• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 4, Torquay United 1

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United trounced a torrid Torquay United 4-1 this afternoon, with all of their goals coming in the second half.

More...

Torquay were the worst team I have seen at The Hall for sometime. We could of had about 10 with the amount of chances we had and missed. Still another 4 goals and 3 more points :smile:

Onwards and upwards. Reckon we are good for a few more on Tuesday night. Doubtful on Morris though. Heard he has a thigh strain

A kiddies watch was found in The West stand, if anybody's child has lost one, let us know.

Hopefully Bentley doesn't have his confidence knocked from conceding, the deflection probably made the goalkeeping look worse than it actually was

Torquay were the worst team I have seen at The Hall for sometime. We could of had about 10 with the amount of chances we had and missed. Still another 4 goals and 3 more points :smile:

A bit harsh, as until they conceeded the first goal it was fairly even, then they looked like a team that hasn't won in 8 games, and true we could of got 5 or 6.

Torquay were poor but I'm not complaining, and I'm glad of another 3 points, just a shame that Crawley won. The undefeated run continues, and without wanting to appear arrogant or over confident the next two games are very winnable. Neil Harris took a lot of flak last week, but today I thought he was excellent, captained the side in the absence of Barker, and worked hard throughout, the only criticism he missed what looked to be a simple header.

I thought Sturrock got it about right he subbed Kalalalalalalala when he looked favourite to get a second yellow, and took Morris off when we were 4-0 to give Bentley his debut and probably Morris some early treatment.

Shame the crowd was so low, I'd wager we would have got more on a Friday night, but we seem to be on the right track.

Bentley looked all at sea so no surprise there!

My thoughts on today

Torquay were terrible. So were we first half.. We only needed 15 minutes in the second half to rack up a host of goals.. disappointed in their goal as I had 5-0 at 100-1..
When we attack with tempo we look like we can score at will, just a shame we dont get the tempo up as much as we should. I really believe that Sawyer would give us that extra impetus. Phillips was sensational today - its like a new signing.. I thought Gilbert was solid again. I can see why Cobblers werent keen to lose him. Again another player who we never saw best of last season.
Good times and a bit of daylight in the top 3 now. Barnet tuesday. Cant wait

Sturrock has built a really good team here and after 8 games without defeat and being top of the table, you would like to think people would start to support the team again. Sadly no it seems - I really do question whether the area deserves a pro football club - we should be pulling a lot more than 5500 at home in our position. I remember when Barry Fry was manager and he said something quite similar on ITV when we were only getting just over 7000 despite being near the top of division 2. With that team we should have been getting full houses every show.
Sorry for the downer and I'm delighted we won so well but it's times like these when I really can't see the point of building a 22000 all seater for a town who just don't support it's team.

Sturrock has built a really good team here and after 8 games without defeat and being top of the table, you would like to think people would start to support the team again. Sadly no it seems - I really do question whether the area deserves a pro football club - we should be pulling a lot more than 5500 at home in our position. I remember when Barry Fry was manager and he said something quite similar on ITV when we were only getting just over 7000 despite being near the top of division 2. With that team we should have been getting full houses every show.
Sorry for the downer and I'm delighted we won so well but it's times like these when I really can't see the point of building a 22000 all seater for a town who just don't support it's team.

Every time we have a big crowd we dont play well.. The Morecambe game the perfect example. A 3-0 win and I bet we would have had 7000 today. Always the way...
Its early days. If we still up there at xmas then they will drift back each week

Back