• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I am not sure if it is a question of money. If Phil Brown is ambitious, he will stick with a managerial role. Assistant managers rarely succeed the managers they serve in professional football. And he will know that better than anyone else.

If Phil takes Southend into the promotion zone this year, he may well be getting much better offers than being Sam's No. 2.

Not sure if he will leave or not , but I disagree with your point about assistants rarely succeeding.
Without any stats to back it up , I think it's usually these 'struggling' premier league teams who do give the number 2 a shot , usually on a temporary basis to see if results improve.
In that sense , I think it's Browns best chance of managing again in the Prem.

I think it can only be bad for the club if PB were to leave. What he has and continues to achieve here should be commended and there are a host of lower league clubs that would love a manager that has done as well as him. Judging by our results so far this season I don't think it's unrealistic to expect a playoff finish. IMHO a large part of that is down to our manager.

Burton who were doing well under Rowett have done even better since he left, doesn't always mean a club declines if a successful manager leaves.

Can't see PB going to Sunderland as a number 2 personally. As someone has stated, he'll walk out on a 3 year contract, shares in the club and a potential windfall when the new stadium is built. He's built a good squad together and has had a lot of backing from the chairman.

I shouldn't imagine he'd be on much more money as a number 2 at Sunderland than what he's earning here. Not only that, Sam's lifespan at any club is never that long (Bolton excluded) so won't have much job security.

He was one of England's longest serving managers when he was at West Ham....!!:blush:

I am not sure if it is a question of money. If Phil Brown is ambitious, he will stick with a managerial role. Assistant managers rarely succeed the managers they serve in professional football. And he will know that better than anyone else.

If Phil takes Southend into the promotion zone this year, he may well be getting much better offers than being Sam's No. 2.

Yes and no really. He ain't no spring chicken so this will obviously have baring on his thinking. He has been out of the top division for a number of years now so the best he could hope for as a number 1 would be Championship level.
Sunderland is his home town club and Big Sam is his mate - I would expect him to go if offered as who knows what could happen? To be in the premier league even as a number 2 would IMO be to good an opportunity to turn down.
However, he is making headlines with us at the moment and has IMO put together the best side that I can remember since our Championship season. Also, we don't know the relationship he has with the chairman. Martin wanted him for a while before he got him and I for one was shocked we got someone of his calibre. I reckon he is on a fare whack here and is on a long contract, Sunderland would have to pay a few quid to get him.

What most are overlooking is the fact that Brown was out of the game for a long time and desperate to get back.

Why he would then turn his back on a managers job he took so long to get to take an assistant job I dont know, he would then find it hard to get the number 1 job again.

He would earn more at Sunderland for as long as he was there, but if he stays here he may stay in management far longer.

What most are overlooking is the fact that Brown was out of the game for a long time and desperate to get back.

Why he would then turn his back on a managers job he took so long to get to take an assistant job I dont know, he would then find it hard to get the number 1 job again.

He would earn more at Sunderland for as long as he was there, but if he stays here he may stay in management far longer.

Money !

Every manager has a short shelf life,Phil could earn enough at Sunderland to feather his own nest and if they stay up he would earn even more with potential to obtain a better job.

The dilemma for PB is he would have to stay for 10 years to earn what he could in 2 years at Sunderland. If we continue our current run of results then he will surely be offered a decent championship club. On the other hand if we end up in the relegation zone he could be sacked

Even as a n assistant in the premiership he would be involved with all the current players, teams and tactics etc. This may be seen as a better CV for another top flight club.

Money !

Every manager has a short shelf life,Phil could earn enough at Sunderland to feather his own nest and if they stay up he would earn even more with potential to obtain a better job.

Does an assistant have a longer shelf life then?

If he goes there and Sam gets sacked he would have earnt a couple of years money and be back in the same situation he was and struggling to get back on the managerial ladder.

If he stays here he can move up the ladder and stay within the managerial merry go round.

The dilemma for PB is he would have to stay for 10 years to earn what he could in 2 years at Sunderland. If we continue our current run of results then he will surely be offered a decent championship club. On the other hand if we end up in the relegation zone he could be sacked

Even as a n assistant in the premiership he would be involved with all the current players, teams and tactics etc. This may be seen as a better CV for another top flight club.

He doesnt have to stay here 10 years, as you say another good season and he could be given a job at a Championship club, which is an offer he would struggle to get if he was a number 2.

Yes he could have a bad run and get sacked, but that could happen at Sunderland too.

He has a better chance of staying in a managerial role being a manager than an assistant.

Does an assistant have a longer shelf life then?

If he goes there and Sam gets sacked he would have earnt a couple of years money and be back in the same situation he was and struggling to get back on the managerial ladder.

If he stays here he can move up the ladder and stay within the managerial merry go round.

Assume we lost the next ten games,Phil will get the sack probably.

Sunderland number 2 he would have a tasty deal if he succeeds or fails,no brainer really.

He isnt going to lose the next 10 games, if we finished 20th he wouldnt get the sack.

Long term if he wants to be a manger then staying here is a far better prospect for him than being an assistant.

If it were a Championship calling, or even a big League One side that would be a far bigger attraction.

PB is a mercenary, I don't have a problem with that, I'm sure you have to be in his line of work. I'm sure he'll do what's right for him, his family and his career. Hope he stays, just want to judge him on his results and where he's got the team since he arrived. He's not a "Shrimper" how could he be, I just respect the job he's done for my club so far. I would think any decision a football manager makes about his future has inherent risk.

He isnt going to lose the next 10 games, if we finished 20th he wouldnt get the sack.

Long term if he wants to be a manger then staying here is a far better prospect for him than being an assistant.

If it were a Championship calling, or even a big League One side that would be a far bigger attraction.

Sam phones Phil

SA,Hi Phil fancy it here,2 year gig at 15k a week plus another 200k if we keep them up.
Phil,No ta Sam I like it here .

Hmmmm.

If you could share the full details of Brown's contract and the finer details of the offer from Sunderland as soon as you have them, Mrs B...

image.jpg

Sam phones Phil

SA,Hi Phil fancy it here,2 year gig at 15k a week plus another 200k if we keep them up.
Phil,No ta Sam I like it here .

Hmmmm.

What happens after those two years?

Brown wants to be a manager in the top flight. That comes with big money. The best way to do that is to continue being a manager and doing well.

What happens after those two years?

Brown wants to be a manager in the top flight. That comes with big money. The best way to do that is to continue being a manager and doing well.

Only 20 jobs exist in the top flight,being number 2 puts himself back in the mix,now if Sunderland stayed up then Phil's stock rises which may make one chairman tempted to offer him the main job.

Back