• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-1 Charlton Athletic

I don't t remember the keeper getting a hand to the one I'm talking about. It's the one a minute or 2 before Fortunes headed miss on about 88 mins
It went out for a corner so the keeper must have got a touch on it, that or it took a deflection. Still wasn't a great finish though, anywhere but straight at the keeper and it would've been a goal.

It went out for a corner so the keeper must have got a touch on it, that or it took a deflection. Still wasn't a great finish though, anywhere but straight at the keeper and it would've been a goal.

Yes he maybe should have scored but it was on his left foot and not straight at the keeper because it was the best save of the match. It was going in the roof of the net and the touch was so fine that some of you didn't even see it.

The resulting corner lead to the Fortune header which was the easier chance. They went down the other end and scored.

Yes he maybe should have scored but it was on his left foot and not straight at the keeper because it was the best save of the match. It was going in the roof of the net and the touch was so fine that some of you didn't even see it.

The resulting corner lead to the Fortune header which was the easier chance. they went down the other end and scored.

Riggers you see and know everything :hilarious:

I am not one for giving individual scores so here goes.

Fair Result. Gutting to throw it away at the end but couldn't argue.

Ted Smith did nothing wrong and looked assured. One double handed punch when I thought he should have caught it from a corner but that is as picky as I can be. Great Saves and looked solid. Does not look out of place now. Two very good games behind him.

Anton Ferdinand. What a player at this level. Rarely troubled and brings the best out of Thompson.

Ryan Leonard. A long time admirer of his defensive cover and athleticism. Only his passing let him down today (same goes for most of the team !)

Fortune was not at his best today

Cox made the goal out of nothing and unlucky not to have another

Tiger Timlin. Not a regular left back and caught out of position every now and then. My god does he know how to challenge and is doing an excellent job in the left back position.

TBV As a regular in the East Stand I have been known to criticize TBV on the odd occasion but the last two games I have watched from the West Stand and have to say they have been superb. It may be the acoustics that mean I cannot hear them in the East or the two games I have been in the West that we have been doing well. All I know is they were magnificent again today and I am happy to have been proved wrong.

Late Comers. For the love of god get to the ground in time so that when you phaff around trying to find your seat, the rest of us aren't getting ****ed off at you getting in our way.

I thought the draw was probably a fair result in the end, but we really should have taken one of the opportunities to stick a 2nd in earlier on which would have made it easier to deal with their onslaught towards the end. How we didn't get the ball in the net again was a bit of a mystery, seemed the goal in front of the South led a bit of a charmed life.

Gutted about McLaughlin's injury, he's such a key player, neat, tidy and such skill down the wing and crossing the ball. McGlashan was the obvious sub at that time, even if it wasn't what was intended.

A huge well done to Ted Smith for a really good performance, desperately unlucky not to keep a clean sheet as he pulled off some great saves and dealt with the added pressure from the Charlton fans too. A well deserved MOTM from the sponsors and one I agreed with too.

There are people around us who moan about Lenny sometimes, but I don't think they can be watching everything he does in the game. We do miss those forward runs but he's covering so much defensively and some of his play makes you really worry whether we'll keep him much longer. Thought he had a good game today.

Smith - 9, MOTM, a high mark but I felt he deserved it. A variety of clearances, never looked in the least bit ruffled.
Demetriou - 6.5, not even on the same page as Tuesday.
Thompson - 8, dealt with the Charlton forwards well in the earlier part of the game.
Ferdinand - 8.5, quality performance
Timlin - 8, some of those tackles look truly frightening at times! Such a terrier, nothing is a lost cause where he's concerned!
Atkinson - 7, not as good as Tuesday but still did ok
Leonard - 8, the lynchpin of the side, absolutely vital to the team
Wordsworth - 7.5, some good deliveries though please can we drop the short corners, they never work for us. One glorious shot that would have been a cracker if it had gone in
McLaughlin - 7.5, outjumped his taller opponent several times to win headers and played the ball about well
Fortune - 7.5, not quite as good a performance as Tuesday but still showed some skill and good intent. I was surprised he wasn't subbed for Ranger as I'd have thought Cox and Ranger would be 1st choice, but I guess that's because Cox had had a knock and we have a game Monday.
Cox - 8, guy is class.

Subs:
Ranger for Fortune - 7.5, not on for that long but showed what he's about. First time we've heard opposition supporters baiting him in quite that way?
McGlashan for McLaughlin - not really on long enough to mark.

An enjoyable game, made all the better by getting kisses from not one but two footballers pitchside! :blush: :winking:

Yep, one criticism today was that we didn't really wrap our foot around those opportunities. There were another couple, as well.

Whereas their fella made damn sure that was going in the back of the net.

Though it would be harsh to be overly critical, as the all-round display featured many of the good things we are about at the moment, except some wayward passing at times.

