• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Burton Albion 2, Southend United 0

Corr and Assombalonga are different players with different styles of play. As such the team will need to play differently when one or the other is in the side - it's hardly rocket science. j

Corr and Assombalonga are different players with different styles of play. As such the team will need to play differently when one or the other is in the side - it's hardly rocket science. j

True, but if you played Benyon or Freddy, we are less inclined to play hoofball, which has been shown to be pointless, which what we got yesterday.

Spot on! I called the Cresswell & Corr change at half time as Corr was clueless. The one thing I did predict wrong was him being sent off. We slagged off Bilel for being a loon, but Corr isn't a million miles behind him. The Burton players sussed that & spent the game clattering into him from behind, something Bilel couldn't cope with, or chirping in his ear or to his face!

What's this utter ? we lose one game and we are suddenly on the back of a bloke who has shown more desire and fight in getting his career back - should be ashamed of yourself.
Freddy got his chance and blew it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did predict that the whingers would be out in force as soon as we lost a game.......so predictable. Can't they play with their Christmas toys instead? COYBB 3 points on Tuesday.

I did predict that the whingers would be out in force as soon as we lost a game.......so predictable. Can't they play with their Christmas toys instead? COYBB 3 points on Tuesday.

Freddy has had a lot less pitch time than corr and scored as many goals so who has blown it?

Burton can't play the beautiful game to save their lives but their game plan was spot on......they clogged,niggled, fouled, continually stole yards and time wasted and all aided by inept officials, especially the 12 year old lino by our seats. This kept our fantastic travelling support quiet. With all this to contend with the players did'nt get going at all.................Happens sometimes.Bring on the next match. Just hope confidence has'nt be damaged too much.

1 defeat in 15 was that? I said going into the game that I would settle for a point against a team that have always been a tough one to beat for us. We lost to a team that had some luck in the first and a game plan in the second. Move on and onto Gillingham.

What's this utter ? we lose one game and we are suddenly on the back of a bloke who has shown more desire and fight in getting his career back - should be ashamed of yourself.

Ashamed of what? I admire his desire to get fit again, its just a shame he isn't fit. Even Stevie Wonder can see that, so I don't think I'm the one talking . I have watched a game with an osteopath where he played & within a few minutes of playing was told he is not fit.

This is not a reaction to one defeat, but a reaction to going back to brainless hoofball that was being slagged off on here last season & the season before.

As for Freddy, he hasn't been given a chance by PS, as he has made it obvious he doesn't want him at the club. He had a chance at Wolves, but was played as a winger & never recovered from an injury. Yes Freddy is a shadow of his former self, but is a better option than Corr or Benyon.

He is not good enough, which is why he has done nothing at any of the clubs he's played for. His goalscoring record for us is padded out with penalties

Its one bad game, I could understand the ranting if this was a few games in a row.

Roll on Tuesday...

Its one bad game, I could understand the ranting if this was a few games in a row.

Roll on Tuesday...

It is just one game and the team have been fantastic of late. Its not about panic or knee jerk reaction. Its just observation that matters need to be addressed so one defeat does not become two and so on. We may have lost yesterday whatever team we put out, just one of those days, but win or lose we want the best side on the pitch.

What could cost us promotion this season is sturrocks lack of vision with Freddie Eastwood. When Brett or gav can't be in the team the obvious choice to continue the passing game all the team is used to is Freddie. NOT corr. Those on this forum who deliberately poke their own eyes so they cannot see what Freddie can bring to a team have a newts brain. Freddie is the way forward in the second half of the season and not corr. But we have to get him fit and that means more starts - so play him in all our Cup matches and rest Brett and gav for the league. They must not play in the distractions from the real task. Eastwood was and still is one of the most exhilarating players to watch. Note for gills game. They are going to be as tough and niggly as burton so we have to get on the referees back as soon as the gills dirty tactics start, and that'll probably be the first minute. Full on volume for tues.

Swearing from behind your computer name again SAM - maybe you should be ashamed of yourself.

Healthy debates are one thing, why the need to get personal?

What could cost us promotion this season is sturrocks lack of vision with Freddie Eastwood. When Brett or gav can't be in the team the obvious choice to continue the passing game all the team is used to is Freddie. NOT corr. Those on this forum who deliberately poke their own eyes so they cannot see what Freddie can bring to a team have a newts brain. Freddie is the way forward in the second half of the season and not corr. But we have to get him fit and that means more starts - so play him in all our Cup matches and rest Brett and gav for the league. They must not play in the distractions from the real task. Eastwood was and still is one of the most exhilarating players to watch. Note for gills game. They are going to be as tough and niggly as burton so we have to get on the referees back as soon as the gills dirty tactics start, and that'll probably be the first minute. Full on volume for tues.

