• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Why cannot we just sign half decent players who have not suffered a serious injury or have had in some cases a very checkered and ill disciplined past???

Finances!!
That appears too often as an excuse. We have released 6 players I believe. Then Deegan left. Bentley, Payne and Worrall have all decided to depart. As well as 6 loan signings returning to their clubs.Our wage bill has been substantially slashed. We will also at some stage also receive substantial incoming transfer fees.

Other clubs are in a much worse position than us I should imagine, or is it that our finances are much worse than we know.

Hope his 'failed medical' at Sheffield Wednesday is nothing to worry about! Had cruciate ligament problem.

This was a couple of years ago and bizarrely after 'failing' a medical at Wednesday, he passed one at Birmingham. Thought it may be concerning that Birmingham didn't take up the option of keeping him for another year. However he only made one appearance for them, in the League Cup, so perhaps he was just surplus to requirements? A bigger concern may be the injury which led to the strange hand ball incident, could that be a re-occurance of his crucial ligaments problem? If he gets as far as a medical with us, it will be interesting to see the result. Apart from that it looks as though it could be a good signing for us.

He's had a few basic injuries which have hampered his progress.

He's played in the Scottish prem Scottish cup final and also in Europe. Plenty of experience .

If fit then I think that he could be a quality signing - good age and plenty still to prove.

Prefer this scenario, as with Ranger, rather than someone coming to the end of their career and working their way down the football pyramid.

Young and hungry is what many wanted- they are young and they have something to prove (making them hungry..)

That appears too often as an excuse. We have released 6 players I believe. Then Deegan left. Bentley, Payne and Worrall have all decided to depart. As well as 6 loan signings returning to their clubs.Our wage bill has been substantially slashed. We will also at some stage also receive substantial incoming transfer fees.

Other clubs are in a much worse position than us I should imagine, or is it that our finances are much worse than we know.

We could release our entire squad, but that wont mean we can offer individual players big salaries.

We are not an attractive team to play for either reputation, facilities or finances, we have to take a chance with players.

We could release our entire squad, but that wont mean we can offer individual players big salaries.

We are not an attractive team to play for either reputation, facilities or finances, we have to take a chance with players.

I make most of what you say right. We are also an aspiring club wanting to play above its means. Where many clubs look for and find the steady Eddie's, we take a punt on the cheapest way to sign potential/ability, in the hope that it might come good and realise our ambition. RM wants higher level football, whether wise or not before FF, and us fans clamour for a league status that should not be attained given our financial circumstance/history.

So the crocks, the aged and the screw loose players are where we take a regular punt. It's not always paid off but that's life perched on a wheel of fortune.

I don't think this should be overstated. We're a decent sized club who pay competitive wages (occasionally) and who are based in the nicest part of the England, right near London with great weather.

It was better when Reflex was open but Southend is still a nice place to live and work.

We'll have a problem getting players to relocate a couple of hundred miles for average League One money because most lower league clubs seem to be up North but there's still hundreds of unemployed footballers within a couple of hours drive of Roots Hall, most of whom I'm sure would love to get a contract here.

Ah, that last bit might be true, or might not be true. While we have a Chairman who cannot afford to run a football club, or maybe he can. The wages will be there, on time, every time, or they might not be. The only certain thing about supporting Southend United, is the complete uncertainty of supporting them. Are our finances worse than you know, almost certainly.

I don't think this should be overstated. We're a decent sized club who pay competitive wages (occasionally) and who are based in the nicest part of the England, right near London with great weather.

It was better when Reflex was open but Southend is still a nice place to live and work.

We'll have a problem getting players to relocate a couple of hundred miles for average League One money because most lower league clubs seem to be up North but there's still hundreds of unemployed footballers within a couple of hours drive of Roots Hall, most of whom I'm sure would love to get a contract here.

There must be loads of players who live in or around London who are out of work or looking to go out on season loans, and would not even have to move home to play for Southend.

Oh Im not saying we cant attract players, just that when we have to compete for indemand players we are going to struggle and saying its our finances at fault like the person I replied to doesnt explain it.

When you go for a player like Novak and the competition is Charlton we are bound to miss out.

Yes we will easily sign players who dont have many options, but the ones we are missing out on so far are generally a bit more in demand choosing bigger clubs to go to. Dont have a problem with that, means we are being ambitious, but others seem to take it as an indication no one will come here, which obviously isnt true as we have signed 4 and have a few trialists already.

