• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wrong thread title, nought wrong with Anton's reaction; I suggest title could be "Bellends at".........
These people are a growing trend at our games, higher the expectation of some success or "glory" and up they sprout.
Sometimes I think I may have enjoyed some things more about a dismal afternoon of 1980s Div4 football away at a northern dump on an open terrace with less than 50 Shrimpers and a luke warm bovril and 2 week old pie.

Wrong thread title, nought wrong with Anton's reaction; I suggest title could be "Bellends at".........
These people are a growing trend at our games, higher the expectation of some success or "glory" and up they sprout.
Sometimes I think I may have enjoyed some things more about a dismal afternoon of 1980s Div4 football away at a northern dump on an open terrace with less than 50 Shrimpers and a luke warm bovril and 2 week old pie.

Not sure about the Bovril, but two week old pies are always a winner with me.

There was a middle age bloke , standing up by the front rail in the second tier giving the Charlton fans the cutting throat action right before a steward couldn't believe nothing was done.
Some fans are just beyond help,but as said in match report the support was brilliant,a few odd idiots spoil it for the majorityUTS

been through all this before, you don't know if it's personal or not, but fair do (I know some don't agree, but some do) he paid money to watch his team away, and vented his point...and as above they lap the good stuff up when they feel like it..

been through all this before, you don't know if it's personal or not, but fair do (I know some don't agree, but some do) he paid money to watch his team away, and vented his point...and as above they lap the good stuff up when they feel like it..

Sorry but making the sign of throat cutting to a person on the other side of the stadium, is that the actions of a normal person, if so the world has gone mad, and if this person was with a young kid, heaven help us

My son has been coming with me for 23 years since the age of six and I would be mortified if he thought this is normal at football, perhaps I live in a different age, but being a dick isnot one of them when following Southend, god knows what this person would have been like following the Colin Morris ,Bobby Moore,Dick Bate era

UTS

I don't know about the hand across the throats, it does not always mean I want to kill you, I've seen players do it to the bench before, the sign can mean the end, can't go on....not always death or killing someone.

On here there was a lot of people saying it was The End for him, legs have gone, finished...maybe it was this.

Surely even a half wit would know that a throat slitting gesture has no place anywhere near a football stadium? Has the world deteriorated to the extent that some people think that this type of gesture is acceptable? I feel very depressed at the thought.

Sorry but making the sign of throat cutting to a person on the other side of the stadium, is that the actions of a normal person, if so the world has gone mad, and if this person was with a young kid, heaven help us

My son has been coming with me for 23 years since the age of six and I would be mortified if he thought this is normal at football, perhaps I live in a different age, but being a dick isnot one of them when following Southend, god knows what this person would have been like following the Colin Morris ,Bobby Moore,Dick Bate era

UTS
It made me smile that he wasnt at his seat seat when we scored. Probably worn out with all the abuse he hurled at our defence in the first half

Bruv spotted that he first clashed with them at the half-time whistle....

It might be the biggest ever budget for a Southend manager. But I would think it is still only the 10th to 15th biggest budget in League 1 this season. I think we had around the 12th biggest budget last season.

So, on that, should we be very happy to finish between 10th and 15th or do we consider not just the size of the budget but how it is spent? This is where a good manager really shows his worth. It is not just about paying transfer fees (barely relevant to Blues) or the players wages and agent costs. It is about getting a group of players together that can gel and make the unit perform better than any individuals ability. It is very rare that any one, two or even three standout players can consistently carry a team and bring about success. They might be the grease that make the other cogs turn better but remove the smallest cog from any clock and it doesn't run anymore. They are all important.

Equally it is a poor show when one, two or thee standout players are missing from the side and the rest of the unit barely functions alongside their replacement parts. There in lies our problem. Quality over quantity is fine if the small squad is capable at the given level. Ours is not.

So, on that, should we be very happy to finish between 10th and 15th or do we consider not just the size of the budget but how it is spent? This is where a good manager really shows his worth. It is not just about paying transfer fees (barely relevant to Blues) or the players wages and agent costs. It is about getting a group of players together that can gel and make the unit perform better than any individuals ability. It is very rare that any one, two or even three standout players can consistently carry a team and bring about success. They might be the grease that make the other cogs turn better but remove the smallest cog from any clock and it doesn't run anymore. They are all important.

Equally it is a poor show when one, two or thee standout players are missing from the side and the rest of the unit barely functions alongside their replacement parts. There in lies our problem. Quality over quantity is fine if the small squad is capable at the given level. Ours is not.

Take Kante, Vardy and Schmeicel out of Leicesters's title winning side and I suspect they'd have finished some way down the League. And I suspect there would be plenty of other examples of this too. We're not alone.

Going back to the abuse handed out to players... haven't heard the old fashioned slow hand clap as a sign of displeasure at a football ground for years ? It was quite an effective way of shaming a team into pulling a collective finger out. More effective I think than a torrent of abuse and flurry of hand gestures to any player wandering within earshot.

What was that about at full time he came over clapping the fans then all of a sudden started raging at a certain section as if someone in other words said do one mate, anyone else see this?

Was it "Abuse" or was it a few opinions and home truth's, let's face it Anton has been awful this season and a weak link in our defence. As sad as personal issues are, they shouldn't legislate for a lack of pace, positioning and seemingly lack of fitness.

Players are just as if not more precious than 'fans' and Mr Ferdinand likes to swan about lapping up plaudits when things go well, in turn he should then brunt criticism when things are as dire as they currently are.

That said, it should always only be criticism and not "Abuse", especially when directed towards our own players and staff

Without hearing what was said, I think it is hard to pass judgement on the fans or Anton.

Going back to the abuse handed out to players... haven't heard the old fashioned slow hand clap as a sign of displeasure at a football ground for years ? It was quite an effective way of shaming a team into pulling a collective finger out. More effective I think than a torrent of abuse and flurry of hand gestures to any player wandering within earshot.

Not sure the Icelandic fans would agree with you :smile:

Back