Agree with the Freddy, comments...I can't believe the short memories people have on here and at the game yesterday. Corr is decent to throw on for twenty/twenty five minutes, Cresswell up top for five, Freddy has the intelligence and class to start and score goal each week. I would imagine in a team on a run like ours, Freddy like Britt/Gav would score loads.

Tuesday, I expect that Barratt would be bricking it having to mark Freddy and opposed to Corr who can be wound up very easily.

Burton fan here.

Read a lot of the comments on here with interest.

'Burton are average'.

'Burton are decidedly average'.

'Burton can't play to save their lives.... niggly fouls, stealing 5 yards at free kicks'.

'P%^& off back to non-league'.

And so it goes on. I have no particular axe to grind with Southend. I was a bit worried when the teams took to the field that your boys seemed on average to be a bit bigger physically than ours. A few of your chaps think that we 'bullied' you. Perhaps so - that's a reflection on your lads, though. As to 'average', and 'can't play to save our lives', well, we are ONE point behind you. If we are as average (or even abysmal) as you suggest, you are not appreciably better.

Perhaps, however, the better view is that actually we're both pretty decent League 2 sides and you are perhaps frustrated that we did a number on you again yesterday. You certainly struggled to contain Kee and Zola, and Lee Bell dominated the middle of the park, as well as supplying a great cross for the first, and scoring the (albeit deflected) second.

The 'p$%^ off back to non-league' stuff, well, that is a sad indictment on the poster really. We are a decent L2 side - no, we are not as big a club as several others in the league, and we don't think we are. I would be surprised if we made the play-offs but wouldn't be surprised to see us finish between, say 8th and 11th. We don't all think we're a massive club, we know we're not. What we are, however, is a solid L2 club with a decent enough ground, a sensible owner and a bunch of players who seem to be able to grind out results.

The ref was abysmal, I think we can all agree on that - terrible decisions both ways. I am not sure that anyone has yet ascertained why Stanton was sent off. Looked like a bit of handbags and both players perhaps should have had a talking to or been booked. Some of the free kick (and even corner/goal kick) decisions both ways looked appalling. Just inept, simple as that.

Thought it was ultimately an interesting game yesterday. Threatened to boil over once or twice but didn't, thankfully (apart from a couple of plonkers in your end by the looks of it?).

Anyway, as I say, I don't dislike Southend any more than any other side, no axe to grind, just thought I'd try and even it out a bit. Cheers.

A good and sensible post Tim. Your team look well organised and we've played a lot worse this season

Welcome on to SZ Tim, I think the problem is that Burton have been a consistent thorn in our sides and that's why people are so bitter. I wasn't there, but have seen far too many times to mention where sides have been allowed to get away with quite unnecessary niggling because of inept officials. That, and, of course, people are just hacked off cos we lost for once and so the pessimism and blaming culture descends again!

Welcome on to SZ Tim, I think the problem is that Burton have been a consistent thorn in our sides and that's why people are so bitter. I wasn't there, but have seen far too many times to mention where sides have been allowed to get away with quite unnecessary niggling because of inept officials. That, and, of course, people are just hacked off cos we lost for once and so the pessimism and blaming culture descends again!

I don't think any of that were there yesterday will deny how poor we were. The passing was terrible and every time we gave the ball away there was no attempt to try and win it back.
However what we disliked was the way that often when we crossed the ball into the box one of their players or the goalie would throw themselves to the floor with no one having touched them and the linesman on our side, who was completely useless, fell for it every time. As we have complained about many times already this season they were a side who liked to lead with their elbows and often pulled our players off the ball or wrapped their arms around them to wrestle them off the ball with our players getting no protection from the officials.
I notice Tim mentions Stanton's card. According to SUFC's official twitter he raised his hands to Prosser. In fact both players were actually cautioned but Stanton had already been booked earlier in the game hence his red. What Tim conveniently doesn't mention is how long Stanton stood there arguing with the ref before he finally strolled off the pitch.

Last edited:
That Stanton was a disgrace, I would test him for Steroids as he was an angry little man...in fact maybe it was little man syndrome too as he had one hell of a chip of his musclebound shoulders. The shatoos, ott muscles and bowl in his walk definatly were to compensate for something.

He was pulling, grappling and trying to throw Prosser to the ground first half, then got invloved with Corr before aiming a butt/punch, he continued to square up to players all through the match and it was no surprise when he finally saw red. Then it took him a good minute to leave the field of play #pr@t

I am not sure that anyone has yet ascertained why Stanton was sent off.

Violent conduct.

You can't raise your hands against an opponent these days. The only surprise was that the ref spotted it!

Sorry about the p$%^ off back to non-league comments. Not all our fans think that way.

Back