• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-1 Charlton Athletic

That was another really good game of football. Whatever happened to the "clean sheet mentality". Two teams who wanted three points, played the game in the right way and to be honest... a draw was probably the right, if disappointing, result. If only Atkinson had buried that chance just before they scored.

Really pleased Ted Smith stepped up and put in a performance like that. Quality saves are great, but he also looked in command of his area. Maybe playing behind a back four marshalled by Anton helps a lot. Cox looks settled and is starting to become a real handful. In fact given where we were early season, to have those three forwards available is an embarrassment of riches.

1-1 didn't do the game justice, but we certainly got our monies worth.

I thought the draw was probably a fair result in the end, but we really should have taken one of the opportunities to stick a 2nd in earlier on which would have made it easier to deal with their onslaught towards the end. How we didn't get the ball in the net again was a bit of a mystery, seemed the goal in front of the South led a bit of a charmed life.

Gutted about McLaughlin's injury, he's such a key player, neat, tidy and such skill down the wing and crossing the ball. McGlashan was the obvious sub at that time, even if it wasn't what was intended.

A huge well done to Ted Smith for a really good performance, desperately unlucky not to keep a clean sheet as he pulled off some great saves and dealt with the added pressure from the Charlton fans too. A well deserved MOTM from the sponsors and one I agreed with too.

There are people around us who moan about Lenny sometimes, but I don't think they can be watching everything he does in the game. We do miss those forward runs but he's covering so much defensively and some of his play makes you really worry whether we'll keep him much longer. Thought he had a good game today.

Smith - 9, MOTM, a high mark but I felt he deserved it. A variety of clearances, never looked in the least bit ruffled.
Demetriou - 6.5, not even on the same page as Tuesday.
Thompson - 8, dealt with the Charlton forwards well in the earlier part of the game.
Ferdinand - 8.5, quality performance
Timlin - 8, some of those tackles look truly frightening at times! Such a terrier, nothing is a lost cause where he's concerned!
Atkinson - 7, not as good as Tuesday but still did ok
Leonard - 8, the lynchpin of the side, absolutely vital to the team
Wordsworth - 7.5, some good deliveries though please can we drop the short corners, they never work for us. One glorious shot that would have been a cracker if it had gone in
McLaughlin - 7.5, outjumped his taller opponent several times to win headers and played the ball about well
Fortune - 7.5, not quite as good a performance as Tuesday but still showed some skill and good intent. I was surprised he wasn't subbed for Ranger as I'd have thought Cox and Ranger would be 1st choice, but I guess that's because Cox had had a knock and we have a game Monday.
Cox - 8, guy is class.

Subs:
Ranger for Fortune - 7.5, not on for that long but showed what he's about. First time we've heard opposition supporters baiting him in quite that way?
McGlashan for McLaughlin - not really on long enough to mark.

An enjoyable game, made all the better by getting kisses from not one but two footballers pitchside! :blush: :winking:

pretty much how I viewed it, and also so pleased for Ted, who thoroughly deserved the MoTM award, if he carries this forward I am not sure Oxley will be getting the jersey back?. Timlin was really fired up again today, very impressive and again another dilemma for PB with Coker almost fit, just a shame about McL injury as he has been on fire recently. One possibility would be to play Atkinson on the right with Timlin pushing forward on the left in front of Coker?

Why did Cox go off and not MAF, who looked knackered?

Charlton are a decent side, gave us very little time on the ball, shame to concede so late, but on reflection it was a fair result.

PS; No player kisses for me, thankfully!

PS; No player kisses for me, thankfully!

Cox took a knock the other day so I would guess it was precautionary particularly as we're playing again Monday.

P.S. Would have been worried if you had! :winking:

Brilliant guys doing us fans proud .Like I said Ted will be better than Bentley ..
Happy new year everyone

First half was decent but a bit flat. The crowd were also flat despite it being a full house, and the two may be linked.

We didn't create too much first half, scored a good goal, looked tight at the back and had a good chance with Wordsworth that their keeper saved well. I wonder if he'd of been better off going with his right.

Also, maybe i've been spoiled recently and we weren't that bad.