Fair result both sides having good chances .Charlton certainly harried us and were very physical which didn't allow us to settle.On the positive another good display from Ted ,Thommo and Anton in defense and Cox up front .January will certainly be the answer to whether we are good enough to compete at the top

I really enjoyed that, nice 'feel' to the place. Thought a draw was a fair result, both keepers had stormers, it could easily have finished 3-3. Gut feeling that had you stuck away one of tbe chances at 1-0, you'd have won comfortably. I wasn't expecting anything so I'm pleased. The lad who went off injured at end pulled out the challenge, looked like he migh have tore something? Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season, your midfield is class. Cox is a right player. The Valley won't be that full for the return fixture.

Good game and a good point. They had their chances and Smith made some good saves they all rattled the bar a few times. However we missed a few good chances so overall 1-1 fair result. I know he has made some quality saves and it will come with experience but Ted does not give me much confidence when a ball is being pumped into the air, seems to prefer to punch away and avoid taking a catch above his head.

Hopefully the crowds will say high, the players have given two games of entertainment so lets hope people come back in the New Year rather than just attendting the big games and holiday games.

I really enjoyed that, nice 'feel' to the place. Thought a draw was a fair result, both keepers had stormers, it could easily have finished 3-3. Gut feeling that had you stuck away one of tbe chances at 1-0, you'd have won comfortably. I wasn't expecting anything so I'm pleased. The lad who went off injured at end pulled out the challenge, looked like he migh have tore something? Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season, your midfield is class. Cox is a right player. The Valley won't be that full for the return fixture.

Your substitutes were a handful.

Any reason why they didn't start the game?

Cheers mate and I have to say you were one of the better sides that have visited the Hall this season and deserved the draw. Good luck for the rest of the season, except the return fixture of course :smile:

McG was about to come on for Fortune when McL was injured. For a split second he put his coat back on. So rather than warm somebody else up, the obvious choice was to bring McG on.
The sub made sense for the reasons you state, but I was surprised that brown didn' t then bring on oneil for fortune and obviously swap over oneil and mcG

their keeper's save from Wordsworth's shot in the first half was unbelievable. He gets incredible power into his shots. It was going right in the corner albeit it a nice height and the keeper flung himself and just got a hand to it. Very obvious in the west when you were right behind the shot but others in the ground might not have seen what a great shot and save they were.

I thought the draw was probably a fair result in the end, but we really should have taken one of the opportunities to stick a 2nd in earlier on which would have made it easier to deal with their onslaught towards the end. How we didn't get the ball in the net again was a bit of a mystery, seemed the goal in front of the South led a bit of a charmed life.

Gutted about McLaughlin's injury, he's such a key player, neat, tidy and such skill down the wing and crossing the ball. McGlashan was the obvious sub at that time, even if it wasn't what was intended.

A huge well done to Ted Smith for a really good performance, desperately unlucky not to keep a clean sheet as he pulled off some great saves and dealt with the added pressure from the Charlton fans too. A well deserved MOTM from the sponsors and one I agreed with too.

There are people around us who moan about Lenny sometimes, but I don't think they can be watching everything he does in the game. We do miss those forward runs but he's covering so much defensively and some of his play makes you really worry whether we'll keep him much longer. Thought he had a good game today.

Smith - 9, MOTM, a high mark but I felt he deserved it. A variety of clearances, never looked in the least bit ruffled.
Demetriou - 6.5, not even on the same page as Tuesday.
Thompson - 8, dealt with the Charlton forwards well in the earlier part of the game.
Ferdinand - 8.5, quality performance
Timlin - 8, some of those tackles look truly frightening at times! Such a terrier, nothing is a lost cause where he's concerned!
Atkinson - 7, not as good as Tuesday but still did ok
Leonard - 8, the lynchpin of the side, absolutely vital to the team
Wordsworth - 7.5, some good deliveries though please can we drop the short corners, they never work for us. One glorious shot that would have been a cracker if it had gone in
McLaughlin - 7.5, outjumped his taller opponent several times to win headers and played the ball about well
Fortune - 7.5, not quite as good a performance as Tuesday but still showed some skill and good intent. I was surprised he wasn't subbed for Ranger as I'd have thought Cox and Ranger would be 1st choice, but I guess that's because Cox had had a knock and we have a game Monday.
Cox - 8, guy is class.

Subs:
Ranger for Fortune - 7.5, not on for that long but showed what he's about. First time we've heard opposition supporters baiting him in quite that way?
McGlashan for McLaughlin - not really on long enough to mark.

An enjoyable game, made all the better by getting kisses from not one but two footballers pitchside! :blush: :winking:
Without Leonard we'd concede so many more goals. He's a real unsung hero. I hope he stays - he's getting towards club legend (in a couple more years) imo.

Glad you enjoyed the day. I don't go on your forum but have read some of the posts that have been quoted on here. Like most fans you lot seem to be far to harsh on the team. You can pass this on to your lot but I thought Charlton were much better than a most of sides I've seen lately.

You were well organised and didn't give us our chances, we had to earn them. With some of your missing players back from injury don't see why you couldn't make the play-offs. I recon the valley will be full, with you going for a top 6 and us a top 2:winking:

Last edited:

Cheers mate. All the best for the rest of the season. A play off final of southend v charlton sounds good.

Looking forward to visiting the valley for the first time since Allen Pardew broke my heart in 1994 with a last gasp winner.

Back