• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best restaurants in the area

Inspired by the recent Chinese vs Indian thread, I'd like opinions on your favourite restaurants in the area.

I'm quite a fan of the Pescador in Leigh-on-Sea (London Road) - unfussy decor but excellent food. Found it by chance last season when Mrs Bank-Hank and I took the parents out for a meal one Saturday evening at the end of our League Two promotion season.

Spying a Bentley outside the restaurant, "Is that Ron Martin's car?" says I.

As the great man emerges before entering the restaurant, I lock the anti-lock brakes, nearly cause a collision behind me, scare three old ladies, swerve off of the road into the parking space outside and drag the family in. Been several times since.

Any recommendations brethren?

wow.gif

My taste buds on fire thinking about a nice veggie Thali with the missus...what's Mumtaz like in Benfleet i've heard that's quite good and also the Indian up Bread n cheese hill if anyone can reccomend ?

In Leigh; Irma's (pizza), Jasmine Garden (Chinese), Jasmine Thai (er, Thai), Manoly's (Thai), Mughal Dynasty (Indian) and Pulse (vegetarian) are my favourites.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ July 19 2006,09:53)]My taste buds on fire thinking about a nice veggie Thali with the missus...what's Mumtaz like in Benfleet i've heard that's quite good and also the Indian up Bread n cheese hill if anyone can reccomend ?
The Mumtaz is ok, the best Indian in Benfleet/Thundersley are IMO is the Tandoori Parlour in Thundersley. Going to try the Shapla on Canvey tonight as an early birthday feed.

Can also highly recommend the Thai restaraunt at Tarpots (sorry can't remember the name). Alvarros in St Helens Road, Westcliff, La Romantica in Rayleigh, there is also a brilliant Chinese on Leigh Broadway - Jasmine Garden?

And if you really want to push the boat ouy try the Labworth on Canvey.

Flying Pasta on Shorefield Rd

Paris on London Rd near Chalkwell Pk

Spaghetti Junction as above

La Quinta on Vic House corner roundabout in Hadleigh

Simply Blues London Rd Leigh

wink.gif

Favourite Restaurants in the area include:
The Glasshouse - Alexandra Street
Fleur de la Provence - Alexandra Street
Champagne (Chinese)- London Road, Westcliff
The Polash (Indian) - West Road, Shoebury
Masoom (Indian) - The Broadway, Thorpe Bay

Anyone wanting an Indian in Leigh should PM GNH and ask about his bout of food poisoning. He suffered from a rare strain of Mangle Dysentry.

Read into that what you will !

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ July 19 2006,10:03)]Flying Pasta on Shorefield Rd

Simply Blues London Rd Leigh
yup, seconded. Never had a bad meal there, and you get loads.

Simply Blues - limited menu but good value and food if you want the whole burgers / chicken / ribs thang

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ July 19 2006,10:03)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ July 19 2006,09:53)]My taste buds on fire thinking about a nice veggie Thali with the missus...what's Mumtaz like in Benfleet i've heard that's quite good and also the Indian up Bread n cheese hill if anyone can reccomend ?
The Mumtaz is ok, the best Indian in Benfleet/Thundersley are IMO is the Tandoori Parlour in Thundersley. Going to try the Shapla on Canvey tonight as an early birthday feed.

Can also highly recommend the Thai restaraunt at Tarpots (sorry can't remember the name). Alvarros in St Helens Road, Westcliff, La Romantica in Rayleigh, there is also a brilliant Chinese on Leigh Broadway - Jasmine Garden?

And if you really want to push the boat ouy try the Labworth on Canvey.
I tend to avoid Indian restaurants on Friday and Saturday nights because the food never seems to be as good and they are full of drunks.

The Mumtaz in Benfleet is pretty good in the week and the vegetable Thali is excellent.

I can also vouch for the Anika on Canvey Island. It doesn't have a licence so you have to take your own booze which means that the bill is a lot smaller. Definitely avoid this one at the weekend because it gets a bit rowdy. It is not unusual to see a table of four turn up with 80 fags, a crate of lager, two wine boxes and a bottle of Vodka!

I have heard good things about the Masala hut on Hamlet Court road but have never paid them a visit. is it worth a go?

Is The Gulshan still going on Sutton Road? Used to be the best Indian in Southend in my opinion. Other than that I would personally recommened avoiding The Boatyard and have a horror story about that place that I'm sure legally I can't submit here.

Has anyone suggested The Pearl Dragon in Southend? Surely one of the best restaurants in Essex?

If you are on a budget or prefer the whole pub grub thing these would be my choice of venues...

Anne Boleyn (or any Hungryhorse really) cheap and masses of food

Shorehouse - decent menu and pretty tasty

**** Inn - Love the food and a cosy little place to take the missus, my fave.

Plough & Sail - very popular

Ferry Boat Inn - as above

The Rose - good food

wink.gif

Other places I eat at regularly/occasionally.

Irmas in Leigh - Good food but a little overpriced.

Manolys in Leigh - Ditto but they do a lunchtime menu for £6 a go which isn't bad.

Labworth, Canvey Island. Good food but expensive. 25% off if you eat early and are out by 8:30.

Mayflower chip shop, Old Leigh (takeaway) - I think the chips are cooked in beef dripping - very tasty.

Places I have heard good things about.............

Wings, York Road, Southend.

Pearl Dragon, Southend.

Places I have eaten at and would never darken their doors again in a million years...........

The Boatyard, Leigh - Awful food and expensive. Pity because it such a good location.

Picollos, Westcliff - Awful.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ July 19 2006,10:03)]La Quinta on Vic House corner roundabout in Hadleigh
Seconded. It's not cheap, but I've taken my Mum there for her birthday the last couple of years and it has been worth every penny. Excellent presentation, good service, pleasant ambience but most important of all: Very. Good. Grub.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ July 19 2006,10:34)]Has anyone been to the Popular Restaurant in Leigh?
Been meaning to give the place a try, heard good things and new a waitress there once......moving on...

Anyone tried the Grove in Leigh at the top of Belton Way, looks to have a nice location with great views over the estuary...

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ July 19 2006,10:38)]Anyone tried the Grove in Leigh at the top of Belton Way, looks to have a nice location with great views over the estuary...

rock.gif
The Grove is very nice - more of a lunch venue really but I liked it a lot. As you say, great location as well particularly if you sit outside.

Back