant. The atmosphere is electric, the fans are good & you generally have a really good laugh.

I'll be there as well, we'll have to try and meet up for SZ Boxing beer.

I've been quite fortunate with live events recently, and I know he got ridiculed because of the card and the fact it was on Dave, but I had a great time at Haye's last fight, and as such have tickets to his next bout too.

Back