• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Phil Brown: I'm still looking for someone who can score goals

Some people are amusing. Just because the goals issue is raised, accusations of panicking are thrown about. No one is panicking merely observing with the correct amount of concern applied. Then others are citing 'we are only four games in.' Yes this season but we are referring to an issue that is 29 months old. Anyone who wants to continue to have faith in PB's striking solutions are the ones that need to have a reality check.
We have Corr , Barnard and Pigott, all of whom have expressed dissatisfaction with the way they were/are asked to play. Mooney gets played deep when his career has been built on arriving in the box at the optimum moment and Hunt, a very good player but not a scorer, is played as the lone striker to do what? Score goals his career has proven are not in him or to feed mids that have no great track record at scoring? Then you wonder why we have only one goal so far.
I even wonder if some prospective striking targets are disinterested in joining us because they know what to expect.
Why do some seem to think Brown will all of a sudden change? He has set out his stall and despite bringing three capable strikers to the club (when played in tandem) he disses them and asserts a new face coming in that knows how to score is the answer. Not with your set up Brown!
if these points are seen as panicking :Scared2:I must be trousering it! But no. The rest of he team work incredibly hard and salvage the best from a bad cause and PB owes them a great deal of gratitude.

Well said,

Saturday was the 81st game under Phil where the team have scored one or less!

Ron even gave Phil transfer fee money coupled with a decentish budget,We crawled over the line thanks to Pig and Bents saves.

We all go to the games firstly to support the team but we all want to see great play,goal line clearances,great keeping,shots going very close or better still going in,we have been starved of all of that apart from fleeting moments here and there.

It is what it is under Phil.

Think we've seen all of those this season in both home game ............................ admittedly not always in our favour

There was a close range reflex save from Weston, they cleared off line from Barrett. Payne and Hunt went close, Pigott pulled out a good save.

Sounds like we are getting what we want after all.

And just the 4th League game since he got Southend United promoted to League 1. What's your point?

Amusing how the people who spent all last season slating Brown are now using the last 4 games to justify their opinions and forgetting that little fact eh...

Phil stated before the Swindon game that fans will have to be patient. Seems a very negative attitude in my opinion. Almost seems resigned to the fact we wont be scoring many goals.

I've already posted on another thread what I thought of Brown's comment, it's hardly going to do Mooney or Pigott's confidence any good. Having said that I do think we need another striker, I can see a Hunt/Mooney or Hunt/Pigott partnership working, as someone else has already mentioned Hunt/Pigott showed promise v Brighton. The main problem has been Hunt's fitness, or lack of. If he is out 1 up front looks the only viable option (the Walsall game highlighted that for me) an alternative to Hunt would certainly give us more options.

Some people are amusing. Just because the goals issue is raised, accusations of panicking are thrown about. No one is panicking merely observing with the correct amount of concern applied. Then others are citing 'we are only four games in.' Yes this season but we are referring to an issue that is 29 months old. Anyone who wants to continue to have faith in PB's striking solutions are the ones that need to have a reality check.
We have Corr , Barnard and Pigott, all of whom have expressed dissatisfaction with the way they were/are asked to play. Mooney gets played deep when his career has been built on arriving in the box at the optimum moment and Hunt, a very good player but not a scorer, is played as the lone striker to do what? Score goals his career has proven are not in him or to feed mids that have no great track record at scoring? Then you wonder why we have only one goal so far.
I even wonder if some prospective striking targets are disinterested in joining us because they know what to expect.
Why do some seem to think Brown will all of a sudden change? He has set out his stall and despite bringing three capable strikers to the club (when played in tandem) he disses them and asserts a new face coming in that knows how to score is the answer. Not with your set up Brown!
if these points are seen as panicking :Scared2:I must be trousering it! But no. The rest of he team work incredibly hard and salvage the best from a bad cause and PB owes them a great deal of gratitude.

Yes I agree. I remember last season their was one poster on the zone who said we had no chance of even making the play-offs under PB. When we did he then said we could never win a semi over two legs because you have to score. Then he said we could never win at Wembley because PB would never have the tactical nous to win a play-final.

Just because PB made him and some others look like complete fools they won't forgive. They hi-jack every thread with the same boring agenda. The really amusing thing is every time they post it shows how little they understand about football both the playing side and the business side

I think Brown is only the fifth Southend United manager to win promotion in our league history.

He deserves a bit of credit.

I really can't understand what the brown haters really want for sufc... We're talking about a manager who took a nothing team really in hull, a team who had no right to the premiership, a small club and he kept them there against all the odds. He may be a media whore and love the spotlight but he is a successful manager who has also got is promotion incase they hadn't notoced. We have no Devine right to be in league one. We worked hard and got here from being difficult to beat, much the way hull for to the top tier, and they stayed there being the same hard to beat team. Like I think we will do....

We could have some average lower league manager just going through the motions and getting top ten in league two
year after year.... Or we can back brown and his ambition to get back to the top... Like him or not, one day his gonna get back up there, his just that sort of manager... If we go with him or not is another question.

For want of a better term, I'm far from a brown noser and will always say when I think his done wrong as I did after Walsall. But I just think some perspective and reality is needed right now. It's early days and the brown bashing is pathetic.

And just the 4th League game since he got Southend United promoted to League 1. What's your point?

My point,

Phil had the entire summer to sign players required for this division,I'm talking in terms of survival only.