New Transfer rules should be good news for our youngsters, especially now that emergency loans have been scrapped. Last year we had to many loanees by far coming in, it seemed to disrupt things at times, they were also played out of positions as we fiddled about. In part and by Phils admission it contributed to the performance decline. Edinburgh admitted much the same thing at Gillingham.
Business will now be restricted to the 2 standard transfer windows. Only Permanent OR loan deals that must be for half a season or a full season will be permitted between NOW and 31st August. Phil also stated he would be looking to focus on a smaller squad this season for some of the above reasons. Funnily enough some clubs are looking at it the other way, anxious about injuries and selection problems ( without the recourse to loans ) they will be looking to enlarge their squads. Enlargement though can come from the youngsters, senior scholars, and it should therefore benefit sides that have the youthful talent, after all this is one of the main reason for the rule changes.
The likes of Matsuzaka, Kiprianu, Bridge, the 2 Williams and Cotton? may well have to step up to the plate as looking closer to Home becomes a more important bet. That means recruitment will have to be even more thoughtful as we wont be able to dip into that particular loan market window any more. It also means Premiership and Championship clubs will have to make more urgent decision now , or soon, otherwise they will have a lot of malcontents hanging around.

Being a bit naughty I would say we have in recent years taken some significant risks in recruiting the elderly, infirm , crocked and lads with behavioural issues, ( OK a slight exaggeration ). Sometimes it has paid off handsomely , other times it been rather poor to say the least.

So , in addition to the above improved opportunity for youngsters Im hoping we can pick up some physically, mentally fit, talented players, with some experience from a higher level aged between 24 and 29, and maybe as the time is ripe one or two longer term loanees. ( 2 strikers maybe and a couple of centre backs? ) Other clubs are managing this quite well, some with no more funds than us, picking up players in the above category, without such risks. Not saying we havent done well with Mc Glashen and Demitriou, but a few more like that would be ideal. Its getting a little late, Zinfandel late, but Phil says he is in talks with 3 or 4 more and I believe we should see them emerge soon

That means recruitment will have to be even more thoughtful as we wont be able to dip into that particular loan market window any more. It also means Premiership and Championship clubs will have to make more urgent decisions now, or soon, otherwise they will have a lot of malcontents hanging around.

Good post :thumbsup: - I have been against the practice of larger clubs ******* up all possible talent and then hanging on to players by using the loan market. This should be to our advantage in the longer term.

And I agree that bringing in loan players can be disruptive and some (but not all) are no better than players we have already who have more experience and discipline to call upon.

I am hoping that a number of players from the London area clubs will be looking to find other teams in the next few weeks. Piggott is not a great example but it can be that players come to realise that they do not really feature in the manager's plans for the season and look elsewhere - perhaps having their current contracts mutually terminated and moving on.

What I am not sure of is whether the rule change will see clubs try to hold onto these players now (as loans are rarer beasts) or will look to offload and use the budget on another player that fits their needs more.

New Transfer rules should be good news for our youngsters, especially now that emergency loans have been scrapped. Last year we had to many loanees by far coming in, it seemed to disrupt things at times, they were also played out of positions as we fiddled about. In part and by Phils admission it contributed to the performance decline. Edinburgh admitted much the same thing at Gillingham.
Business will now be restricted to the 2 standard transfer windows. Only Permanent OR loan deals that must be for half a season or a full season will be permitted between NOW and 31st August. Phil also stated he would be looking to focus on a smaller squad this season for some of the above reasons. Funnily enough some clubs are looking at it the other way, anxious about injuries and selection problems ( without the recourse to loans ) they will be looking to enlarge their squads. Enlargement though can come from the youngsters, senior scholars, and it should therefore benefit sides that have the youthful talent, after all this is one of the main reason for the rule changes.
The likes of Matsuzaka, Kiprianu, Bridge, the 2 Williams and Cotton? may well have to step up to the plate as looking closer to Home becomes a more important bet. That means recruitment will have to be even more thoughtful as we wont be able to dip into that particular loan market window any more. It also means Premiership and Championship clubs will have to make more urgent decision now , or soon, otherwise they will have a lot of malcontents hanging around.

Being a bit naughty I would say we have in recent years taken some significant risks in recruiting the elderly, infirm , crocked and lads with behavioural issues, ( OK a slight exaggeration ). Sometimes it has paid off handsomely , other times it been rather poor to say the least.

So , in addition to the above improved opportunity for youngsters Im hoping we can pick up some physically, mentally fit, talented players, with some experience from a higher level aged between 24 and 29, and maybe as the time is ripe one or two longer term loanees. ( 2 strikers maybe and a couple of centre backs? ) Other clubs are managing this quite well, some with no more funds than us, picking up players in the above category, without such risks. Not saying we havent done well with Mc Glashen and Demitriou, but a few more like that would be ideal. Its getting a little late, Zinfandel late, but Phil says he is in talks with 3 or 4 more and I believe we should see them emerge soon

Yes these new rules will benefit smaller/poorer clubs, we have been building up our under 21 squad in readiness for next season over the last 12 months or so, hopefully the young lads will have learned something from our "adventures" last season!

My favourite line was about Nile Rangers 'history' being in the past.
Surely everyone's history is in the past ??

Reading have made a 2nd bid for Coker. At this rate we won't have a decent team as all our best players seem to b leaving

Back