• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Brighton 2-3 Southend United

All I'm saying is that it was agreed generally certainly amongst the people I sat with and travelled with that Moussa had a quiet game, and it's worth pointing out that once Herdy went off, he was no more evident so obviously not just protecting Johnny. "Bernie" Friend got far more in the way of play down the left - and he can use his left foot!

also think Macca is key player at the moment - links midfield to attck and drives on - plenty of engine and tough enough to sort it out -

Yes, I know, he made one great pass - whoopy doo. Macca also made a fantastic pass through in a similar way and more central to O'Donovan which nearly resulted in a goal. By common consent, Moussa had a quiet game yesterday - it happens! And being as people want Herd to play then that's a role he has to accept. Check the corners in the clip on this thread, we just don't do corners to the edge of the box anymore instead just crowding in the middle.

Sorry to say this obl but Moussa was by far the better player thean Macca at Brighton and indeed for most of the season x

I didnt go yesterday, but i dont think Macca has hit top form yet this season. A couple of games i've seen this season have been ripe for him to take control, boss midfield and drive us forward, but unfortunatley he has gone missing.

I've seen 2 games this season both of which the "fans" reckon Macca has had a mare. TBH any team needs a tough experienced midfielder and I thought he had reasonable games but more importantly allowed the youngsters in Moussa and Grant to play. Without Macca's bruising I doubt if they would get the licence. You may not like it but he'd be one of the first on my team sheet and it looks as if Tilly agrees.
Great win yesterday and I cannot understand the negativity on the board. 2 blunders by M'Voto who may well have been carrying an injury apart, this was a good win over a Brighton team unbeaten in 3 and we were worthy winners.
The Wythedean stadium might not be up to much but I passed the new ground on the way to Lewes and was pretty envious. However as most Brighton fans on the way to the train in to town were looking to avoid relegation this season (and with their team rightly so) we might not get to play there for a while.
Tilly and Brush have done a magnificent job this season.

Only seen all the homes this season but Macca has been superb throughout. Dont think anyone that went to the Millwall game could question his ability - Kenny Jackett certainly didnt when her offered £200k for him.

I've seen 2 games this season both of which the "fans" reckon Macca has had a mare. TBH any team needs a tough experienced midfielder and I thought he had reasonable games but more importantly allowed the youngsters in Moussa and Grant to play. Without Macca's bruising I doubt if they would get the licence. You may not like it but he'd be one of the first on my team sheet and it looks as if Tilly agrees.
Great win yesterday and I cannot understand the negativity on the board. 2 blunders by M'Voto who may well have been carrying an injury apart, this was a good win over a Brighton team unbeaten in 3 and we were worthy winners.
The Wythedean stadium might not be up to much but I passed the new ground on the way to Lewes and was pretty envious. However as most Brighton fans on the way to the train in to town were looking to avoid relegation this season (and with their team rightly so) we might not get to play there for a while.

you make some good points but in terms of what macca is in the team for, which when playing with Christophe is to create from the centre of the park, he just isn't consistantly good enough at the moment. It's as if one good game in 5 seems to cement his place and that is just not good enough for someone of his "experience"

The 'Macca debate' may be suspended soon as he could soon be the next beneficiary of our central midfield 'yellow card rotation system.' I hope Sir Steve sees fit to give young 'Asbo' a game at this juncture as he is currently vulnerable to developing a sacral pressure ulcer with all that time sat on the bench...

Great post.

I too cannot understand some of the reasoning behind the negative comments directed at Macca. As an aside, I recently went to the Millwall match with a friend who has both played/worked in football and who had no allegiance one way or another. After the match, I was keen to get his honest opinion on the team and the first thing he said was "if it was not for your number 8 you would have been completely overrun in the middle and they would have cut straight through you".

I agree Macca may not have had the perfect game yesterday, but neither did Grant or Moussa - the fact is if you look hard enough you can pick holes in anybody.

It was a superb all round effort by the team, which due to injuries had to make a number of changes and also had two new faces, Myvoto was obviously injured and out of sorts, lets hope he is back for Saturday.

