• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The most frustrating thing about the constant over-analysis of Smith's performance is the constant over-analysis of Smith's performance with a biased agenda. I'm not talking about wanting what's best for the team as that's an agenda we all should have. The frustrating piece has been the apparent need for people to invest so much determination in proving themselves right because they publicly entrenched themselves in a view that the player wasn't good enough, such that every conceded goal is now dissected to see if the goalkeeper might possibly be at fault.

While Smith did look shaky at times at the outset - for me the jury has always been undecided - the performance last night shows that, if we can get behind him, he could be a massive asset.

It's made me start looking at some of the goals on a Saturday night on MOTD in a different light. You can almost find fault with EVERY goal and hold the keeper partly responsible. If the keeper had come out there, he'd have got it. If he'd only parried it round the post, the striker wouldn't have followed up. If he'd caught it rather than punched it.... etc. For every 'error' attributed to Smith lately, I've seen identical 'failings' on a weekly basis from keepers in the Premier League, suggesting that some people are holding our keeper to impossible standards.

The keeper is the last line of defence and if a goal is scored it's due to a combination of events, like our strikers not retaining possession, the midfield not cutting out the counter-attack, the defenders being out of position and not tracking their attackers and THEN the keeper not stopping the ball.

The point is, when you start with a position of 'Smith must be at fault', you'll be likely to make a case for it every time - and some people are going all out to prove it.

We all seem to accept that he's a confidence player. While last night shows he has the ability, why don't we try to help him with that confidence.

AND WHAT A PENALTY SAVE!!! :clap:

Great post, and agree 100%. It's worth remembering, however, that the claim of biased agenda could well be levelled at members of both sides of the argument (I'm looking at you Neil 24 :raspberry: )

guillty ha ha i am biased.:winking: i just really beleive in him like u know i have been from day he joined. only one game but lets hope it continues

I'm neither for or against Smith, but its fair to say, that was one of the best, if not, THE best display i have ever seen from a goalkeeper. I counted at least 9 saves that he shouldn't have made, and another 4 that he should, but were still good saves, plus the penalty save that was fantastic to say the least... kicking was still a little iffy at times though, which led to the penalty... but i think he can be excused since few others completed a high percentage of passes last night!

regarding smiths kick what were they like? was it distance lackin? or accuracy? just curious thats all. many thanks

The most frustrating thing about the constant over-analysis of Smith's performance is the constant over-analysis of Smith's performance with a biased agenda. I'm not talking about wanting what's best for the team as that's an agenda we all should have. The frustrating piece has been the apparent need for people to invest so much determination in proving themselves right because they publicly entrenched themselves in a view that the player wasn't good enough, such that every conceded goal is now dissected to see if the goalkeeper might possibly be at fault.

While Smith did look shaky at times at the outset - for me the jury has always been undecided - the performance last night shows that, if we can get behind him, he could be a massive asset.

It's made me start looking at some of the goals on a Saturday night on MOTD in a different light. You can almost find fault with EVERY goal and hold the keeper partly responsible. If the keeper had come out there, he'd have got it. If he'd only parried it round the post, the striker wouldn't have followed up. If he'd caught it rather than punched it.... etc. For every 'error' attributed to Smith lately, I've seen identical 'failings' on a weekly basis from keepers in the Premier League, suggesting that some people are holding our keeper to impossible standards.

The keeper is the last line of defence and if a goal is scored it's due to a combination of events, like our strikers not retaining possession, the midfield not cutting out the counter-attack, the defenders being out of position and not tracking their attackers and THEN the keeper not stopping the ball.

The point is, when you start with a position of 'Smith must be at fault', you'll be likely to make a case for it every time - and some people are going all out to prove it.

We all seem to accept that he's a confidence player. While last night shows he has the ability, why don't we try to help him with that confidence.

AND WHAT A PENALTY SAVE!!! :clap:

Well said SBH, great post.

People make their mind up about players, and in some cases will then only see the bad in them.

Personally I like to think if a player improves Ill notice it, Tomlin for example Ill happily admit to thinking he was a hopeless striker at the beginning of the season and have changed my opinion on him since.

However for a keeper its harder to turn the tide, we will always concede goals and no matter whether they are actually down to goal keeping errors or not some will always put them down to him.

His kicking sometimes is good, sometimes lacks accuracy, sometimes distance. His goal kicks are fine, its the out of hand stuff and passbacks (which granted are sometimes not wanted) that are a bit sporadic.

In fairness, with regards to the kick that led to the penalty, it would have helped if Clohessy had been facing the right way!

Could have been 8 tonight if it weren't for Paul Smith. I've heard from a decent source that when he came to you his confidence had been massively broken. When he left us (Brentford), it wouldn't have surprised me to see him play for England. Back him and you could still have one hell of a keeper, as tonight proved. Slag him off, and you are your own worst enemies.

I get really annoyed when "foreigners" come over here, take over our board and try to tell us what's what. This is the biggest load of tripe I have read in a long time. Do you really believe that it "Could have been 8 tonight if it weren't for Paul Smith"?

