• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This will be an interesting two months ahead for this club. We need to make some decisions and quickly decide on Brown, Bentley and Payne. If they aren't staying, get it done, and start recruiting for safety next year. This team will need to build from here to avoid relegation next season.

This will be an interesting two months ahead for this club. We need to make some decisions and quickly decide on Brown, Bentley and Payne. If they aren't staying, get it done, and start recruiting for safety next year. This team will need to build from here to avoid relegation next season.

Very true, there have been too many seasons where the players only get introduced to each other on the bus to the first game.
And too many late, almost panic bringing in "attackers" especially.
Few players will sign with out now who they are going to be working under.

Very true, there have been too many seasons where the players only get introduced to each other on the bus to the first game.
And too many late, almost panic bringing in "attackers" especially.
Few players will sign with out now who they are going to be working under.

Don't forget we have a history of not paying players in June and July, so probably best not to sign until August.

My next door neighbour is a Wigan season ticket holder and he sits right near the dugout. My neighbour said Brown subbed one of your players and the player refused to shake Brown's outstretched hand, the player ripped his shirt off and clearly mouthed "******".

There’s a scene in Spielberg’s Saving Private Ryan where a Nazi soldier overpowers a young US soldier and slowly and gradually slides a knife into his chest. Today the knife was a football, the young solider was Ted Smith, and the game was an excruciating 90 minutes of torture.

Smith, a young enlistee, was thrown into the battle and was left mercilessly exposed by his supposedly experienced and disciplined defense. Each wave of enemy attack opened up gaping holes into the defensive line, and experienced defensive battlements like Coker and White were left static and crumbling while chaos ensued.

The first attack down the right defensive flank caused the wheels of John White to fall off. After that he never recovered, and the enemy knew they had an avenue they could exploit. Thompson decided too early that it was time to launch some kamikaze attacks, however he failed to find a target with his interceptions and too often left a hole down the middle. Barrett, for all his experience and craft, was not able to deal with the quick movement and power. Is this a tour too many for the ageing war hero?

In the middle line, Ryan Leonard had clearly been rushed back from the medical hospital, and was short of pace. Deegan tried to throw a grenade from an attacking position, which went backwards, bisected Coker and Thompson and caused significant damage. Deegan then got confused about whether Thompson was ally or foe, and after a confrontation did a Sergeant Pyle, stuck a 6-guage in his mouth and blew his brains out.

Worrall and Atkinson had some relative success, with their pace and guile able to provide moments of respite, and some gains in field position, but were not able to inflict a clear blow. McQueen was little boy lost, and Barnett more often than not inflicted friendly fire on his poor teammates.

With the engine in the tank spluttering and stalling, rather than make a fix to the engine, Colonel Brown decided to replace the windscreen wipers, with Barnett and McQueen given compassionate leave and Payne and Mooney entering the bloodbath. However it was only when the relatively impressive McLaughlin entered the Southend started to trouble Wigan.

The battle sluttered to its bloody conclusion. The occasional moment of joy erased by Wigan’s ability to calmly take time out of the battle, and slowly we chocked to death in our own blood.

God I’m bored. Fair play to the Southend fans to travelled and kept spirits high.

Ratings:
Smith – 6
White – 1
Barrett – 5
Thompson – 3
Coker – 4
Worrall – 5
Leonard – 2
Deegan - 2
Atkinson – 4
McQueen – 4
Barnett – 3

Subs:
Mooney – 5
Payne - 5
McLaughlin - 6
Barratt 5 :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: 2nd best player :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
Thanks for making me laugh, needed a laugh, here in the trenches.
Just waiting now for the white flag which you will surely be waving.

Highlights of yesterday - new ground, £2.15 for a pint in the Anvil, decent pie, and train getting back to Euston 15 minutes early.
As others have said fortunately Wigan eased off otherwise this could have ended up in double figures !

Why did the Wigan fans leave early ? Was there a fire drill!

My next door neighbour is a Wigan season ticket holder and he sits right near the dugout. My neighbour said Brown subbed one of your players and the player refused to shake Brown's outstretched hand, the player ripped his shirt off and clearly mouthed "******".

Interesting, so who was subbed? Barnett and McQueen before half time, both loanees - would they have done this? McQueen, I don't think so, he'll go back to Southampton perfectly happy. Barnett? Possibly, things have all gone wrong for him especially in the last month. Now, Deegan was the other who was subbed just before the hour mark - would he have done this?

