• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017 General Election thread

Sorry, you'll have to help me along to understand your point here. Are you suggesting that creation of food banks is a good thing? Or a bad thing? An indicator of poverty? Perhaps, but with very few food banks being available during the Labour government, I'm not sure you can necessarily use food bank statistics now because there is support in place versus before when there was very few:

F1.large.jpg

So what was the Labour approach to people coming up to the Job Centre unable to find work and hungry? Was there a Labour alternative? I recall being on Jobseekers back in 2002(ish) and I got a mere pittance from the Labour government, so it certainly wasn't anything for them to be shouting from the rooftops about.

Right or wrong, you can at least concede that there is a correlation between the rise of food banks with (a) the increase of locations, and (b) the change of policy with the Job Centre?

I suppose we should all be grateful for the closing down of the workhouses in 1930.Very enlightened piece of legislation that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workhouse

Last edited:
Sorry, you'll have to help me along to understand your point here. Are you suggesting that creation of food banks is a good thing? Or a bad thing? An indicator of poverty? Perhaps, but with very few food banks being available during the Labour government, I'm not sure you can necessarily use food bank statistics now because there is support in place versus before when there was very few:

F1.large.jpg

My point was that your argument justifying the rise from 2010 to 2016 (which I copied and pasted) applied equally to the rise from 2005 to 2010 .

Off track slightly, but food banks wouldn't be required at all if supermarkets didn't immediately dump edible food (and sometimes ensure it becomes inedible) the moment it goes over the "best before date".

I actually whole heartedly agree with this. The way in which the supermarkets dispose of what is in effect perfectly edible food is absolutely disgraceful. Corporate power at it's social ugliest.

I actually whole heartedly agree with this. The way in which the supermarkets dispose of what is in effect perfectly edible food is absolutely disgraceful. Corporate power at it's social ugliest.

Quite amazed if anyone would disagree!

Theresa surfaced in Wales - said 'strong and stable leadership' a few times, announced no new policy, made no reference to today's new poverty figures, just kept asking for a new mandate.

At least she is off the mark, looking forward to her mapping out the changes for the 2017 manifesto as the one the Tories were voted in with in 2015 was not to her liking it seems.

NHS staffing issues, Labour policy announced today: Reinstate nurses bursary and end pay freeze.

These are good things no doubt, but sadly Corbyn has alienated a lot of Labour voters over Trident and his stance on Brexit. I know a fair few Labour voters who want nothing to do with him in regards to his wishy washy performance over Brexit - I can see the Lib Dems mopping up their votes.

It saddens me to say that his election will be a walkover for May and we'll have to suffer the hardest of Brexits.

These are good things no doubt, but sadly Corbyn has alienated a lot of Labour voters over Trident and his stance on Brexit. I know a fair few Labour voters who want nothing to do with him in regards to his wishy washy performance over Brexit - I can see the Lib Dems mopping up their votes.

It saddens me to say that his election will be a walkover for May
and we'll have to suffer the hardest of Brexits.

Interested to hear on Newsnight last night that most of what Corbyn wants will be in Labour's manifesto -apart from a firm commitment to Trident.On the basis that Labour's manifesto team want Corbyn to "own" Labour's result on June 8th,apparently. :sad:

Interested to hear on Newsnight last night that most of what Corbyn wants will be in Labour's manifesto -apart from a firm commitment to Trident.On the basis that Labour's manifesto team want Corbyn to "own" Labour's result on June 8th,apparently. :sad:

Cue him blaming the party's stance on Trident for his complete and utter failure.

It saddens me to say that his election will be a walkover for May and we'll have to suffer the hardest of Brexits.
Part 1 of 1 or maybe more...

Has he alienated people over Trident? Do people have strong opinions on it? It is a stick for someone like Fallon to say not having Trident 'endangers' our national security but then with the next breath he says that he would hit the button first rather than in retaliation. And then Fallon sounds like an end of the world warmonger.

I may be wrong but I think the public are pro-Trident based on the theory that it protects us, but when reminded of the costs involved and what that could be spent on instead to improve quality of life then the pro-Trident stance becomes a bit less convincing.

