• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017 General Election thread

You are, however, not taking into account the different rules in different countries. For example, in America the standard is 2 weeks paid holiday a year. Any more than that is allowed, but unpaid. In a situation like that I would much rather have more public holidays. I would also rather have the standard 4-5 weeks paid holiday plus fewer public holidays as we currently have.

There's no denying I would like all the paid holiday, and the public holidays, but that's not really the point I'm making. What I am saying is that public holiday numbers are only one part of the story, and you can't compare that in isolation.

I suppose you should also look at sick days and maternity/paternity days. I suspect that (in the whole) we actually compare reasonably well against countries outside of Europe, but probably not well against the rest of Europe.
I wouldn't really want to emulate the US model in most things tbh - their healthcare model for a start

it's calm, he was unrattled and didn't let Marr interrupt and disrupt the way he always does. Compare it to May's recent performances. Oh, has anyone seen Theresa? She has said 'strong leadership' over and over to small groups of party supporters and other than that been in hiding. It's as if the snap election caught her by surprise!

I didn't see him on the Marr show ***. I saw a clip of him outdoors addressing party faithful. Theresa is not enthralling me either by the way. Hence my mention in an earlier post of Indie candidates standing in the two Southend constituencies.

I didn't see him on the Marr show ***. I saw a clip of him outdoors addressing party faithful. Theresa is not enthralling me either by the way. Hence my mention in an earlier post of Indie candidates standing in the two Southend constituencies.
I thought Marr was what you were referring to - it's a worthwhile watch, covers a lot of the new policy announcements. Been a busy few days and seen a lot of action and doesn't tie in with the 'chaos' buzzword that the Tories are putting out there. In comparison all they have come up with so far is the chancellor wanting to create the possibility of tax rises, scaling back on pension guarantees and keep saying 'strong leadership' but not actually showing any. As the only party with any warning on the election they have hardly hit the ground running!

I thought Marr was what you were referring to - it's a worthwhile watch, covers a lot of the new policy announcements. Been a busy few days and seen a lot of action and doesn't tie in with the 'chaos' buzzword that the Tories are putting out there. In comparison all they have come up with so far is the chancellor wanting to create the possibility of tax rises, scaling back on pension guarantees and keep saying 'strong leadership' but not actually showing any. As the only party with any warning on the election they have hardly hit the ground running!

I see this week there has been no change from Labour or its supporters. Operation avoid Brexit at all costs is still in full swing. Best have a go at the nasty Tories, after all that cost you the last election.

I see this week there has been no change from Labour or its supporters. Operation avoid Brexit at all costs is still in full swing. Best have a go at the nasty Tories, after all that cost you the last election.

Once an election campaign starts it's impossible to control the agenda of what is discussed.While Brexit is certainly an important issue,so are others like the economy,education etc.Labour's position is very strong on these "other" issues.

Once an election campaign starts it's impossible to control the agenda of what is discussed.While Brexit is certainly an important issue,so are others like the economy,education etc.Labour's position is very strong on these "other" issues.

The election was called because of Brexit. It will be decided on Brexit. It will be a disaster for Labour because they have no Brexit.

The election was called because of Brexit. It will be decided on Brexit. It will be a disaster for Labour because they have no Brexit.
You say that, but there's a lot of voters out there who don't want the Tory's hard Brexit, and if all of those people don't vote Tory then that will most certainly not be a disaster for Labour.

Brexit will certainly be the backdrop to the election.It will however not be the only issue under discussion.

Labour's policy on Brexit is not to support a so-called "hard" Brexit.Granted that's a bit more difficult to comprehend, compared to the binary positions taken by the Tories and the Lib/Dems.Which will certainly make it a harder sell to the British public.

While it remains to be seen whether or not this election will be a "disaster" for Labour,it's not correct to say that Labour has no Brexit policy.

You say that, but there's a lot of voters out there who don't want the Tory's hard Brexit, and if all of those people don't vote Tory then that will most certainly not be a disaster for Labour.

Very true

Brexit will certainly be the backdrop to the election.It will however not be the only issue under discussion.

