• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brown wants Bentley to make up his mind

"Echosport understands an experienced locally based goalkeeper is also keen on the position".

I presume the Echo is referring to the full time coaching role, and guessing he is a retired proffesional. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to whom this local is?
I know he did before but does anyone know if Dean Gerken still lives locally?

It's Lee Harrison. He's done some coaching all over the place but most recently at Orient and West Ham I believe. Think the favourite for the role is probably the bloke recommended by Jaaskelainen though, as Brown loves his name drops.

What's more interesting to me is the suggestion that we're looking to bring in another. I'm not sure about this - I think Ted should be given the chance - and if he crumbles under the pressure we could easily take in a loan. If we bring someone in who's decent, that basically condemns Ted to another season on the side lines which I don't think is ideal for him. If we bring someone in who's half decent, but will be quite happy if Ted displaces him, that's a waste of a transfer.

My issue with this is what would that do to Ted's confidence? A lot of this is going to be down to what improvements Ted makes in the summer, certainly he needs to bulk up a bit. I'd be all for getting an experienced keeper in who is probably looking to end of his career in a few years time.

I like to think that bringing our keepers through our youth system is great . But I fear Ted smith isn't up to league one football True Bentley had to start somewhere .But didn't Bentley cut his teeth in the league we have left behind not league one .Having seen both keepers I feel Ted smith is to slight and needs to bulk up a little .And yes if Bentley goes which he will .We need another keeper with a bit of league know how to push Ted a little .

I like to think that bringing our keepers through our youth system is great . But I fear Ted smith isn't up to league one football True Bentley had to start somewhere .But didn't Bentley cut his teeth in the league we have left behind not league one .Having seen both keepers I feel Ted smith is to slight and needs to bulk up a little .And yes if Bentley goes which he will .We need another keeper with a bit of league know how to push Ted a little .

A lot of people keep saying this but it won't make much difference to his game and not in the area's he needs to improve. Besides he has grown in the last year and will be under the guidance of some good strength and conditioning coaches we now have

The latest addition to our backroom staff is Jamie Douglas. He is the black lad you may have seen giving out the water on the side-lines in the last few games. He is areal good lad, former Southend rugby player and was previously with Fulham as one of their strength and conditioning team. I do know him personally and he is delighted to be back in town and working at Southend.

Exactly.

If PB decides now that Ted Smith is going to be our number 1 next season, and brings in a "squad" player who is adequate cover and won't really push Ted, then Ted has a horror start to the season, his number two isn't a good enough replacement.

I'd like someone who is more than capable of becoming number 1 straight away. That doesn't mean he is going to, I think Ted & whoever the new number 1 is will fight it out, but I'd rather have the number 2 being more than capable of becoming the number 1.

I'd love Forde from Millwall. Been an excellent goalkeeper for them over the years, but is on the bench at the moment. No idea about his contract situation, but a very good goalkeeper. Dean Gerken is another good custodian too.

The Sun reporting Bentley is close to a Rangers deal. If you look on the Rangers forum they've been talking about him and Warburton has come out and said they are after a keeper but it won't be Bentley.

As for Ted, I think people are very critical of him and forget that obviously he is highly thought of as he has been playing for England u20's. There is nothing wrong with giving him a chance this season, as long as he has a solid defence in front of him with a good captain (Barrett) then I can see him progressing well. If you get another keeper in who is better then it will set Ted back and he will want to leave for first team football. The time is right for him now so let's give him the chance.

I've heard Ted Smith is injured. I hope it's not serious because we could be needing two new keepers to start the season otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard Ted Smith is injured. I hope it's not serious because we could be needing two new keepers to start the season otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's true, then he has over a month to recover before pre-season friendlies start. I wouldn't worry.

Just seen this on Facebook from someone called Colin Wall:

The high sort after keeper Daniel Bentley will be at Hatties Heroes and Matthew Southgate Charity game on Sunday at the Selex sports and leisure club Basildon. Gates open at 12:30 and tickets are available on the gate only £5 adults and £3 for under 10's.
Dan is unable to play due to his links of signing for a top Premiership Club in the next few days but wants to show his support by being there on the day and offing a pair of his signed gloves as a prize plus is happy to do photos with any fans.

I agree that Smith needs to continue his development , but it's such a dilemma for the Club if you consider what's occurred with Payne !! Don't play Smith this season he gets disillusioned... Or play him , play him too early to keep him happy but don't actually protect his progression ( which again I think PB has done superbly well with Payne only for it to be used now as a stick to hit him with ).

But yes, for me , an experienced number 1 to come in, continue to blood Smith and hopefully he will see its for his best in the long term

A key point is the defence that is lined up in front of Ted Smith ..... the game at Wigan for instance was a bit of a nightmare as the Wigan players strolled through the defence to take shots as they pleased ....... but with a solid back four things would be very different.

Back