Second half was a cracking game. I was expecting us to sit deep to start with like we usually do but we both flew out the blocks. Both teams really went for it and there were loads of good chances.

For me Smith was excellent, really stood out and wasn't to blame for the equaliser. I personally think we went a bit too deep towards the end, i would of made some earlier subs to try to kick on but that's a minor thing.

Ferdinand was immense, Thompson not far off. Excellent partnership as Thompson's greater mobility compensates for Anton who has superb reading of the game. The no 9 for them was in Anton's pocket all day. At one point in the first half 9 brings the ball down on his chest facing his own goal and lays it off and nothing comes of it. That was excellent defending by Anton coz a younger defender might have climbed all over him desperate to win the ball. Anton saw he wasn't going to win it and that nothing was going to come of it so let him have it. A fine example of Anton's nous.

Leonard is a god amongst men. His recovery work is unreal and he was my man of the match, just over Smith and Anton. His desire to do the dirty work is unreal, as is his pace. No one gets past him.

Cox is a class act, good finish and good all round play. Looked to be struggling second half and was stretching a lot so a fair substitution.

Fortune was less good than boxing day. For me he spends too much time out wide and can't finish well enough but his work for the team is excellent and he is very skilful. This is no past it hanging on for his last pay cheque, he's superb. If he could finish he'd be world class. His miss near the end probably cost us the win.

Overall, a very enjoyable game. We had the chances but didn't take them. To me, we got too deep at the end and that's where their goal came from, but that's what happens when you don't take your chances.

Good game, enjoyed it, onwards and upwards. Point gained, just, over two points dropped

Last edited:
Good game and a good point. They had their chances and Smith made some good saves they all rattled the bar a few times. However we missed a few good chances so overall 1-1 fair result. I know he has made some quality saves and it will come with experience but Ted does not give me much confidence when a ball is being pumped into the air, seems to prefer to punch away and avoid taking a catch above his head.

Hopefully the crowds will say high, the players have given two games of entertainment so lets hope people come back in the New Year rather than just attendting the big games and holiday games.

We have sheffield united and bolton coming up. Both will be well attended.

First half was decent but a bit flat. The crowd were also flat despite it being a full house, and the two may be linked.

We didn't create too much first half, scored a good goal, looked tight at the back and had a good chance with Wordsworth that their keeper saved well. I wonder if he'd of been better off going with his right.

Also, maybe i've been spoiled recently and we weren't that bad.

Second half was a cracking game. I was expecting us to sit deep to start with like he usually do but we both flew out the blocks. Both teams really went for it and there were loads of good chances.

For me Smith was excellent, really stood out and wasn't to blame for the equaliser. I personally think we went a bit too deep towards the end, i would of made some earlier subs to try to kick on but that's a minor thing.

Ferdinand was immense, Thompson not far off. Excellent partnership as Thompson's greater mobility compensates for Anton who has superb reading of the game. The no 9 for them was in Anton's pocket all day. At one point in the first half 9 brings the ball down on his chest facing his own goal and lays it off and nothing comes of it. That was excellent defending by Anton coz a younger defender might have climbed all over him desperate to win the ball. Anton saw he wasn't going to win it and that nothing was going to come of it so let him have it. A fine example of Anton's nous.

Leonard is a god amongst men. His recovery work is unreal and he was my man of the match, just over Smith and Anton. His desire to do the dirty work is unreal, as is his pace. No one gets past him.

Cox is a class act, good finish and good all round play. Looked to be struggling second half and was stretching a lot so a fair substitution.

Fortune was less good than boxing day. For me he spends too much time out wide and can't finish well enough but his work for the team is excellent and he is very skilful. This is no past it hanging on for his last pay cheque, he's superb. If he could finish he'd be world class. His miss near the end probably cost us the win.

Overall, a very enjoyable game. We had the chances but didn't take them. To me, we got too deep at the end and that's where their goal came from, but that's what happens when you don't take your chances.

Good game, enjoyed it, onwards and upwards. Point gained, just, over two points dropped

Lenny was superb today, my MOM. He does so much work in front of the back four, and it's rare for him to be beaten for pace.
His tackling is always well timed. Extend Lenny's contract before it's too late !

