• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 4, Torquay United 1

Sturrock has built a really good team here and after 8 games without defeat and being top of the table, you would like to think people would start to support the team again. Sadly no it seems - I really do question whether the area deserves a pro football club - we should be pulling a lot more than 5500 at home in our position. I remember when Barry Fry was manager and he said something quite similar on ITV when we were only getting just over 7000 despite being near the top of division 2. With that team we should have been getting full houses every show.
Sorry for the downer and I'm delighted we won so well but it's times like these when I really can't see the point of building a 22000 all seater for a town who just don't support it's team.

I agree with you but I also think it is a lot do with peoples finances these days and where their priorities lie.

morris - 6 not much to do, should have come off earlier when injured though

clohessey -7 excellent engine up and down the right.

phillips - 7 would have been 8 but got caught with the ball on occasion today, could cost against better

prosser- 6.5 defended well enough still hoofs a bit too much

gilbert - 6.5 see prosser

timlin- 8 MOM we have to keep him, class above today, with kane advanced gives him room to play

Kane - 8 two goals, best performance for a while from the youngster just pipped by timlin for MOM

Kalala - 8(defensively) 4 (footy brain) he is brilliant at stopping the oppo play simply fantastic.....but he wins the ball then often gives the ball straight back.

Harris - 7 for all the question marks raised after last week he certainly played well today, his work to set up kanes 2nd was outstanding, linked play very well today

Dickinson-7 worked the channels well and took goal very well

Hall-6.5- just not quite dazzling as he can at the moment, some glimpses though

sturrock- not really fair to mark him

Bentley -6 seemed very nervy but goal certainly wasnt his fault, big deflection, done ok after

Kalala - 8(defensively) 4 (footy brain) he is brilliant at stopping the oppo play simply fantastic.....but he wins the ball then often gives the ball straight back.

One thing about Kalala is that he does give the ball away occasionally but that isn't after he wins the ball.
If he wins the ball looks up plays a pass I reckon his pass rate is 95%.
But if he his given the ball and time on the ball he gives the ball away a surprising amount.

Even so, he is my favourite signing, PS has made and definitely my man of the match today!

I got slated on here for criticising the style of play after the Shrewsbury game, but no complaints from me today. We got the ball down and played some great stuff. Even long balls from Gilbert were precise and aimed at Dickinson or Harris which we built from. Performance of the season so far for me. Anyone else agree?

I also thought Michael Timlin was a cut above today. Absolutely immense as was Phillips at the back. We have to try everything we can to get Timlin in on a perm in January but I do think his new contract signed in the summer could be a stumbling block and would be interesting how we got on without him as he's fast becoming a key member of the side IMO.

I agree with you but I also think it is a lot do with peoples finances these days and where their priorities lie.

Absolutely. £21 for a casual walk-up ticket on matchday is a heck of a lot of money. Add to that a couple of pints, transport, maybe a pie at half time, and you are probably looking at £40-£50 for a Saturday afternoon of League 2 football. People just don't have that kind of money in these straightened economic times.

The longer we go on with us in this kind of position, the more likely we are to attract back the casual fans (I hope), and it is absolutely crucial that we get out of this dreadful league. If we can manage that (and keep going financially :'( ), we stand every chance of attracting more fans to watch the team on a regular basis.

A good win against a very poor Torquay side. However, we were just as bad 1st half. 2nd half was a great improvement, helped by a early goal we should have scored a lot more. Phillips Timlin and Kalala the pick of the team for me. As mentioned disapointed with the crowd, but more results like this and the casuals will come back

Quality result today from the boys and again Sturrock got his tatics spot on!! Timlin , Ferdinand, Phillips all had great games and Harris has another great game but no doubt people wil still moan about him for something

I just dont see this poor 1st half performance, we should have been 3 or 4 up easily

I think that is what I found frustrating about the first half, we had so many chances yet failed to put one away.Luckily that was rectified in the second half.

He was unlucky not to score in first half but continues to create chances and one game he will score a header and that will kick start his goal scoring season for us!!

Shame Morris had to go off as I think Sturrock would have put Moshni on up front.Could see our tactics change at that point.

Phillips just tweeted that he has a 'niggle' in his groin after today's match - Moshni & Prosser in the centre next week?

Good second half, average first half. We didn't really need to get out of second gear to beat a below average Torquay side.
I think this is where we are as a team. We look like we can beat the poor teams easily (not always reflected in the scoreline)
But can't quite unlock the better league two outfits.

Morris 6.5 not much to do handling good and any back passes were dealt with, before being substitued with an obvious problem with his kicking.

Clohessey 7. Defended well got forward well. One of the great un-noticed.

Phillips 7.5 Defended well, organised in the absence of Barker. Good goal well taken. Loses half a mark for dwelling on the ball a bit, and nearly getting caught.

Prosser 7. Slotted in well, and was pleased to see him in the team. Apart from one wayward pass to Gilbert in the first, can't remember him doing much wrong. Some would rather Mohnsi were in the position. Not me.

Gilbert 7. Defended well, not too much to trouble him though. Solid (which is what you want)

Timlin 7.5 Some will say his best match, for me not quite as good as Morecambe. Need him badly though!

Ferdinand 8 Much better game from Kane, and two goals from one of our 'defensive midfielders' gets him an 8.

Kalala 8. MoM (just) thought he won everything first half. Distribution faltered after break. Booked and lucky not to have been booked again. Luckily our manager saw the danger coming and subbed him before another card.

Harris 7.5 Much better game from bomber. another day he could have had four. Good movement too.

Dickinson 7.5 won most headers, or if not made the defender head it where he wanted him to anyway. Good goal, looked up saw no-one else was better positioned, and despatched it with confidence.

Hall 7. Not his most dynamic 90 mins, but his crosses caused problems, and goals.

Subs. Blair 6 hardly touched the ball, but when he did he passed to a blue shirt.
Bentley 6 Looked a bit shaky, shame about the wicked deflection. Puched when i think he could have caught.
Leonard 6.5 Looked very comfy on the right midfield when he come on. I like this guy.

One mention for Howe, who looked to land clumsily after a collision with Prosser, and was stretchered off. Seemed like they were protecting his neck, and he certainly didn't move. He is a bulky guy who, if he landed on his head, might have a serious injury. I hope not and wish him well.

Back