• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017 General Election thread

Vote Labour and you get 4 extra days off a year. You right wingers demanded a day off for St. George's day, so here it is. :smile:

Perhaps they (and you) are happy to pay the full cost of Brexit.

Warning the bill won't be cheap or easily paid off.

That's why Mrs May has called an election..... So the country can pick the right people to deal with Europe.

After her landslide victory the message will be clear. Make those lazy ponce's pay for it themselves, which of course Spain has never done. You will have far more than Gibraltar to worry about because the inevitable collapse of the EU and the Euro will be really painful for the likes of Spain.

That's why Mrs May has called an election..... So the country can pick the right people to deal with Europe.

After her landslide victory the message will be clear. Make those lazy ponce's pay for it themselves, which of course Spain has never done. You will have far more than Gibraltar to worry about because the inevitable collapse of the EU and the Euro will be really painful for the likes of Spain.

No.She's called an election because she thinks she can win it with an increased majority and thus shut down opposition in Parliament (including from within her own party).

There won't be a landslide, btw.Even a 6% swing would only give the Tories a 50 seat majority.It's highly unlikely that such a swing to the Tories would be uniform across the country.

Your comments about Spain and "the inevitable collapse of the EU" are,of course,absurd.

Vote Labour and you get 4 extra days off a year. You right wingers demanded a day off for St. George's day, so here it is. :smile:

Have to admit, we were talking about this at work today. I can see the point in extra bank holidays, as we currently have fewer than most of Europe, but I'd question the dates. Three of them within a couple of months, and around Easter could cause some burn out. May be better to use the old quarter days (Mid Summer and Michaelmas) with maybe one for Guy Fawkes?

This is terribly judgemental and probably entirely wrong, but having just watched Corbyn on the news he looked as if couldn't give a monkeys whether he wins the election or not, he's just really enjoying being in charge of what he's got already!!

This is terribly judgemental and probably entirely wrong, but having just watched Corbyn on the news he looked as if couldn't give a monkeys whether he wins the election or not, he's just really enjoying being in charge of what he's got already!!

He's also giving out mixed messages regarding trident. He's saying one thing, and the party are saying another, i.e. that their leader isn't communicating party policy.

Local election news: Jack Monroe looking to stand in Southend East or West (maybe using the libel money won from Katie Hopkins to fund the campaign) and former Tory party chairman Eric Pickles is quitting his Brentwood seat (probably the 3rd highest profile to quit after George Osborne and Alan Johnson)

images

???

He's also giving out mixed messages regarding trident. He's saying one thing, and the party are saying another, i.e. that their leader isn't communicating party policy.

Labour's policy on Trident is quite clear.They support it.Corbyn's views on nuclear disarmament are also well known.

This matter should be cleared up when Labour's 2017 manifesto is released,some time next week.

Labour's policy on Trident is quite clear.They support it.Corbyn's views on nuclear disarmament are also well known.

This matter should be cleared up when Labour's 2017 manifesto is released,some time next week.

Should be, but he isn't towing the party line at the moment. Or at least he wasn't yesterday.

it's calm, he was unrattled and didn't let Marr interrupt and disrupt the way he always does. Compare it to May's recent performances. Oh, has anyone seen Theresa? She has said 'strong leadership' over and over to small groups of party supporters and other than that been in hiding. It's as if the snap election caught her by surprise!

Have to admit, we were talking about this at work today. I can see the point in extra bank holidays, as we currently have fewer than most of Europe, but I'd question the dates. Three of them within a couple of months, and around Easter could cause some burn out. May be better to use the old quarter days (Mid Summer and Michaelmas) with maybe one for Guy Fawkes?
it would mean bank holidays a bit clustered around March/April but the idea is that 1) we deserve extra holidays like the rest of Europe / G20 2) to give us a chance to celebrate the UK

it would mean bank holidays a bit clustered around March/April but the idea is that 1) we deserve extra holidays like the rest of Europe / G20 2) to give us a chance to celebrate the UK

Retail, emergency services, refineries, power stations, public transport, NHS still work, footballers even!

You are, however, not taking into account the different rules in different countries. For example, in America the standard is 2 weeks paid holiday a year. Any more than that is allowed, but unpaid. In a situation like that I would much rather have more public holidays. I would also rather have the standard 4-5 weeks paid holiday plus fewer public holidays as we currently have.

There's no denying I would like all the paid holiday, and the public holidays, but that's not really the point I'm making. What I am saying is that public holiday numbers are only one part of the story, and you can't compare that in isolation.

I suppose you should also look at sick days and maternity/paternity days. I suspect that (in the whole) we actually compare reasonably well against countries outside of Europe, but probably not well against the rest of Europe.

You are, however, not taking into account the different rules in different countries. For example, in America the standard is 2 weeks paid holiday a year. Any more than that is allowed, but unpaid. In a situation like that I would much rather have more public holidays. I would also rather have the standard 4-5 weeks paid holiday plus fewer public holidays as we currently have.

There's no denying I would like all the paid holiday, and the public holidays, but that's not really the point I'm making. What I am saying is that public holiday numbers are only one part of the story, and you can't compare that in isolation.

I suppose you should also look at sick days and maternity/paternity days. I suspect that (in the whole) we actually compare reasonably well against countries outside of Europe, but probably not well against the rest of Europe.

Personally,I prefer the European model towards public holidays etc rather than the American one.

Personally,I prefer the European model towards public holidays etc rather than the American one.

So you want 4-5, or even 6, weeks paid holiday, and as many public holidays as you can handle? I don't think there's many people that would disagree with that. But that isn't my point. My point is that comparing only public holidays doesn't give you a the full picture.

Back