• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

General Election 2010: Forget Brown, Is It Time For Cameron To Go?

On the basis that the Tories need something in excess of a 6% lead in the poll to win enough seats to form a government (thanks to the voting system which leans towards Labour), I think we are going to have a hung parliament with Labour and the Lib Dems forming a coalition which should be enough to form a government. I imagine Vince Cable will get the Chancellors job.

If the Conservatives win the most seats that may not be the case, as in theory they could work with either the Lib Dems or Ulster Unionists. If the Lib Dems were to declare they would only work with Labour, why would anyone vote for them as you would only be letting the same failed lot of Labour politicians back in?

What if the Tories needed one more vote to prevent a hung parliament, and Nick Griffin won the Barking seat? Now that would be interesting.

The opinion poll in the OP was taken (I believe) after GB's interview with Piers Morgan and before the bullying revelations came out.

A more telling opinion poll would be one taken in the key marginal seats, which I think (although I'm probably wrong) only need something like a 5 or 6% swing to give the Tories a majority.

The Monster Raving Looney Party have gone a bit quiet since Lord Sutch popped off.
They might need my vote.

One of my favourite election pledges of theirs was to sort out overcrowding of our prisons by releasing all the innocent prisoners.

The Monster Raving Looney Party have gone a bit quiet since Lord Sutch popped off.
They might need my vote.

One of my favourite election pledges of theirs was to sort out overcrowding of our prisons by releasing all the innocent prisoners.

Oddly there's been a few manifesto pledges by the Loonies that have since come on to the statute books, not least the voting age of 18.

If the Conservatives win the most seats that may not be the case, as in theory they could work with either the Lib Dems or Ulster Unionists. If the Lib Dems were to declare they would only work with Labour, why would anyone vote for them as you would only be letting the same failed lot of Labour politicians back in?

It does make you wonder when ever the Lib Dem's come close to any chance of power they always bugger it up hmm.

Tories and Labour most people have noticed their polices and idea's arnt that far removed and their sick of the pair of them. Though anything that does not create definitive lines or ideals is provided like the plague , so here's to a hung parliament for real change :D

The opinion poll in the OP was taken (I believe) after GB's interview with Piers Morgan and before the bullying revelations came out.

A more telling opinion poll would be one taken in the key marginal seats, which I think (although I'm probably wrong) only need something like a 5 or 6% swing to give the Tories a majority.

The key marginals are the true battleground, and I think you are right in saying a 6% swing to the Tories will just about be enough.

Southchurch Groyney said:
Just as a point of order, Wilson actually won marginally more seats in that election, 301 to Heath's 297.
Apologies SG, couldn't remember which way round it was :) Mind you, I was only 6 at the time.....;)

Think Lib Dem, vote Labour - to beat the Tories

The key marginals are the true battleground, and I think you are right in saying a 6% swing to the Tories will just about be enough.

Which was precisely why Peter Hain was calling for a Progressive pact for Liberals and Welsh Nats etc to vote for Labour candidates in Labour-Tory marginals in today's Guardian.

Last edited:
As a little aside, Ladbrokes are betting on every constituency (640-odd). If the favourite won every single one of those seats, the Conservatives would have a majority of 16.

Come to think of it, should I add an 'Election 2010' thread title to the this forum?

Which was precisely why Peter Hain was calling for a Progressive pact for Liberals and Welsh Nats etc to vote for Labour candidates in Labour-Tory marginals in today's Guardian.

That seems to me to be regressive rather than progressive. Perhaps Cuprinol Man is worried about losing his seat.

The big worry will be a hung parliament with a large Tory 'percentage' lead in England..

Something else to consider.

If the Tories win the next election, the SNP are likely to push for a vote on full Scottish Independence. They believe, and with some justificaton, that the Scottish people will not be happy with an English based Tory party in control and as such they'd win that vote.

If that happened, those of us south of the border can look forward to many years of Tory rule.

I actually think a hung parliament would be the best option. Brown, clearly, is not fit to be Prime Minister but his policies as whole are slightly more palatable than what a Tory Government would bring. The Libs bring some fresh ideas, and their involvement in a hung Parliament may refresh the political system.

All that said, I think Cameron will be PM on 7th May, and god help us all......

