• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Women's World Cup 2015

Goalkeepers always seem to be the last position to get up to scratch. Wasnt that long ago in the mens game that anything other than an English keeper was a joke.

As for Womens football in general when you get the likes of Gary Lineker congratulating the team, when he heard about the score AFTER the event it makes you wonder what they can do to raise its profile. When someone in the game who still has a career in football on TV doesnt even watch the national games its still struggling to get attention.

Goalkeepers always seem to be the last position to get up to scratch. Wasnt that long ago in the mens game that anything other than an English keeper was a joke.

As for Womens football in general when you get the likes of Gary Lineker congratulating the team, when he heard about the score AFTER the event it makes you wonder what they can do to raise its profile. When someone in the game who still has a career in football on TV doesnt even watch the national games its still struggling to get attention.

He can hardly congratulate them before it :winking:

On a side note, I've watched quite a few games and two thing I have noticed. One, the refereeing is consistently good and two, hardly any offsides in the games I have watched

Is that because women don't understand the offside rule? (sexist, I know, but it had to be said).

The whole post is positive bar the bit about women running into each other and that point is true. Men and women run into each other differently

Aside from that being total and utter bollocks, you also likened them to running about like fairies which is exactly the type of stereotype the women's game is working hard to eradicate.

But, just so we're clear, what you're saying is it's absolutely fine to tar a collective with the same brush, just as long as it's not your son at school.

It's a very different game to watch, sometimes really skillful and sometimes running about like fairies. They bump into each other the way only women can.

That said, the game is played in a fair manner, no diving in the penalty area etc, good honest football. The Japanese seem the most talented from what I've seen but the game last night between them and Australia was a tad boring

On a side note, I've watched quite a few games and two thing I have noticed. One, the refereeing is consistently good and two, hardly any offsides in the games I have watched

Aside from that being total and utter bollocks, you also likened them to running about like fairies which is exactly the type of stereotype the women's game is working hard to eradicate.

But, just so we're clear, what you're saying is it's absolutely fine to tar a collective with the same brush, just as long as it's not your son at school.

Firstly, getting personal about something that is causing my family a lot of problems currently is poor form and one I have just lost all respect for you for.

Secondly, look at all I have highlighted in bold. You will see nothing but admiration for women's football. I have enjoyed watching the women's world cup and seeing England do so well has been brilliant. The bit I typed about the way sometimes the way women run, collide etc is maybe more to do with the way women are built, how they are formed etc. I meant no harm and for you to point that out over the good that I typed says more about you than me I am afraid.

How about you put me on ignore now, I will be putting you on ignore as I am really not interested in reading or conversing with someone that uses my personal problems/battles to make a point

Firstly, getting personal about something that is causing my family a lot of problems currently is poor form and one I have just lost all respect for you for.

Secondly, look at all I have highlighted in bold. You will see nothing but admiration for women's football. I have enjoyed watching the women's world cup and seeing England do so well has been brilliant. The bit I typed about the way sometimes the way women run, collide etc is maybe more to do with the way women are built, how they are formed etc. I meant no harm and for you to point that out over the good that I typed says more about you than me I am afraid.

How about you put me on ignore now, I will be putting you on ignore as I am really not interested in reading or conversing with someone that uses my personal problems/battles to make a point

You're damning them with faint praise, and as much as you may not realise it, is thoroughly patronising. You might have watched the tournament, but you sure as **** haven't gotten the message it's trying to send and I know the women players I work with wouldn't give your "admiration" the time of day as long as you liken them to fairies on the pitch.

Not saying you're entirely wrong here but he's a busy bloke, just sorted a new deal with the beeb and bt, it's not entirely beyond reason he simply missed watching it or being able to keep track of it because he was busy sorting out something in his own life that took presidence over a game in a tournament he's not covering and has little to no knowledge of?

If it were the men's team he wouldn't have been so busy. Just think the game is up against it if our own establishment isn't really interested.

If it were the men's team he wouldn't have been so busy. Just think the game is up against it if our own establishment isn't really interested.

Why does everyone have to be interested in it?

As a big football fan I am struggling to get into watching the womens game purely because it's a completely different style of game to the mens, although the main positive being the refreshingly genuine approach to playing the game and respect for opponents/officials instead of the diving/cheating/swearing you get from the men.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who love the womens game who can't stand watching mens football as well

Why does everyone have to be interested in it?

As a big football fan I am struggling to get into watching the womens game purely because it's a completely different style of game to the mens, although the main positive being the refreshingly genuine approach to playing the game and respect for opponents/officials instead of the diving/cheating/swearing you get from the men.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who love the womens game who can't stand watching mens football as well

They don't. But you probably because stand more chance of seeing England win a trophy.

Is it me, or do the goal keepers in this women's world cup lack a bit of consistency? I would have been seriously brassed off with Bentley had he conceded England's second goal, and Canada's chance on goal left a lot to be desired from the England keeper. Get a grip ladies, literally.

Yeah, I'd noticed the same, not just in this tournament, but previous too, also until recently (last 5ish years), it seemed to be the same with a few of the African Nation's (noticed it a lot in the last couple of ACON tournaments). I think JM is right about it being the last position to be addressed, especially in sports which are in their infancy (I know both African and woman's football have been around a while - but it's only in recent years been receiving strong and supportive development to their respective infrastructure's) - the emphasis is on the exciting attacking elements, and I think that's perhaps why GK is often left behind a little.

The biggest match for an England team in ages coming up at midnight. Come on you Lionesses do yourselves proud whatever the outcome. I'm going for 1-0 England and it will be a seriously ugly win.

Not going to get much sleep tonight as need to be up at 5-30 but will stop up for this one but really do not want extra time. Going for another 2-1 win.

Japan to show why they are world champions and technically superior with a 2-0 win. And wasnt the USA team brilliant against the Germans,think its going to be a repeat of the last World Cup ( womens ) final.Japan v USA.

Gutted England lose 2-1 to an own goal deep into stoppage time. Probably the best player on the pitch to scored the unfourtunate own goal. :'(

Wow, totally undeserved to go out like that. For all of Japan's passing they barely threatened and we had a few good chances near the end.

Still a big achievement to reach the semi-finals and they've raised the profile of the women's game as well as doing themselves proud. Now to end with a flourish by smashing the Germans in the 3rd place playoff!

And no doubt, true to form, the press will vilify the player who scored it (no idea eho myself, telly on mute and I have enouh trouble reading the scorecard as is).

I feel for Bassett, England played well ,didnt give Japan time on the ball , now i suppose all England will hang Bassett on a cross,shame because she played so well.Wasnt happy with the dive though to earn the penalty , sorry i have a thing against diving in football ,think it should be kept to the swimming pool.Hopefully you can play just as well against the Germans ,would be nice to put one over them in a world cup game been a long time lol aka 1966 i think.

Back