• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Was this the worst performance by a referee ever seen at the Hall

CyrilSneer

Winger
I will not be alone in condemning referee G. Wards performance today. Some of his decisions were baffling, the rest really poor decisions.

The one really awful decision concerned goalkeeper Steve Phillips.
He charged out of his area and missed the ball, then completely stranded, delibrately handballed Freedmans goalbound effort.
I maybe wrong, but surely this is an instant red card, even with defenders behind the ball

Their were far too many other glaring errors made by this inept official.
I felt we won this game, despite the referee.

this guy was bound to be terrible from the moment i saw him pull into the car park with the reg REF 1.

thats proves his arrogence which was backed up by the game, from start to finish he made it about himself.

should have been a red. simple as. and also when christophe / freedman held the ball in the corner he gave free-kicks both times. clearly doesn't know the rules.

not sure what clarkes goal was disallowed for but didn't have the best view so can't really comment on that.

I t was confirmed to me that he new he had cocked up when he did not allow Bristol to take the corner at full time. WHen was the last time you saw a ref blow up for full time in a situation like that! My theory is that he saw the goalie up for the corner and did not want to see the headlines next day that the Goalie he should have sent off scored the equaliser!!

Anothe stupid booking for McCormack today though!

Worst I've seen, certainly. Deliberate handball (preventing a goal?) yellow card, goal disallowed, and lots of other poor decisions today - including free kicks for no reason?

Technically deliberate handball is a yellow card offence. As soon as an offence that denies an obvious goal scoring oppertunity it becomes a red card offence. I believe that had the referee thought the ball was going in he would have sent the keeper off. FWIW i don't think dougies shot was goalbound but i may be wrong. After the game, the assessor said that he had only shown a yellow as the ball was not goalbound, and there were 3 Rovers players to only one Southend player. For me the baffling decision was to disallow what appeared a perfectly good goal from the resulting Free Kick.

Just got of the phone to Big Shrimp and he mentioned about the away keeper handling the ball out side the are and getting away with it.............was it really obvious?

Very obvious. There were players covering though. As a ref myself, i'd have shown Yellow.

He hand balled it twice, when he went up for that pathetic attempt of a header and then when Freedman shot. I was stunned at him only getting a yellow.

I think the yellow for the handball has to be one of the most scandalously appalling decisions by a ref at Roots Hall.

Then to disallow the next goal after seemingly pointing to the spot to notify the goal..

At least we wont have this little idiot on tuesday night, as its way past his bedtime !

Very obvious. There were players covering though. As a ref myself, i'd have shown Yellow.

You sound like you know what you are talking about, so i wont disagree. Plus, although the shot was goalbound, their were covering defenders. I just dont get how it can be only a yellow offence. If thems the rules, they should be changed.

It's blatant cheating and is completely out of spirit with the game, but in that instance the referee has to decide if he is denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity. I think there is still a lot of work to be done by us before we score from the position of the handball. Don't get me wrong, Ward was completely inept (which is actually most unlike him) and i can't understand why Clarkes header was disallowed.

Didnt think there was a question about it - deliberate handball by the keeper outside the box is (99.9% of the time) a red card.

How many times do you see keepers slide out and handle by accident or whatever and its always a red.

Stupid decision, only bettered by Clarke's disallowed goal for 'off side', yet he jumps from behind a defender to head home - and 2 free kicks given for what I can only assume for obstruction when shielding the ball in the corner, which is the first (and second!) time I have ever seen that in around 25 years of watching hundreds of matches...

Bizarre and these ref's should be made to come out and explain their decisions as part of the post-match press reporting.

I was in line with the shot & it was goal bound. Not only that there is no way the defenders would have stopped it. Appaling decision!

It has to be the most baffling display by a ref I've seen in a long time. The ex-ref who sits near me was baffled & he was in line too!!

I think the ref should go back to his paper round!

Two points - firstly the referee blows for time the instant time is up except for the completion of a penalty kick) and secondly, the lino' gave a goal kick after their goalie shouted at him! It plainly wasn't a goal kick at all!

If anyone comes on here defending the keeper, they are a ( think of a 4 lettered word beginning with a C ) or are just on a fishing trip!

Kev

If anyone comes on here defending the keeper, they are a ( think of a 4 lettered word beginning with a C ) or are just on a fishing trip!

Kev

One referee has defended the decision, so you have to respect that - but my opinion is he should have walked. I too was behind the line of the shot and it was definitely on target.

I think if there was a lino that side in the half, then we may have got the red.

One referee has defended the decision, so you have to respect that - but my opinion is he should have walked. I too was behind the line of the shot and it was definitely on target.

I think if there was a lino that side in the half, then we may have got the red.

Yep, agree with that

Respect it because one referee has backed up another? ********, there is no way a yellow card can be justified for that (and many other) decision(s)!

Kev

I think it would have to be the former rather than latter!! I presume you mean a woman's front bottom & not a male chicken?!!

:whistling:

Back