Phil signed
Mooney who even your mate told you was rubbish.
Piggy yeah Wembley great brill but is he the one,I doubt it.
Hunt an ageing injury plagued guy whose scoring record was never great,already missed games through injury and missed a sitter on Sarurday.

Will the above three get the goals?,Maybe Hunt and Piggy as a pair or Hunt and Mooney as a pair,but these three as the lone ranger will find it hard to score .

My point,

Phil had the entire summer to sign players required for this division,I'm talking in terms of survival only.

Phil signed
Hunt an ageing injury plagued guy whose scoring record was never great,already missed games through injury and missed a sitter on Sarurday.

Will the above three get the goals?,Maybe Hunt and Piggy as a pair or Hunt and Mooney as a pair,but these three as the lone ranger will find it hard to score .

Hunt is quality- showed that Sat w/o being match fit. Great signing.
Pigott and Mooney are good signings- decent players who can do a job in L1.
We need 4 from line strikers- if we can find another somewhere near Hunt's quality then as a 4 the goals will come. Actually I think they will come with Hunt alongside either Mooney or Pigott or even Payne once he is fully match fit.
My concern is more that we come over reliant on Hunt (so a second quality striker shares the load plus potentially alongside Hunt doubles the threat).

My point,

Phil signed

Please enlighten us to name who Phil should have signed then.

You're great at coming up with rubbish like this, but you never provide any solutions!!

My point,

Phil signed

Yep, thought so. You said the same all through last season. We got promoted.

My point,

Phil signed

Hunt was quality on Saturday, he got his once chance on target at least, unlike Payne who you said we should build the team around who couldnt even hit the target from a bigger sitter ( from a quality lay off from Hunt).

My point,

Phil signed

Again your last comment is spot on, we're not going to score goals with one up top. However Brown has already intimated he would prefer to play Hunt and one other up there, personally I'd go for Mooney (a proven goalscorer at this level in a pairing) but that's not my decision. For you to be questioning Hunt after his performances so far leads me to question whether you've been to either of our 3 home games this season. He and Worrall are IMHO our best players. Yes he missed two league games but only because he got a kick on his ankle vs Brighton that left him unable to get his boot on. It was an impact injury and that's a bit different to some players who constantly pick up muscle injuries, knee injuries etc. Give the guy a chance, he looks a very good signing - we just need to play him in a pair and mould our game to his strengths.

My point,

Phil signed

Do you really think PB and RM are sitting on a suit case full of cash and refusing to sign these top forwards. Some names mentioned on the zone would cost more in wages than we will ever make from promotion to L1. Its pretty obvious there are financial reasons why all the summer dealings have been so drawn out. Including the Bentley saga which has made it difficult to know what budget we would actually have. Frustrating for fans but even more so for management

Piggy didn't do for me last season and the fact that he was on the bench for the big games at the end of the season it would appear not for PB either. He is of course the cheapest and perhaps the only option and I'm sure we will see another forward on loan soon.

Hunt was injured when he was failed turning his man v Brighton (ref gave it the other way) but until then he and Piggy showed some promise. So now that Hunt has had his first 90mins we first need to see what our first choice strike force can do. The medals are given out in May not August, Just ask any Wycombe fan:winking:

Do you really think PB and RM are sitting on a suit case full of cash and refusing to sign these top forwards. Some names mentioned on the zone would cost more in wages than we will ever make from promotion to L1. Its pretty obvious there are financial reasons why all the summer dealings have been so drawn out. Including the Bentley saga which has made it difficult to know what budget we would actually have. Frustrating for fans but even more so for management

Piggy didn't do for me last season and the fact that he was on the bench for the big games at the end of the season it would appear not for PB either. He is of course the cheapest and perhaps the only option and I'm sure we will see another forward on loan soon.

Hunt was injured when he was failed turning his man v Brighton (ref gave it the other way) but until then he and Piggy showed some promise. So now that Hunt has had his first 90mins we first need to see what our first choice strike force can do. The medals are given out in May not August, Just ask any Wycombe fan:winking:

Agreed providing the manager gives this strike force a regular run out for a few games and not keep changing it around unless players are injured or suspended.......

Again your last comment is spot on, we're not going to score goals with one up top. However Brown has already intimated he would prefer to play Hunt and one other up there, personally I'd go for Mooney (a proven goalscorer at this level in a pairing) but that's not my decision. For you to be questioning Hunt after his performances so far leads me to question whether you've been to either of our 3 home games this season. He and Worrall are IMHO our best players. Yes he missed two league games but only because he got a kick on his ankle vs Brighton that left him unable to get his boot on. It was an impact injury and that's a bit different to some players who constantly pick up muscle injuries, knee injuries etc. Give the guy a chance, he looks a very good signing - we just need to play him in a pair and mould our game to his strengths.

I like Hunt as a player and with the right partner will score 10/15 this season assuming he remains fit.

My gripe is signing a guy of his calibre then playing him on his own up top,it's damn wrong IMO.

The strikers we have are probably fine for this level. Money and Hunt Certainly. Trouble is our entire ethos at the club is defend. Even when we are attacking. You see it in Leonard when you watch him. Naturally he likes to attack but something then pulls him back to sit. He has gone from being a creative player to the most static player in the team.

The issue is not the forwards, it's the mentality.

I don't think there was much wrong in Swindon game though so let's be patient and draw the swords when we are a quarter in. Assuming we might score one or two before then.

Back