• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Burton Albion 2, Southend United 0

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United’s 14 match unbeaten run came to an end with a disappointing 2-0 defeat at Burton Albion this afternoon.

More...

Well that was a bit rubbish

Smith - 7 - good handling and stops, some poor kicks but nevermind. Also had to deal with banter/abuse from our own fans

Clohessy - 5 - below par

Prosser - 6 - ok

Cresswell - 5 - struggled

Barker - 6 - ok

Timlin - 3 - woeful

Tam - 6 - tidy

Laird - 5 - ran out of puff

Hurst - 5 - disappointing

Tomlin - 5 - worked hard but it didn't come off

Corr - 6 - bright start but faded badly

Subs:

Phillips - 7 - looked classy

Freddy - 6 - fantastic header with his first touch, but that was it

Martin - 5 - linked up but product was lacking

Ref seemed to get most decisions right in my eyes but he completely failed to control the players

The goals killed it off Burton shut the game out well. The first came from nothing and looked a smart finish. The second was going well wide and took a deflection. We dominated stats-wise but failed to make many clear chances and I never felt we were on top in midfield. Couldn't see the sending off offence and disappointing to see fighting among our own fans

Agree with the comments above that whilst most of the ref's decisions were correct, he got bullied by both sets of players. Pierluigi Collina he wasn't.

We never got going today. Passes were going astray all afternoon and there was none of the trickery up front we've been used to recently. Was this the lack of Assombalonga? I'm not sure. Key individuals such as Tomlin and Cresswell also had bad days, and when they are off form, it doesn't help everyone else. I'd want to see their first goal again - it was up the other end and looked as though Cresswell and/or Smith could have been at fault. Smith again took abuse from individual fans which is really uncalled for - he was fine - why travel 200 miles to do that? Prosser, not for the first time this season, was our best player I felt - solid and increasingly vocal at centre half.

How we react now is goin to be big it was always goin to come bring on the next game and lets get back on track. Well done to ps and all the players on the great run we have been on now lets go on another coyb

Disappointing but the run wasn't going to last forever. This is where the big test comes, how we react to defeat!

Smith - 7 - good handling and stops, some poor kicks but nevermind. Also had to deal with banter/abuse from our own fans

Ref seemed to get most decisions right in my eyes but he completely failed to control the players

Couple of points here, when are our supporters going to realise that Belford isn't coming back and that Smith is the keeper that Sturrock has chosen instead? Can't believe that after a great run which included a number of clean sheets, Smith has to tolerate this quite ridiculous abuse.

And what does the comment about the ref failing to control the players refer to? We've had quite a few refs recently who've failed to offer any protection to our forward players, was it more of the same?

We never really got going, but for what looked from where I sat like an own goal and a deflection we would have a deserved draw as burton were no great shakes themselves.

Saying that, for all our possession we failed to create any good chances.

Smith 7
Clohessy 5
Barker 6
Prosser 6
Cresswell 6
Timlin 5
Laird 6
Tam mac 7
Hurst 5
Tomlin 5
Corr 5

Subs
Phillips 6
Fred 6
Martin 4

Ref was terrible at player control. Time and again was mugged by the players, and is probably a factor in the sending off. A few well placed yellows early on would have nipped it in the bud. Saying that, he wasn't helped by the Lino down by the Southend fans who was completely inept. The worst I think I can remember.

Couple of points here, when are our supporters going to realise that Belford isn't coming back and that Smith is the keeper that Sturrock has chosen instead? Can't believe that after a great run which included a number of clean sheets, Smith has to tolerate this quite ridiculous abuse.

And what does the comment about the ref failing to control the players refer to? We've had quite a few refs recently who've failed to offer any protection to our forward players, was it more of the same?
yep your only to right with this one:thumbsup:

I don't like being too critical of Luggy's selections, because he knows these players better than any of us, but did they look tired today ? I mean, they only played a couple of days ago.

Bad day at the office, we were always going to have one given the current run we have been on, didn't get any luck today at all. Typical it had to be on my first away trip of the season. Thought Smith did fine, had no chance with either goal. 2nd goal was going well wide until the deflection.

Clohessey and Hurst didn't have the best of games, and thought nothing came off for Corr and Tomlin. Thought Phillips looked very short of match practice when he came on.

Whole team looked a bit tired which is a worry considering Gillingham didn't play today.

No. There were lots of niggley fouls, kicking the ball away, stealing 5 yards from a free kick etc. On one occasion Timlin was wrestled back from taking a quick free kick right in front of the ref and he did nothing. In fairness on that occasion he did need to go to see Corr who was lying on the floor in the box claiming he'd just been whacked. It was really blatent and went on all afternoon

One for Mick perhaps - the sending off was for some kind of contact in the area when we were waiting to take a free kick. As well as a sending off, should that be a penalty?

I don't like being too critical of Luggy's selections, because he knows these players better than any of us, but did they look tired today ? I mean, they only played a couple of days ago.

Didn't looks particularly tired but yes it could have been a factor.

No. There were lots of niggley fouls, kicking the ball away, stealing 5 yards from a free kick etc. On one occasion Timlin was wrestled back from taking a quick free kick right in front of the ref and he did nothing. In fairness on that occasion he did need to go to see Corr who was lying on the floor in the box claiming he'd just been whacked. It was really blatent and went on all afternoon

One for Mick perhaps - the sending off was for some kind of contact in the area when we were waiting to take a free kick. As well as a sending off, should that be a penalty?

Only a penalty/free-kick if the ball is in play.

Yes the sending off typified the refs performance. A regular free kick which resulted in argy-bargy between the two teams and then a red card appears. There was several off the ball moments and a we wanted to take quick free kicks and burton didn't want us to

As I say, I don't want to be too critical, cos if he'd changed a winning team and lost, he'd have got blamed. Tough call for Tuesday, though...

Ah well.another bogey team we`ve lost to. Never mind. Let us move on to NYD. UTB!

I thought the officials as a whole were very poor. The lino in front of me was dreadful. Their first came from a free kick for an offside against Tomlin. Looked at least level to me & the flag went up 5 seconds later after the Burton defence shouted. The guy had a mare & was bullied into decisions all through the game.

That said we were pretty poor & it was disappointing, but after such a good run this performance & result was always on the cards. Lets see how we react on Tuesday, a win against Gills & we've had a good Xmas period.

On the Smith booing I didn't hear any from where I was sitting, did hear a chorus of 'Southend's number 1' though, which was nice. People have got to get behind him. He had a few shaky moments at the start of the season, but has come on loads in my opinion, he's made many more stops than mistakes by a mile. I wouldn't swap him for any other keeper I've seen this season & that includes Belford.

Mixed feelings really, dissapointed with the result and yes team appears tired, which is a massive concern ahead of the gills game, at least had we got a result it gives you a lift even if tired , rather than being tired and down. On the positive it's one defeat in 15 and we could have drawn the last three and still be unbeaten but three points worse off, so the last two wins still mean more than the unbeaten run. Worried about Tuesday though with the gills having only played once in the same time as we have played three times. Utb

I thought the officials as a whole were very poor. The lino in front of me was dreadful. Their first came from a free kick for an offside against Tomlin. Looked at least level to me & the flag went up 5 seconds later after the Burton defence shouted.

Couldn't see if he was offside or not, but the lino only put his flag up when Tomlin went for the ball, which is the rules, and not because the defense shouted for it.

Back