• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron Manager

I'm afraid I have some very sad news, Paul Holland passed away overnight this Tuesday.

As those of you who knew him will be aware Paul was for many years a loyal Southend United supporter and was responsible for running the official supporters coaches for much of our time in the old First Division.

Sadly ill health has meant that in recent years Paul was unable to attend matches at Roots Hall but he was still in touch with many of the firm friends he had made through supporting The Shrimpers. He will be greatly missed.

At this time I have no details of when or where the funeral will be held, when I do I will of course let everyone know.

RIP, Paul.

sad.gif

RIP Paul.  My thoughts go out to Nigel, Dave & the rest of his family.

As one who knew Paul reasonably well this news came as a great shock having seen Nigel, his brother, just over a week ago who was saying how well Paul was doing & planning for the future.

Paul in his last years of attending Fortress Roots Hall STOOD in the South Upper, in a seat now appropriately taken by his long time friend Ron Manager.  The regular sight of the throbbing vein in the forehead leading to the inevitable violent explosion of vitriol at either an opposing player or more likely the halfwits in black (green or yellow) was a sight to behold.  Andrew (Ron) has been trying to perfect this Hollandesque technique but I'm happy to say still has some way to go.

Committed as Paul was, I'm sure he upset people as many of us do, but tough that's life & the Hall has been a lesser place without him over the last couple of years as illness prevented his attendance.

Busy as I am, for a change!  I for one will be sneaking out of the office at lunchtime to down a swift pint to Paul's memory, as I hope will anyone else who remembers him.

I was still very much in a state of shock when I originally started this thread this morning, still am I suppose. However I have had a bit of time to think more about Paul and times spent travelling at home and (on one memorable occasion abroad) to see Southend play.

A few things spring to mind, the usual stories that groups of mates who follow their team around will have and recount over a few pints when they get together.

One occasion in particular is flying to see us play Fliorentina in the Anglo-Italian Cup. We flew into Rome on Kenyan Airlines (don't ask) and had to make our way to Florence by train. When we landed at Rome airport it was quite late and there were very few people around, we approached a set of escalators which we needed to go up to get out and they looked turned off. So, we decided to walk up them - most of us taking the right hand one but Paul raced ahead on the left (probably because the airport was non-smoking and he was rushing to get outside for a fag). When those of us on the right hand escalator stepped onto it we triggered a sensor and it began to move. Paul's one stayed still however and he cursed his luck of having to walk up as he sped ahead for his nicotine fix. However when he reached the top he did trigger a sensor - for the down escalator (none of us had understood the signs in Italian that explained how they worked) and it kicked into life and started to send Paul back to where he come from and onto his hands and knees. I'll never forget the comical sight of Mr Holland trying to scramble back to his feet as he faced upwards but travelled downwards on this escalator. Of course afterwards we checked if he was OK but when it actually happened we were too busy wetting ourselves with laughter.

To echo what Hooly has said, my condolonsces go to Paul's parents, his brother Nigel and Nigel's wife Marian and Paul's nephews.

Also echoing what Hooly said (and I'm sure Paul would have a chuckle at the thought of anyone agreeing with Hooly quite so much) Paul was very committed, pasionate and opinionated about SUFC before ill health intervened and not everyone agreed with his views. However I'd hope that even those who didn't always agree with him would concede that since he stopped going to games, Roots Hall (and the surrounding boozers) has been a duller place.

RIP Paul

With following Southend for many years, you get to know the faces at away games, never know him to talk to really but always said hello in the bozzier before away games, when the away coach turn up Paul Holland was always first to get to the Pub , 5 mins b4 everyone else on the coach... which always made me laugh

RIP Paul Holland Southend United FC supporters Legend

RIP Paul, may you continue to support the Shrimpers, in the Immortal Mansions above.

I had the pleasure to know Paul for a number of years, simply through the Blues Away coaches and pre (and post) match beers in the Nelson.

The world is a duller place for his passing.