Something else to consider.

If the Tories win the next election, the SNP are likely to push for a vote on full Scottish Independence. They believe, and with some justificaton, that the Scottish people will not be happy with an English based Tory party in control and as such they'd win that vote.

If that happened, those of us south of the border can look forward to many years of Tory rule.

I actually think a hung parliament would be the best option. Brown, clearly, is not fit to be Prime Minister but his policies as whole are slightly more palatable than what a Tory Government would bring. The Libs bring some fresh ideas, and their involvement in a hung Parliament may refresh the political system.

All that said, I think Cameron will be PM on 7th May, and god help us all......

It would be a wonderful day for England if we could rid ourselves of our pox-ridden cousin to the north. It would also save the English taxpayer billions. I'm far from convinced by Cameron - his brand of 'Conservatism' is a far cry from the free market Thatcherite policies that this country so desperately needs - but if his election means the end of the 'union' with the Frisps, then I'm 100% behind him.

/QUOTE]

After 13 years of a government largely dominated by Scots, then many south of the border may welcome this. I'm not happy at a government that favours one part of the country over the other. The issue of tuition fees is a case in point, Scots MP's being allowed to vote to impose them in England, while English, and for that matter didn't get the same privilege.

Here's some other Monster Raving Loony Party manifesto proposals.

To combat global warming and climate change all buildings should be fitted with air conditioning units on the outside

Due to the increasing number of children afraid of needles, We propose the destruction of the tedious, scary and often painful process of school vaccinations.
Instead, I propose that highly trained nurses should be given free reign on the playground with specially modified tranquillizer rifles which apply vaccinations as well as a tranquillizer. This would have two main benefits: It would be less scary for the children as they will not know what hit them, also it will be more fun for the nurses.

It is proposed that The European Union end its discrimination by creating a "Court of Human Lefts" because their present policy is one_sided.

All socks to be sold in packs of 3 as a precaution against losing one.

It is proposed that we change the English symbol of three lions to 3 badgers. How often do you see lions running round the countryside, we should be proud of the lack of wild and interesting species on our fair isle.

It is proposed to declare the Channel Tunnel a No Fly Zone.

All new homes should be built with a swimming pool and bouncy castle as standard.
To lower the house prices and help young people I propose we erase the last ‘0’ from the price.

Cricket will be made more interesting by elliminating the use of padding.

Defence
We will spend less on defence and more on de-gate and de-garden.

Here's some other Monster Raving Loony Party manifesto proposals.

To combat global warming and climate change all buildings should be fitted with air conditioning units on the outside

Due to the increasing number of children afraid of needles, We propose the destruction of the tedious, scary and often painful process of school vaccinations.
Instead, I propose that highly trained nurses should be given free reign on the playground with specially modified tranquillizer rifles which apply vaccinations as well as a tranquillizer. This would have two main benefits: It would be less scary for the children as they will not know what hit them, also it will be more fun for the nurses.

It is proposed that The European Union end its discrimination by creating a "Court of Human Lefts" because their present policy is one_sided.

All socks to be sold in packs of 3 as a precaution against losing one.

It is proposed that we change the English symbol of three lions to 3 badgers. How often do you see lions running round the countryside, we should be proud of the lack of wild and interesting species on our fair isle.

It is proposed to declare the Channel Tunnel a No Fly Zone.

All new homes should be built with a swimming pool and bouncy castle as standard.
To lower the house prices and help young people I propose we erase the last ‘0’ from the price.

Cricket will be made more interesting by elliminating the use of padding.

Defence
We will spend less on defence and more on de-gate and de-garden.

And yet they make so much more sense then Labour , Tory and Lib Dem sigh....

It would be a wonderful day for England if we could rid ourselves of our pox-ridden cousin to the north. It would also save the English taxpayer billions. I'm far from convinced by Cameron - his brand of 'Conservatism' is a far cry from the free market Thatcherite policies that this country so desperately needs - but if his election means the end of the 'union' with the Frisps, then I'm 100% behind him.

I wonder how much an independent Scotland would charge for transport and docking rates for North Sea Oil, which would of course fall to them because all the rigs would be in their territorial waters.

Mind you, it would give you another set of "immigrants" to whine about.

Back