Interesting, so who was subbed? Barnett and McQueen before half time, both loanees - would they have done this? McQueen, I don't think so, he'll go back to Southampton perfectly happy. Barnett? Possibly, things have all gone wrong for him especially in the last month. Now, Deegan was the other who was subbed just before the hour mark - would he have done this?

The player being referred to was Deegan.

Brown was telling the players to keep the ball moving ....... and then we had a free kick close to the half way line that Deegs took quickly ..... but his "pass" backwards was not to a specific player and just put the defence under more pressure. Immediately Thommo faced up to Deegs, they were pulled apart by 1 or 2 of our players and the ref then had a talk to Deegs and Barrett. Only a few seconds later Deegs took down a Wigan player and was booked. McLaughlin started to warm up and Deegs was subbed a couple of minutes later.

I wasn't watching as Deegs went past Brown but there was an "ooohhh" sound from the main stand and I looked over to see Deegs taking his seat with what could have been a torn shirt.

Deegs gets 10/10 for caring but 1/10 for enhancing his career prospects. :'(

The player being referred to was Deegan.

Brown was telling the players to keep the ball moving ....... and then we had a free kick close to the half way line that Deegs took quickly ..... but his "pass" backwards was not to a specific player and just put the defence under more pressure. Immediately Thommo faced up to Deegs, they were pulled apart by 1 or 2 of our players and the ref then had a talk to Deegs and Barrett. Only a few seconds later Deegs took down a Wigan player and was booked. McLaughlin started to warm up and Deegs was subbed a couple of minutes later.

I wasn't watching as Deegs went past Brown but there was an "ooohhh" sound from the main stand and I looked over to see Deegs taking his seat with what could have been a torn shirt.

Deegs gets 10/10 for caring but 1/10 for enhancing his career prospects. :'(

I have never rated deegan and his performances have been that of a league two player all season. There are a few in our squad that are league two quality and have been found out this season. I think atkinson and white also fit that mould.

Doesnt mean that they arent triers , they just arent anywhere good enough in this division.

I have never rated deegan and his performances have been that of a league two player all season. There are a few in our squad that are league two quality and have been found out this season. I think atkinson and white also fit that mould.

Doesnt mean that they arent triers , they just arent anywhere good enough in this division.

How would you rate the players who have not played well enough or with any consistency to get in the team ahead of these players. Like Wordsworth, Timlin, O'Neil, Hurst and McLaughlin.

but we're mid table so i think it's quite clear that the players are good enough for league 1. Good enough for mid table but not quite good enough to challenge for top 6/7

But we're mid table so I think it's quite clear that the players are good enough for league 1. Good enough for mid table but not quite good enough to challenge for top 6/7.

You could expand this further by saying that they are good enough for the top places when they are capable of beating Sheffield United, Burton and Barnsley ................ but then not good enough to stay outside the relegation zone with games against Oldham, Wigan, Rochdale and Blackpool.

As is the way now, there will be a clear out come summer ............ I'm just a little disappointed that "assets" such as Bentley, Coker, Payne and Leonard have not perhaps/arguably lived up to their potential when the season is considered overall.

As is the way now, there will be a clear out come summer ............ I'm just a little disappointed that "assets" such as Bentley, Coker, Payne and Leonard have not perhaps/arguably lived up to their potential when the season is considered overall.

Both Lenny and Coker were greatly affected by quite bad injuries. Had Lenny not have been, then I think there might actually have been a challenge for POTY!

How was Ted Smith?

Blameless.

I completely missed the banner! Hard to disagree with the sentiments expressed in it.

Wigan scored five, had one disallowed, hit the post twice and missed two open goals. They only played for an hour.

In that hour we failed to have a single attack. By that I mean we didn't win a single corner, didn't have a single shot and didn't even get close enough for a long throw. When we eventually had a shot it was from 25 yards out and went at least 15 yards wide.

The team selection surprised me. I get not playing the contract rebels, but why then play two loanees? I suppose Barnett may after all be here next season but why McQueen ahead of McLaughlin? If that's to encourage him to join, why not encourage Payne to stay? I suppose must have PB agreed as he dragged them both off before half-time. But they weren't the only problem as Deegan was subbed inside an hour; John White produced the worst full-back display since Che Wilson at Sheffield Wednesday and Will Atkinson was so anonymous that I'd forgotten that he was playing.

That's now the 4th time we've shopped 4 goals in the last 4 months. PB must be running out of players to force out the club.

White was just awful. What has happened to him, so reliable all through last season and the first half of this one. Coker too.

White was just awful. What has happened to him, so reliable all through last season and the first half of this one. Coker too.

Ayrshire keeps going on about the Herbalife stuff, I wonder if it does have any bearing?

Back