I am not one for giving individual scores so here goes.

Fair Result. Gutting to throw it away at the end but couldn't argue.

Ted Smith did nothing wrong and looked assured. One double handed punch when I thought he should have caught it from a corner but that is as picky as I can be. Great Saves and looked solid. Does not look out of place now. Two very good games behind him.

Anton Ferdinand. What a player at this level. Rarely troubled and brings the best out of Thompson.

Ryan Leonard. A long time admirer of his defensive cover and athleticism. Only his passing let him down today (same goes for most of the team !)

Fortune was not at his best today

Cox made the goal out of nothing and unlucky not to have another

Tiger Timlin. Not a regular left back and caught out of position every now and then. My god does he know how to challenge and is doing an excellent job in the left back position.

TBV As a regular in the East Stand I have been known to criticize TBV on the odd occasion but the last two games I have watched from the West Stand and have to say they have been superb. It may be the acoustics that mean I cannot hear them in the East or the two games I have been in the West that we have been doing well. All I know is they were magnificent again today and I am happy to have been proved wrong.

Late Comers. For the love of god get to the ground in time so that when you phaff around trying to find your seat, the rest of us aren't getting ****ed off at you getting in our way.

very generous praise of W block, but undeserving imo. We were pretty flat I thought and when they scored Most failed to sing, it's easy to sing when we are winning . However that's another game when we score singing ,,"blue and white army', we should sing it more often 😀

First game of the season for me, as has been said, draw was about fair result, but gutted we couldn't hold on. Wish Macca's curler had gone in...but ho hum. Agree Anton looks so calm and composed and brings out the best in Thommo. Just seemed like things didn't quite click today and passing was a bit sloppy at times, from both sides. 12 unbeaten, may the run continue.

Happy New Year all!

Don't do individual ratings so won't start now but to say that Smith, Ferdinand and Timlin were stand out players, is a understatement. On that showing from Southend's number 8 I imagine it will take a injury or serious drop in form for Coker to find himself back in the starting eleven. Same should go for Oxley as Smith has more than taken his chance IMO.
Had one all written all over it soon as Cox made a mess of a three on one situation (after doing the hard bit superbly)
I was worried we were going to blow it even more when I saw six minutes of extra time but to be fair, we looked the team more likely in this period.
I had crap seats (my fault for picking them) so couldn't see how close some our attempts were but we really should have been out of sight midway through the second half or even before.
Weren't a bad game though and a more than decent following from charlton got us over the ten thousand mark first time in a while.
Tough period coming up now - a real defining season thingy thing - going to need the whole squad.

Don't do individual ratings so won't start now but to say that Smith, Ferdinand and Timlin were stand out players, is a understatement. On that showing from Southend's number 8 I imagine it will take a injury or serious drop in form for Coker to find himself back in the starting eleven. Same should go for Oxley as Smith has more than taken his chance IMO.
Had one all written all over it soon as Cox made a mess of a three on one situation (after doing the hard bit superbly)
I was worried we were going to blow it even more when I saw six minutes of extra time but to be fair, we looked the team more likely in this period.
I had crap seats (my fault for picking them) so couldn't see how close some our attempts were but we really should have been out of sight midway through the second half or even before.
Weren't a bad game though and a more than decent following from charlton got us over the ten thousand mark first time in a while.
Tough period coming up now - a real defining season thingy thing - going to need the whole squad.

Are you saying that you approve? Bloody hell, we must be doing well if you're happy.

Lenny was superb today, my MOM. He does so much work in front of the back four, and it's rare for him to be beaten for pace.
His tackling is always well timed. Extend Lenny's contract before it's too late !

Absolutely this. Powerful, solid covers back, makes runs forward. Great game today

Cox was feeling his groin a bit and stretching it when there was a break in play, so I guess he came off as a precaution.

You can't win 'em all. Still a good point earned against a quality opposition. Nobody shirked a second and everyone contributed. Cannot ask for more than that.

Cox took a knock the other day so I would guess it was precautionary particularly as we're playing again Monday.