Labour's policy on Brexit is not to support a so-called "hard" Brexit.Granted that's a bit more difficult to comprehend, compared to the binary positions taken by the Tories and the Lib/Dems.Which will certainly make it a harder sell to the British public.

While it remains to be seen whether or not this election will be a "disaster" for Labour,it's not correct to say that Labour has no Brexit policy.

Also very true.

The problem is JC won't make many sales because the Brexit shop isn't even open. People are beginning to shop else where.

I speak to people rather than look at polls. In the last week I can think of 3 people all in their 50's who have never voted Tory but are considering doing so. One even said May has grown on him despite a bad start.

The reason is we have had nothing about Brexit from Labour, just the same Tory bashing. Certainly here in Essex Brexit is the decider because it will shape ours and our children's future. Now I know you will dismiss these sort of people but it was that attitude that lost Labour the last election and it was that attitude that lost you the referendum. If you carry on then Labour will be heading for the biggest defeat in the last 100 years. You have 6 weeks and boy is that clock ticking.

BBC are reporting that 3 of the leaders of the 4 largest parties in Westminster (plus the leader of UKIP) are out campaigning today, only one leader isn't being mentioned in their 'on the road' report

Welcome to another episode of 'Bollocks of the Week' I give you, the UKIP Manifesto, or at least the rubbish about headscarves, FGM and anything else that can be aimed at mostly Muslims. Quality stuff Nuttall, even Farage distanced himself from some of this stuff.

Bye bye, forever. Coffin nail, bang bang, finished.

May says she called the election because of Brexit but many believe she called it as the narrow majority could be wiped out with the impending election fraud cases.

Either way she doesn't get to decide what issues the public will weigh up when casting their votes. Leaving is happening but the way it happens will be be very different with a Labour or Tory government.

Your point that Labour are ignoring Brexit is nonsense - in the Marr interview Corbyn stated clearly what his objectives are in the process. What are May's objectives? To leave. And.....?

Today is a good day.

C-MdI2hWAAEVv88.jpg

Very true

Also very true.

The problem is JC won't make many sales because the Brexit shop isn't even open. People are beginning to shop else where.

I speak to people rather than look at polls. In the last week I can think of 3 people all in their 50's who have never voted Tory but are considering doing so. One even said May has grown on him despite a bad start.

The reason is we have had nothing about Brexit from Labour, just the same Tory bashing. Certainly here in Essex Brexit is the decider because it will shape ours and our children's future. Now I know you will dismiss these sort of people but it was that attitude that lost Labour the last election and it was that attitude that lost you the referendum. If you carry on then Labour will be heading for the biggest defeat in the last 100 years. You have 6 weeks and boy is that clock ticking.

Depends on which people you speak to I suppose.We all live in our own bubble.Certainly,the people I've spoken to about the G/E will still be supporting Labour.

Fortunately,I doubt very much if Brexit will affect my future,or my children's.

(As I've said before) if the Tories can turn this election into one solely on Brexit then they'll probably win with an increased majority.It's Labour's job to make sure that doesn't happen by making sure that other issues get a fair hearing.

Your claim that "Labour will be heading for the biggest defeat in the last 100 years" is ahistorical,to say the least.

A cross-party Parliamentary committee has warned that 3 million children go hungry over school holidays.

The Trussel Trust has revealed that in 2016 it handed out 1.2 million emergency 3 day food parcels.

Theresa May is starting her campaign in Wales today - as one of the poorest parts of Britain hopefully she will have some policy announcements to tackle these issues.

A cross-party Parliamentary committee has warned that 3 million children go hungry over school holidays.

The Trussel Trust has revealed that in 2016 it handed out 1.2 million emergency 3 day food parcels.

Theresa May is starting her campaign in Wales today - as one of the poorest parts of Britain hopefully she will have some policy announcements to tackle these issues.

She already has...Brexit. As the now scrubbed from history campaign to remain leader, Sir Stuart Rose said "Brexit will lead to better wages for ordinary workers, but that is not good for big business."

JC said we should have higher numbers when it comes to Immigration. That would lead to more above inflation rent rises and wages driven down further. No problem if your landlord or on the dole but for the millions low paid former Labour voters that would be a disaster. That's why they won't be voting for him.

Back