A great team performance - keep it up!

I wasn't at Brighton (I refuse to go to that 'ground' again), but if McCormack had a shocker then I don't think that's in keeping with the way he's started the season. He's had a decent start, so far.

like i said (sorry) we'd miss macca if he wasnt there, i certainly wasnt slating him, never have done, i just know how well he can play, and saturday he didnt play as well as he can/has in the past, the corners aside, i genuinely think moussa had a better game, we beat a team who have spent a few quid and didnt play nearly as well as i think we can for 90 mins, despite all the draws in reality weve had a damn good start to the season, we need to stamp our authority over the lesser teams with a few wins, and keep near that play off spot, we've been there or therabouts (forgive the cliche) the last few seasons, and I see no reason why we cant be again.

That was my impression, O'Donovan's was a poacher's. As it goes, I think (needless to say) people are being unfair on Macca, both Grant and Moussa had ineffective games, Mac did at least manage a shot on target (as evidenced in the clip on here) and I did witness two of his harshest critics sat next to and behind me both comment "great pass by Macca" on more than one occasion ;)

Mildy - 6, hard to judge really, but felt he ought to have done better with the goals
Franno - 7, looked better in the middle than at RB, some good runs as usual in 1st half but obviously curtailed in 2nd
M'voto - 5, poor game, had a fitness test pre-match, in hindsight, maybe he shouldn't have been played
Barrett - 8, MotM again, Bazza has now had 3 stonking games in a row - long may it continue
Herd - 6.5, looked ok, but could tell he was injured so not surprised when he went off. Probably going to have to wait a long time again now
Grant - 5, poor, got nutmegged and sold some suckers too, also didn't fool the ref with his antics
Jeff - 7.5, ran Barrett close, thought he had a great game, not majorly obvious but was doing everything in an organised and thorough manner
Macca - 7, was being targetted by Brighton, ref was hopeless at spotting the fouls. Did well in the middle with Jeff and linked well with Barney and O'Donovan
Moussa - 6, very quiet and some repetitive corner deliveries, need to vary it a bit
Barney - 7.5, obviously likes this ground, Lee has improved hugely on last year and I think he enjoyed having someone alongside to take some of the pressure off him
O'Donovan - 7.5, very impressed, reminded me of a young Dougie, not afraid to run at goal with the ball in a very Freddy-esque manner

Subs:
Sankofa for M'voto - 7, did well, got forward too
Friend for Herd - 7, yep, he impressed me too (and not just for stripping off!)
Laurent for O'Donovan - 7.5, absolutely love the guy! He had no right to score that goal from that angle, but he always makes the impossible possible - as an impact sub he is top notch!

Ref - late switch, Roger East - 6, kept things flowing and kept his book clear, though how I don't know. Some bad tackles from Brighton, and honestly felt Macca was going in

Ground was crap! We were actually very quiet, but got going in the 2nd half. Enjoyable day though - good company too.

Didn't O'Donovan score from a Moussa corner?

I didn't go to the match, but from the ratings Moussa surely deserves a 7 at least, taking the corner for O'Donovans goal and putting the ball through for Laurents winner.

With the McCormack situation, his role of the team has changed in the time he has been here. When he arrived he was quite young, and came onto the scene with a bang, scoring goals, playing in a midfield with Maher enabled him to roam forward.

However now his one of the more experienced players in the side and as such his responsibility has increased.

I think his role is now less- appreciated/recognised, but he is still in my opinion, one of our key 3 players along with Barrett and Barnard.

I think all the negativity on here towards Macca is only due to the fact that he is keeping Sawyer out of the side.

If Sawyer wasn't here, nothing would of been said.

Sawyer will get his chance with the JPT and Macca on 4 bookings, if he takes it then Macca will be the one sitting on the bench.

I've been a critic of Macca... Whilst I value and acknolwedge the importance of his role within the squad, sometimes I think it's overkill having him as well as two other defensive midfielders in the side. I can't argue with results at the moment, but I think this has a lot to do with the sides we've played and the resurgence of Franck Moussa.