P.S. Would have been worried if you had! :winking:

I. Was a bit surprised at the substitution too, then it was pointed out he was also on a booking .
At ht I had said that both Cox and Fortune should be subbed around 70 minutes because Rangers hold up play and McGlashans pace would help if we were under the cosh, it seems that was the plan but the injury scuppered it

I thought the draw was probably a fair result in the end, but we really should have taken one of the opportunities to stick a 2nd in earlier on which would have made it easier to deal with their onslaught towards the end. How we didn't get the ball in the net again was a bit of a mystery, seemed the goal in front of the South led a bit of a charmed life.

Gutted about McLaughlin's injury, he's such a key player, neat, tidy and such skill down the wing and crossing the ball. McGlashan was the obvious sub at that time, even if it wasn't what was intended.

A huge well done to Ted Smith for a really good performance, desperately unlucky not to keep a clean sheet as he pulled off some great saves and dealt with the added pressure from the Charlton fans too. A well deserved MOTM from the sponsors and one I agreed with too.

There are people around us who moan about Lenny sometimes, but I don't think they can be watching everything he does in the game. We do miss those forward runs but he's covering so much defensively and some of his play makes you really worry whether we'll keep him much longer. Thought he had a good game today.

Smith - 9, MOTM, a high mark but I felt he deserved it. A variety of clearances, never looked in the least bit ruffled.
Demetriou - 6.5, not even on the same page as Tuesday.
Thompson - 8, dealt with the Charlton forwards well in the earlier part of the game.
Ferdinand - 8.5, quality performance
Timlin - 8, some of those tackles look truly frightening at times! Such a terrier, nothing is a lost cause where he's concerned!
Atkinson - 7, not as good as Tuesday but still did ok
Leonard - 8, the lynchpin of the side, absolutely vital to the team
Wordsworth - 7.5, some good deliveries though please can we drop the short corners, they never work for us. One glorious shot that would have been a cracker if it had gone in
McLaughlin - 7.5, outjumped his taller opponent several times to win headers and played the ball about well
Fortune - 7.5, not quite as good a performance as Tuesday but still showed some skill and good intent. I was surprised he wasn't subbed for Ranger as I'd have thought Cox and Ranger would be 1st choice, but I guess that's because Cox had had a knock and we have a game Monday.
Cox - 8, guy is class.

Subs:
Ranger for Fortune - 7.5, not on for that long but showed what he's about. First time we've heard opposition supporters baiting him in quite that way?
McGlashan for McLaughlin - not really on long enough to mark.

An enjoyable game, made all the better by getting kisses from not one but two footballers pitchside! :blush: :winking:

Was gonna do my ratings, but I match exactly these (you can pay me later OBL !! :winking:)

In previous seasons, I think he was trying to get League 1-2 players to play in a certain way, but they just weren't up to it. He's kept the lads that can play to that standard Leonard, Timlin, Atkinson etc and added some good experienced pros. Cox, Fortune, Anton all look real class. Albeit looking terribly unfit, I thought Anton looked a class above with his reading of the game.

Thought the ref was OK. If I was being over critical..I thought a yellow for their handball was harsh, McLaughlin over-exagerated the free kick that led to our goal, and their No. 21 could have had a 2nd yellow, but to fair, many refs would have run with his decisions.

TBV were excellent. My only criticism is that when we conceded, they spent too much time digging at the opposition supporters rather than starting up a new chant to pick up our players. Saying that, the TBV do a great job and I dread to think how flat the atmosphere would be in the Hall if it wasn't for them. We had a packed house and I hardly heard any chants from other areas of the ground (unless it's the acoustics).

Well done PB and the lads. We weren't at our very best, but it was another very entertaining game and I hope all those supporters return next week against the Blades. COYB

As already stated, a fair result, great attendance, TBV in good voice, even the East were foot-stomping and occasional chanting...whatever next :omg:

Ted Smith, Timlin, Leonard and Cox stood out for me. If "and I know we didn't", had got a second goal it would've been game over, think our concerns may have fed out to the players...several opportunities were too close and it was no surprise when the equaliser went in.

Back