RIP Paul,

Again I had the pleasure of knowing Paul for many years, and thanks to his tireless efforts in running the away coaches during those heady years in the upper reaches of the football league, i got to enjoy many a game, and more importantly share many, many happy memories before and after the game in several drinking establishments around the country. My condolonsces go to all his family at this time. Paul will be sadly missed

Graham

I'm very sad to read this news.

I knew he was ill and had stopped coming but still a real shock to read that he has passed away.

A truly nice man and some wonderful memories

May he rest in peace

Steve

R.I.P. Paul!

I will always remember him as the chap that organised the coaches to away games. Spoke to him on numerous occasions, and he seemed a nice bloke!

Such sad news.

My condolences go to his family and friends!

RIP Paul.

I used to travel away using his excellent away day excursions and, for a while, sat behind him in the South Upper. His passion for Southend United was almost unparalleled ...

WS

sad.gif

I walked down Cheapside today and remembered the times we would all meet in Paul's favourite watering hole before we would venture on to an away game in London or often just all meet up for a few drinks

Then as others have posted going to the Nelson for pre/after match drinks. Paul, big Chris and Andy had all been in their from opening time, and I would walk up to the bar and Paul would always say do you wont a drink Darren. But most times I declined as Paul and Chris were in the champions league of drinkers and after 5 pints I would be ****ed.
Then I thought about all the people that used to drink in the pub and considerd how things have moved on with the younger ones who used to drink there. Andy's mrs is in the family way, Scott's mrs has just had a baby, my boy is 14 months old now, Neil and Tina are married
and most of the others are all shacked up and trying
so that put a smile back on my face as I thought that in however many years time we all would be standing in a boozer with the kids in the corner and reminiscing these days and telling stories of Paul and what a true mate he was.

So when we all see each other again I think we should raise a glass to Paul and to the new generation of suppoters we are creating.
Best wishes go to all his family and friends. Our thoughts are with you

Darren

My girlfriend often tells me of those glory days that I was not a part of, and Paul Hollands coach trips are always in the stories. She was very emotional when I told her, as she had recently been enquiring why Paul doesn't come Roots Hall anymore. I only remember a bloke at the West Stand years ago leaning over a rail and Lin pointing him out with a big smile saying, That's Paul Holland.

RIP on my behalf, and sincere sadness and praise for the memories on my girlfriends.

sad.gif

Just heard the sad news about Paul. My condolences to his family.

Somebody mentioned about his local work pub The Hole in the Wall in Cheapside and I remember meeting Paul and others in there before a Monday night game at Luton when Paul introduced me to his legendary family vodka's. Strangely enough I remember nothing about the game.

If somebody could post when Paul's funeral is I would appreciate it.

RIP Paul

RIP Paul Holland.

A bit like CS Wickford, didn't know the fella but always used to see him shouting his head off at the games and seemed 100 per cent commited to Southend United FC which will do for me.

What with Bob Evans and Paul dying of late, it would be nice too win something this year for them.

here here Barry

One time in Essex
SOUTHEND UNITED FC

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Dec. 02 2004,13:06)]Paul was very committed, pasionate and opinionated about SUFC before ill health intervened and not everyone agreed with his views. However I'd hope that even those who didn't always agree with him would concede that since he stopped going to games, Roots Hall (and the surrounding boozers) has been a duller place.
What sad news. I had the pleasure of meeting Paul a few times. Very bright man and as sharp as a razor. Always stood to watch Blues (and usually to heap vitriol on the ref and any player who dared be a slacker) even though his seat was in the South Upper (near the centre aisle) No, Roots Hall won't be the same without him. A real personality.
Tragic

I would like to say thanks to everyone who has taken the time to write in and send on there memories about paul. He was a legend of a southend united fan, due to illness he lost interest in football, But always like to see southend do well.

I had the great luck of being in the family of him as his brother nigel is my ungle. Marion, Nigel, Martin, David an steven not forgeting pauls mum and dad will all be very happy to see that people remember him down roots hall and in many pubs during the years. I can be sure they are thankful for the messages that have been written in.

Rob Fuller (Family)

Back