• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Strikes take 2

Perth Bambi

Pinocchio
Well looks like there is going to be an even bigger strike this time on 30th November. Not really sure if it has had much publicity, mainly due to everyone else that is going on, but from what I gather this will potentially be the biggest strike in the last 30 years.

From a personal point of view, the CSP (the union for physiotherapists) is currently balloting to decide whether to join the strike which is novel as they have never gone on strike before.

24% turn out on the vote. Even as a lefty I fail to see how this is a realistic mandate.

We got an email from DfE today with new offer, it is better... but prob still not enough to starve off strike. I don't like Gov tone with the threat to withdraw offer if strike goes ahead.

24% turn out on the vote. Even as a lefty I fail to see how this is a realistic mandate.

It is still amazing how many teachers didn't vote because they didn't realise extent of changes. There's part of me that says if they care so little, cut theirs ;) I care so don't cut mine please!

There's quite a lot of resentment to the lecturer's unions (ATL and UCU) and the general unions at my work, mainly because the reps are complete dicks and there's the general issue of trying to get rid of ***** staff. Personally I'm not keen on how they really play the system to benefit staff who are inadequate, at the detriment of the uni and fellow staff. I think unions have an important role to play, but I think the real bad eggs in every workplace have used the unions to their advantage and now everyone is suffering.

Surely these are cuts that need to be suffered to help get the country back on track. I didn't see much sympathy for us private sector folks from these people when our pensions and investments were crumbling.

We got an email from DfE today with new offer, it is better... but prob still not enough to starve off strike. I don't like Gov tone with the threat to withdraw offer if strike goes ahead.

Why not, this is their offer to try and stave off the strike, why should they keep it on offer if the strike goes ahead. Pretty poor negotiating skills if they did.

Sad state of affairs as its private business that suffers, I really don't like unions or strikes. I have no sympathy.

Surely these are cuts that need to be suffered to help get the country back on track. I didn't see much sympathy for us private sector folks from these people when our pensions and investments were crumbling.

The idea that the cuts are somehow 'essential' is pretty hard to swallow when financial providers and banks continue to make huge profits and pay out unbelievable bonuses. My guess is that those who are striking aren't just doing so because of the cuts (I think most would admit they've had it pretty good, and the welfare state in this country has turned into a bloated messy), but because of the feeling that the public sector workers are suffering where as the main culprits continue to live of the fat of the land. Some might call it jealousy, but there is a real feeling that we're not in it all together. I took a walk down Barnsley high street the other day on the way to a meeting, it was literally deserted, towns are dying and there isn't a light at the end of the tunnel.

The idea that the cuts are somehow 'essential' is pretty hard to swallow when financial providers and banks continue to make huge profits and pay out unbelievable bonuses. My guess is that those who are striking aren't just doing so because of the cuts (I think most would admit they've had it pretty good, and the welfare state in this country has turned into a bloated messy), but because of the feeling that the public sector workers are suffering where as the main culprits continue to live of the fat of the land. Some might call it jealousy, but there is a real feeling that we're not in it all together. I took a walk down Barnsley high street the other day on the way to a meeting, it was literally deserted, towns are dying and there isn't a light at the end of the tunnel.

Not everyone working in Banking gets a massive bonus. The top blokes do, but they do have targets to meet. Public sector workers complaining about pensions? Most Private sector workers don't get an automatic pension and if the firm they work for goes skint they are out of work, no redundancy - nothing. No we are certainly not all in this together.

I've said before I've every sympathy for Public sector workers over the issue of pensions, however they need to get real and see what's happened in the Private sector over the last 13 years or so. Private sector workers who've paid into schemes have seen either the schemes collapse because of the 5 billion a year that Brown started to take seeing the collapse of the Pension industry in this country. Seeing the collapse of many final salary schemes, or seeing many people's contributions wiped out.

You may be complaining over there in the Public sector, but you'll still have a reasonably decent pension when you come to retirement. Which is a whole lot better than some over here in the Private sector who have been driven to financial penury.

Also beware that the Unions aren't using you as political cannon fodder because of their hatred of those nasty Tories, and now they're joined at the hip those equally nasty Lib-Dems. Particilarly the odious Mark Serwotka, who's idol is apparently Arthur Scargill, still I suppose he'll end up with a much bigger house than his union members.

Very well put Jon :clap:

Well looks like there is going to be an even bigger strike this time on 30th November. Not really sure if it has had much publicity, mainly due to everyone else that is going on, but from what I gather this will potentially be the biggest strike in the last 30 years.

From a personal point of view, the CSP (the union for physiotherapists) is currently balloting to decide whether to join the strike which is novel as they have never gone on strike before.

The physiotherapists might withdraw their labour? The horror!

I've said before I've every sympathy for Public sector workers over the issue of pensions, however they need to get real and see what's happened in the Private sector over the last 13 years or so. Private sector workers who've paid into schemes have seen either the schemes collapse because of the 5 billion a year that Brown started to take seeing the collapse of the Pension industry in this country. Seeing the collapse of many final salary schemes, or seeing many people's contributions wiped out.

You may be complaining over there in the Public sector, but you'll still have a reasonably decent pension when you come to retirement. Which is a whole lot better than some over here in the Private sector who have been driven to financial penury.

Also beware that the Unions aren't using you as political cannon fodder because of their hatred of those nasty Tories, and now they're joined at the hip those equally nasty Lib-Dems. Particilarly the odious Mark Serwotka, who's idol is apparently Arthur Scargill, still I suppose he'll end up with a much bigger house than his union members.

The problem with using the private sector as justification for the public not learning or adhering to the real world is a straw man . The disaster that occurred simply by logic paints the private sector as far more incompetent and wasteful then the public sector could ever be , and destructive.

And then the private sector who make all teh money were bailed out by that wasteful public sector anyway.

I sympathise with the strikers but I haven't heard any reasonable suggestions as to where the extra funds to pay these pensions will come from.

I sympathise with the strikers but I haven't heard any reasonable suggestions as to where the extra funds to pay these pensions will come from.
Closing more of the tax evasion law's . Collecting that tax that Lord Football told us about last year that's still waiting (min of around £46 Billion i believe ) thast a start . Sorting out the loans for small and medium size business

Stop pumping near on 14 billion a year into the EU, and stop giving huge hand outs to countries that can look after themselves,IE: India and Pakistan.

Stop pumping near on 14 billion a year into the EU, and stop giving huge hand outs to countries that can look after themselves,IE: India and Pakistan.

I would agree aside from India , they are sweeteners for trade agreements , and again the 14 Billion for EU is also for trade (which is still a large market )

Not everyone working in Banking gets a massive bonus. The top blokes do, but they do have targets to meet. Public sector workers complaining about pensions? Most Private sector workers don't get an automatic pension and if the firm they work for goes skint they are out of work, no redundancy - nothing. No we are certainly not all in this together.

Don't disagree with that at all really. I don't really see it as a public/private battle, but a 1% vs the rest of us

Back