Part 2

His stance on Brexit is basically that we (Remain) lost. Labour never wanted a referendum because the result could be terrible for the U.K., Cameron was prepared to take that risk and he ****ed up. It was an awfully executed version of democracy but it gave a result and the LibDems are the only party with so little to lose that they can try to ignore that result.

So with Labour you leave the EU as per the result, but their priorities are to protect the workers rights and human rights that are part of EU law, to prioritise access to the single market, to remain part of various scientific, educational and security based agreements. They would also on day 1 of being in government guarantee the right to remain of EU nationals that are settled here. That works in terms of companies not losing staff at a time not of their choosing, skills not suddenly leaving the country, the shear humane aspect of not splitting friends and families and attempting to remove people by force, and the fact that you can negotiate deals with the EU with a start point that is reasonable and measured rather than combative and threatening.

In contrast the Tories have indicated that 'no deal' is an option and have admitted that they have undertaken no research on what that outcome would mean, and May has made vague threats about the UK becoming a tax haven.

Personally I am inclined to prefer the version that Corbyn and Starmer are offering. Unless I have missed something the Tories version seems to be lacking in any message other than a demand that we back them with a free hand to do who knows what.

Part 2

His stance on Brexit is basically that we (Remain) lost. Labour never wanted a referendum because the result could be terrible for the U.K., Cameron was prepared to take that risk and he ****ed up. It was an awfully executed version of democracy but it gave a result and the LibDems are the only party with so little to lose that they can try to ignore that result.

So with Labour you leave the EU as per the result, but their priorities are to protect the workers rights and human rights that are part of EU law, to prioritise access to the single market, to remain part of various scientific, educational and security based agreements. They would also on day 1 of being in government guarantee the right to remain of EU nationals that are settled here. That works in terms of companies not losing staff at a time not of their choosing, skills not suddenly leaving the country, the shear humane aspect of not splitting friends and families and attempting to remove people by force, and the fact that you can negotiate deals with the EU with a start point that is reasonable and measured rather than combative and threatening.

In contrast the Tories have indicated that 'no deal' is an option and have admitted that they have undertaken no research on what that outcome would mean, and May has made vague threats about the UK becoming a tax haven.

Personally I am inclined to prefer the version that Corbyn and Starmer are offering. Unless I have missed something the Tories version seems to be lacking in any message other than a demand that we back them with a free hand to do who knows what.

Can you tell me AAS whether Labours version of brexit would have continued free movement?....would we still be part of the customs union?...I note that the European court would still have primacy under Labour.

I was out in Basildon yesterday knocking on doors, it will remain Tory but one must allways believe.

The general feeling I had on the doors I knocked on was, people want to believe in Labour, but JC is putting them off, I asked the question why and they stated because of what they read in the papers, now when I asked which ones they replied Sun, Mail. I explained that they will allways report bad things and they should look at policies on the manifesto on health, schools, wages, the reply oh its too long winded, so after telling them the basics of the Labour belief, they stated to listen.I donot suppose it will change the position, but if only one or two a night change then I feel we have done our job
Funny enough Brexit wasnot a major player, those that told me to **** off and go and live with Syrians/Poles cannot be swayed, but 95 % where more worried about our plight as a country and didnot believe Brexit will change the way
Its trying to tell people look past the leader JC, he is a good man but doesnot relate to the common voter of above 40 + imho, its the policies Labour will introduce that will define the country not the leader, leaders will come and go, but the reason why Labour was formed will allways be there

When I get told by the voters we need someone like Thatcher strong and in command, I remind them about the unemployment figures, the riots on the street, the high interest rates, people losing houses after being told you can buy your homes, the council houses sold and left a gap for those who cannot afford to buy, the hospital closures, the unrest in her government if they didnot agree with her and most say I forgot about that but otherwise she was strong leader.

I then get well what about Blair, and yes he made huge mistakes to wards the end of his leadership, but he brought back the feel good factor to those who had the 80's misery under Thatcherism

Next six weeks will be interesting on the streets of Basildon

UTS

Back