Because I counted far more than 8 great saves. I reckon it "could have been about 15 if it weren't for Paul Smith". So, please think twice before you come back on here slagging off our players, and underplaying their performances.

:winking:

As a Brentford fan I have seen numerous great performances from Paul Smith when he was with us for several years. Ironically making his debut against you as a sub in the JPT area final.

He was rightfully labelled the best goalkeeper in league one when he was with us, before going to Southampton where he made numerous amazing performances when Niemi was injured. Unfortunatley when George Burley took over, he didn't take to Smith and this halted his progression, he then went to Forest where he was voted in the PFA team of the year for league one, and did well for himself there in the championship before being displaced. He then stayed too long as a understudy.

I can only think it was during this time that he ended up with you as he could do a lot better then league 2, as last night shows and his career before that has. As for this guy wiggy you are an idoit and clearly know nothing about football if you think Smith is not good enough for you. You go on about how his kicking is poor, but all your team did last night was hoof the ball up the pitch with no direction anyway, so why are you complaining.

Having seen Paul Smith numerous times you should consider yourselves very lucky to have him and if you don't your an idoit.

They can have him for say,around £300k.:winking:

No chance of us re-signing him we are over subscribed for goalkeepers. Moore has numerous scouts watching him, and David James has tipped him to play for England.

His now understudy is Richard Lee who has been superb for us but got injured. He also had much media attention for his penalty saving antics and a string of fine performances in our Carling Cup run a few years back and was player of the season 2 years ago.

As a Brentford fan I have seen numerous great performances from Paul Smith when he was with us for several years. Ironically making his debut against you as a sub in the JPT area final.

He was rightfully labelled the best goalkeeper in league one when he was with us, before going to Southampton where he made numerous amazing performances when Niemi was injured. Unfortunatley when George Burley took over, he didn't take to Smith and this halted his progression, he then went to Forest where he was voted in the PFA team of the year for league one, and did well for himself there in the championship before being displaced. He then stayed too long as a understudy.

I can only think it was during this time that he ended up with you as he could do a lot better then league 2, as last night shows and his career before that has. As for this guy wiggy you are an idoit and clearly know nothing about football if you think Smith is not good enough for you. You go on about how his kicking is poor, but all your team did last night was hoof the ball up the pitch with no direction anyway, so why are you complaining.

Having seen Paul Smith numerous times you should consider yourselves very lucky to have him and if you don't your an idoit.

Thanks for the comments about Smith and welcome to SZ.
Less of the 'idoit' bit though. Wiggy's our panto villain, not yours!

Oh dear oh dear

Sorry just reading all his comments about how Smith was rubbish annoyed me! I thought he played well in the JPT game against us as well for what it's worth (I didn't go to the original FA Cup game).

What's been happening to your lot, as your results have dropped recently and you played some nice passing football in the JPT match but seemed to panic and lose all sense of direction last night.

Sorry just reading all his comments about how Smith was rubbish annoyed me! I thought he played well in the JPT game against us as well for what it's worth (I didn't go to the original FA Cup game).

What's been happening to your lot, as your results have dropped recently and you played some nice passing football in the JPT match but seemed to panic and lose all sense of direction last night.

Mainly injuries. We had four central defenders playing in various positions, and a left back playing in midfield. We've also had to let a couple of loan players go back, one of which (Mkandawire from Millwall) was superb in midfield, although he wouldn't have been able to play in the FA Cup anyway...

Well done Smith you had a great game last night. I really hope after the report on sky sport, that another team come in for you.Your time at Southend can't have been the best, l know where ever you play there will always be fans having a moan.
We have had a large group of fans, that have just been plain nasty, hopefully the manager got a bit on the bottom, after Smith,s game last night.
I am sure we will still hear the same old people moaning about Paul Smith, but for the moment l think you should all give it a rest.
If you are true supporters, get behind Smith and the rest of the team.

Much like we were at the start of the season we lack any decent CMs at the moment through injuries and loan contracts expiring.

I was walking back to the car last night and I got talking to a Brentford fan, he agreed that smith got joint man of the match, he said that they had 17 shots on target, and was getting so anoyed that smithy was saving them all. I thought smithy was fantastic last night, a one man defence. I was just to one side of the goal, and could not be leave how many perspective goals he saved, when really, they were good shots and should have really gone in.

Anyway great game, good atmosphere, even if mr angry was beside us, he made me lol, but I am also glad that the supporters acknowledged smithy and the great job he done, must of done loads for his confidence.

Much like we were at the start of the season we lack any decent CMs at the moment through injuries and loan contracts expiring.

We've got too many ironically, you should borrow Jake Reeves off us, played for Wimbeldon earlier in the season and got rave reviews. We called him back as we had a freak run of injuries, but they've all heeled now.

He played against your lot in the JPT and is very highly rated here but just can't get a run in the side.

We've got too many ironically, you should borrow Jake Reeves off us, played for Wimbeldon earlier in the season and got rave reviews. We called him back as we had a freak run of injuries, but they've all heeled now.

He played against your lot in the JPT and is very highly rated here but just can't get a run in the side.

Unfortunately that's not our sole position of need.

Back