• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

you idots saying get rid of barnard his got experience at league one level and apart from 3 players in southends current squad that's not enough

This is priceless ,Lee rarely plays and his goals are even rarer,yet you want to use some of the budget on Barney:dim:

A lot depends on who is out of contract. Some players will have options.

For me -

Bentley and the 2 Smiths - keep with Paul being mainly the coach.

Defenders -

Ibenfeldt and Prosser - no thanks. Luke is a decent L2 player when he is at his best but he isn't always at that level.
I'd offer Barrett a year but would expect him to be a squad player.
That leaves Bolger, White, Coker and Thompson who should all be retained.

We need left back cover and a stronger centre back, ideally a marquee signing or as much as we can get to one. Incidentally, Dembele has been released by Stevenage. He's a great player.

Midfield -

I wondered why Bradford released Atkinson after he played almost every game for them in their promotion year but now I can totally see why. He is like Carl Pettefer for us (not in style) and I really do think L2 is his level, so would say bye. I also think Deegan may struggle one level up. Worrall, Timlin, Leonard, Weston and Payne will be a good start. Hurst I think has played his last game for us. 2 more midfielders needed minimum, possibly Mclaughlin if he is available could be one and a strong central midfielder with a bit more creativity than we have would be nice

Strikers -

Barnard is history I'm sure. Corr should be rewarded with a contract but I can't see him being first choice. I don't think Charlton will let Pigott go but it would be nice to have him for the season and let him get a full pre-season under his belt as I think fitness has been his biggest issue. Cassidy? No thanks - I think we can do better. In my opinion, 2 strikers are needed and these should be first choice strikers rather than squad players. Pigott could be one of them if Charlton allow.

That's my take anyhow.

Agree about Atkinson. Not sure what the value is in keeping P Smith. We already have a goalkeeping coach and Ted is backup for Bentley. If Bentley got a serious injury we'd be better off loaning someone in, than spending wages on P. Smith for that unlikely situation.

Players with League One experience:
Ben Coker
John White
Adam Thompson
Cian Bolger
Luke Prosser
Adam Barrett
David Worrall
Michael Timlin
Myles Weston
Will Atkinson
Kevan Hurst
Barry Corr

Yes, we clearly need a player who has done nothing for us in a season and a half with the club because he adds experience we clearly don't have.

Lee Barnard had league one experience with southampton

unless brown has an extremely large budget for next season in league 1 eight players in aint realistic
If nobody was going out, yes. If 5/6 first team players go and add another 2/3 on top of that it's not unrealistic. Some will likely be youngsters who won't demand large wages, and we're likely to let go some big wages in Barnard, possibly Prosser, Atkinson, etc

Release:
P Smith
Banton
Ibenfeldt
Farrell
Clifford
Brown
Atkinson
Barnard

Take Option up on:
Prosser
Bridge

Offer New Deals to:
White
Thompson
Barrett
Deegan
Corr

Transfer List:
Weston
Hurst

We won't score goals in League One unless we improve our creative side dramatically.

Look how many clean sheets Walsall kept and they didn't even finish halfway up.

As for keeping/saying goodbye to...

KEEPERS
Bentley - keep... if we can
Smith -keep. Probable No.1 when we almost certainly lose Bentley in a year, but decent back-up in meantime.
Smith - goodbye. Served his purpose, but we have better, younger options.
To sign: No-one. Got this covered unless we lose Bentley.

DEFENDERS
White - keep. Solid, if unspectacular. Not outwardly inspirational, but a calm head that's needed as skipper.
Coker - keep. Will show Col U what a huge mistake they made not keeping him in L1.
Ibenfeldt - goodbye. Hasn't worked out for him, sadly. Cut losses.
Thompson - keep. Seen enough to keep him and at 22 has plenty of years in which to improve.
Prosser -goodbye. Sorry, never been a fan. Not sure he's a good L2 centre-half, never mind L1.
Bolger - keep. Really finding his feet finally. Needs a talker alongside him though it seems.
Barrett - keep. He may not be captain, but this man has not just added in terms of ability, he has become this side's leader.
Binnom-Williams - re-sign on loan. Not played, but if his wages are cheap for us then good back-up at left-back/centre-back. Palace won't send him somewhere to be back-up though you'd expect.
To sign: A leader/talker at the back who can replace Barrett, plus left-back cover for Coker (possibly Binnom-Williams)

MIDFIELDERS
Ryan Leonard - keep. Needs to kick on again after not quite matching heights of 13/14.
David Worrall - keep. Our creative talisman. Worrall's fitness will be key to us next season.
Michael Timlin - keep. Never mind him being a warrior, his passing makes him the closest thing we've had to Kevin Maher since Kev left.
Myles Weston - keep. But only if he accepts being an impact sub - not good enough for anything more.
Will Atkinson - goodbye. Works hard, but I wonder what else he brings sometimes.
Kevan Hurst - goodbye. It's a shame he's not kept up his stunning form from the early part of his career.
Jack Payne - keep. Looking forward to seeing how the Essex Messi develops - if we're going to play 4-4-1-1 then I see him or Worrall as the ideal man behind the ST.
Gary Deegan - keep. One dimensional, but every good team needs someone who does the dirty work.
Conor Clifford - goodbye. Expect him to join Barnet in L2.
Stephen McLaughlin - re-sign. Huge fan. Disappointed to see him go off in the final as thought he always offers the potential to create something from nothing.
To sign: Some creativity - the sort of player who can pick the tight locks in L1.

