• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A way in to the second half one of the BT commentators insisted on sticking a microphone in Cowley's face asking for game comments. These he gave, sort of . Obviously mid match interviews are not his forte. And for that matter BT are complete nobheads for doing it.

Yeah I noticed that. Hardly helped that Grimsby were on the attack at the time and he had to pause as the Braintree goalkeeper made an excellent save. They'd never get away with this in the Prem so why they (BT) think it is acceptable to do it at this level is beyond me.

Overall a really solid display by Braintree. Hard-working and ensured there was always pressure on the ball. I hate Grimsby so I really hope Braintree carry it through on Sunday.

If they can get to Wembley I will definitely try and get there and get behind Braintree. How amazing if Dan Cowley and Co can get them in professional football! So lets go Braintree, Halfway there!

If Braintree get to the football league it will be even bigger than Leicester winning the premier league by far, this is massive for Braintree as they ain't even a full time football club, they have made massive steps over the last few years:thumbsup:

No tickets on the day for Sunday, buy in advance was the message on BBC Essex late last night for anyone considering going to the 2nd leg.

If Braintree get to the football league it will be even bigger than Leicester winning the premier league by far, this is massive for Braintree as they ain't even a full time football club, they have made massive steps over the last few years:thumbsup:

In relative terms, that's right and I was thinking the same thing myself..

Yeah I noticed that. Hardly helped that Grimsby were on the attack at the time and he had to pause as the Braintree goalkeeper made an excellent save. They'd never get away with this in the Prem so why they (BT) think it is acceptable to do it at this level is beyond me.

This is why you have more than one person on the bench. Whilst the manager is being interviewed it's their job to shout instructions interspersed with some choice anglo-saxon phraseology for emphasis.

The TV companies will eventually take the ****ing hint.

Also, fans need to up their game. I remember a few years/decades back when we were playing Brighton and Dave Beckett was trying to record an introduction in front of the Southend fans. Instead of a few seagulls barking in the background the Southend faithful helpfully and repeatedly sung Beckett is a ****** every time he tried to record a link.

Why are Braintree nicknamed The Iron?

Read this, all will be revealed. Its all to do with windows it seems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braintree_Town_F.C.

Later......... The link above is not taking me where I got the info from, strange. An extract from it below:

[h=2]History[edit][/h]The club was formed in 1898 as Manor Works, the works team of the Crittall Window Company, from which they gained their nickname IRON[SUP][1][/SUP] The new club took over the fixtures of the recently defunct Braintree F.C. in the North Essex League, and also took on most of the former club's players.[SUP][1][/SUP] They left the league in 1900, but returned in 1901. They won the title in 1905–06, 1910–11 and 1911–12. In 1911 they also joined Division 2A of the Essex & Suffolk Border League, remaining in the league until 1928.
In 1921 they were renamed Crittall Athletic to be more closely identified with their parent company.[SUP][1][/SUP] After winning Division 2A West twice, they were promoted to the Senior Division of the Border League in 1925. In 1928 they joined the Spartan League, and in 1935 were founder members of the Eastern Counties League. They won the league in its second season, but then left to join the newly established Essex County League.[SUP][2][/SUP] The new league folded after a single season (in which Crittall were runners-up) and the club returned to the ECL.
After World War II the ECL did not resume in 1945, so Crittall joined the Eastern Division London League instead. After finishing second in their first season, they were promoted to the Premier Division. They were invited to rejoin the ECL in 1947, but turned the offer down and remained in the London League, where they won the League Cup twice before returning to the ECL in 1952.[SUP][1][/SUP] In 1954 they turned professional, but financial problems forced them to revert to amateur status and drop back down into the Border League at the end of the 1954–55 season.
In 1959–60 they won the league and League Cup double. They switched to the Greater London League in 1964, and then to the Metropolitan League in 1966. They were renamed Braintree & Crittall Athletic in 1968,[SUP][3][/SUP] and in 1970 returned to the ECL again. In 1981 all links with Crittall were severed and the club was renamed Braintree F.C.,[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP] before adopting their current name in 1983.[SUP][5][/SUP] They won their second ECL title in 1983–84 and retained it the following season. In 1986–87 they won the Essex Senior Trophy and the following season they won the League Cup.

I'd love to see Braintree promoted, but

Is Cressing Rd up to league standard?

Will Cowley give up his job at Fitz to go full time with Braintree and what about the part time players? Can they afford to give up their day jobs?

I'd love to see Braintree promoted, but

Is Cressing Rd up to league standard?

Will Cowley give up his job at Fitz to go full time with Braintree and what about the part time players? Can they afford to give up their day jobs?
no no and no I would of thought, they have the smallest budget in the league I think, that's why it's crazy in what they have achieved in the last few years, rather low attendances also for the level they are in now.

Back