The sides we've played recently have either been dreadful (Orient) or in the frame of mind to chase for a win (Leeds and Brighton at the withdean). There's next to no invention in the centre of the park, with Moussa being the only midfielder capable of unlocking a defence with pass.

I think, when we go into games at home against run of the mill teams, like we are this weekend, teams might find it easy to sit back and defend knowing that, Moussa aside, the other midfielders on the park probably won't threaten much.

I think all the negativity on here towards Macca is only due to the fact that he is keeping Sawyer out of the side.

Sawyer will get his chance with the JPT and Macca on 4 bookings, if he takes it then Macca will be the one sitting on the bench.

This is how I see it, I love macca dont get me wrong, I just think lee sawyer is a better footballer and can not wait for him to re-establish himself in the team, I also believe that macca and sawyer can play together, making sure macca patrols in front of the back four

I don't think its just that , its also OBL's ratings and report that influence people (against him). i.e If Macca had delivered the corner and the pass for Laurent's goal then I would find it hard to believe that they would not be in the match report.

I wasn't there and so can't comment on how well he did/did not play , but an awful lot (not all) of anti Macca postings are always in direct response to an OBL posting IMO.

Passed by the site last month, when I was on my way to Rottingdean and have to admit to similar feelings of envy..........it's also right next door to my old campus. I think the envy is not as much to do with whether it is a better stadium than FF......................more to do with the fact that its construction is well under way.

TBH any team needs a tough experienced midfielder and I thought he had reasonable games but more importantly allowed the youngsters in Moussa and Grant to play. Without Macca's bruising I doubt if they would get the licence. You may not like it but he'd be one of the first on my team sheet and it looks as if Tilly agrees.

Surely Christophe and Grant are at least as tough as McCormack? They are certainly the ones who provide the attacking licence for the more attacking players - like McCormack - to get forward.

Despite his premature balding, McCormack isn't that much more experienced than Christophe and Grant. I think McCormack has made about 150 appearances compared to Grant's 100.

The argument for McCormack has surely got to centre around him offering more going forward than those two, with his surges forward, especially late on in the game. Grant and Christophe are better defensively as they will sit and allow someone like a McCormack (or better still a Sawyer) to make the runs forward.

I've been a critic of Macca... Whilst I value and acknolwedge the importance of his role within the squad, sometimes I think it's overkill having him as well as two other defensive midfielders in the side. I can't argue with results at the moment, but I think this has a lot to do with the sides we've played and the resurgence of Franck Moussa.

The sides we've played recently have either been dreadful (Orient) or in the frame of mind to chase for a win (Leeds and Brighton at the withdean). There's next to no invention in the centre of the park, with Moussa being the only midfielder capable of unlocking a defence with pass.

I think, when we go into games at home against run of the mill teams, like we are this weekend, teams might find it easy to sit back and defend knowing that, Moussa aside, the other midfielders on the park probably won't threaten much.

This.

The midfield balance isn't right at the moment. I'd rather a second player in there who can pass the ball.

I don't think its just that , its also OBL's ratings and report that influence people (against him). i.e If Macca had delivered the corner and the pass for Laurent's goal then I would find it hard to believe that they would not be in the match report.

I wasn't there and so can't comment on how well he did/did not play , but an awful lot (not all) of anti Macca postings are always in direct response to an OBL posting IMO.

So, are you telling me I shouldn't comment? :O It's not JUST me that says these things but ALWAYS me that catches the flak - I was there, I saw, and several other people saw.....Moussa had a quiet game, yes ok, he took the corner that lead to O'Donovan's goal, but he's the corner taker and considering how many corners we had I think I had every right to criticise the predictability of them. He also flicked on the ball to Laurent, just beating Macca to the ball. That was about ALL he did.

I completely resent the criticism of people who were NOT there telling me I must be wrong because I have a blinkered view. Macca actually looked better at Brighton than in the last few games, and I'm hoping whatever was causing him problems recently has now been resolved, because prior to the Revs fallout, he'd been our most consistant player.

Back