STRIKERS
Lee Barnard - goodbye. Hasn't worked out second time around.
Barry Corr - keep. If we had more options in the squad already, I'd be tempted to say goodbye. May well make the decision for us though if Sturrock and Yeovil come calling.
Jake Cassidy - goodbye. On a free after release from Wolves, but no goals tells us everything we need to know.
Joe Pigott - goodbye. Will forever remember THAT goal, but not good enough IMO.
To sign: Pacy 20-goal-a-season man. Targetman. Loan market may be where we head to here.

Che Wilson was a good guy and Alex Revell wrote a good blog. Both good team player but neither were good enough for us at the time.Same as Prosser.

that's The Championship's Alex Revell now.
if i remember right it was maybe more financial than football, King Useless had his say and a lot of people disagreed with him

this season we had a squad that worked and a defence that worked as a unit.
i'd be alright if we kept pretty much everything but the striker force and built a new forward line around Corr. I think Corr will get us 10-15 next season but will put a proper shift in and help the team a lot.
keep things mostly as they are but add all the quality up front

As long as we keep Corr because he's just soooooo brilliant and Deegan because he has such a lush beard I'll be happy.

Even if we're getting tonked 23-0 every week.

We won't score goals in League One unless we improve our creative side dramatically.

Look how many clean sheets Walsall kept and they didn't even finish halfway up.

As for keeping/saying goodbye to...

KEEPERS
Bentley - keep... if we can
Smith -keep. Probable No.1 when we almost certainly lose Bentley in a year, but decent back-up in meantime.
Smith - goodbye. Served his purpose, but we have better, younger options.
To sign: No-one. Got this covered unless we lose Bentley.

DEFENDERS
White - keep. Solid, if unspectacular. Not outwardly inspirational, but a calm head that's needed as skipper.
Coker - keep. Will show Col U what a huge mistake they made not keeping him in L1.
Ibenfeldt - goodbye. Hasn't worked out for him, sadly. Cut losses.
Thompson - keep. Seen enough to keep him and at 22 has plenty of years in which to improve.
Prosser -goodbye. Sorry, never been a fan. Not sure he's a good L2 centre-half, never mind L1.
Bolger - keep. Really finding his feet finally. Needs a talker alongside him though it seems.
Barrett - keep. He may not be captain, but this man has not just added in terms of ability, he has become this side's leader.
Binnom-Williams - re-sign on loan. Not played, but if his wages are cheap for us then good back-up at left-back/centre-back. Palace won't send him somewhere to be back-up though you'd expect.
To sign: A leader/talker at the back who can replace Barrett, plus left-back cover for Coker (possibly Binnom-Williams)

MIDFIELDERS
Ryan Leonard - keep. Needs to kick on again after not quite matching heights of 13/14.
David Worrall - keep. Our creative talisman. Worrall's fitness will be key to us next season.
Michael Timlin - keep. Never mind him being a warrior, his passing makes him the closest thing we've had to Kevin Maher since Kev left.
Myles Weston - keep. But only if he accepts being an impact sub - not good enough for anything more.
Will Atkinson - goodbye. Works hard, but I wonder what else he brings sometimes.
Kevan Hurst - goodbye. It's a shame he's not kept up his stunning form from the early part of his career.
Jack Payne - keep. Looking forward to seeing how the Essex Messi develops - if we're going to play 4-4-1-1 then I see him or Worrall as the ideal man behind the ST.
Gary Deegan - keep. One dimensional, but every good team needs someone who does the dirty work.
Conor Clifford - goodbye. Expect him to join Barnet in L2.
Stephen McLaughlin - re-sign. Huge fan. Disappointed to see him go off in the final as thought he always offers the potential to create something from nothing.
To sign: Some creativity - the sort of player who can pick the tight locks in L1.

STRIKERS
Lee Barnard - goodbye. Hasn't worked out second time around.
Barry Corr - keep. If we had more options in the squad already, I'd be tempted to say goodbye. May well make the decision for us though if Sturrock and Yeovil come calling.
Jake Cassidy - goodbye. On a free after release from Wolves, but no goals tells us everything we need to know.
Joe Pigott - goodbye. Will forever remember THAT goal, but not good enough IMO.
To sign: Pacy 20-goal-a-season man. Targetman. Loan market may be where we head to here.

I'll put that one down to either alcohol or hard drugs. Really? He has so much potential and can offer the team so much I want him signed now or locked in a steel box to stop anyone else signing him.

I'll come out with a alcohol induced one though. I can see Corr struggling in L1. Love him to bits and he has saved our bacon more times than I care to mention, but he is looking tired. Hope it's just down to long season, but I'm not so sure. Think L1 might be a bridge to far for him, sadly.

this season we had a squad that worked and a defence that worked as a unit.
i'd be alright if we kept pretty much everything but the striker force and built a new forward line around Corr. I think Corr will get us 10-15 next season but will put a proper shift in and help the team a lot.
keep things mostly as they are but add all the quality up front

I agree the defence looks good as a unit and doesn't need much change. It's the attack that needs improvement. Corr has done well in a low scoring forward line, which surprised me. I still have concerns about his fitness over a full season with his injury problems. No-one can doubt his effort and commitment but with fitness issues and moving up a league I'm not convinced he will be the main man for goals next season. I think Brown will be signing at least two new 'strikers' before the season starts.

I disagree - the defence does need improving and/or better cover.

Whilst we had a stable back 4 for the last part of the season, we also had White and Coker out injured and more permutations of central defence pairings than I care to remember. Add to that injuries to Ibenthingy, Thompson and Prosser plus loanees and it seems even more of a miracle that we let in so few goals. :stunned:

I disagree - the defence does need improving and/or better cover.

Whilst we had a stable back 4 for the last part of the season, we also had White and Coker out injured and more permutations of central defence pairings than I care to remember. Add to that injuries to Ibenthingy, Thompson and Prosser plus loanees and it shows what a quality goalkeeper we have in Bentley.

Edited. :thumbsup:

Back