• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I've just been reading through Phil Brown's interviews and I am impressed with how he conducts himself.

PB seems to be a very strong minded and positive person. Throughout his first 6 games in charge he has accepted that he is learning about the team. He hasn't professed to knowing everything and seems to have accepted his fate that he is now a League 2 manager. Whilst talking in post match interviews about new systems that he has tried e.g. "I thought the formation we used, with the three men in midfield, worked well and I was also very pleased to get the first clean sheet since coming here," he has also spoken out and accepted his mistakes e.g. "“I brought on Gavin Tomlin because I thought he was a similar type of player to Freddy but it didn't work and I will take the criticism for that.” I have to say for a guy that acknowledged that having played 5 games without a win I thought that was very manly of him to do so.

One thing about Steve Tilson's reign that impressed me was the togetherness of the squad. I know that Tilly was a big fan of team bonding and setup a lot of activities. Seeing the bond develop between Freddy and PB is fantastic for the club. This season Freddy has looked lost and not been used and now we are once again talking about the potential positive impact that Freddy could have on the team next season. It is clear that PB has put an arm around Freddy. PB has also singled out the defence and in particular Dan Bentley in the last few games. He also waxed lyrical about Tamika Mkandawire's loan spell and has left the door open there for a return. This open approach gets a :thumbsup: from me. I don't think there is a lot to tell between individual's abilities at this level and actually getting that extra 5 or 10% from mental attributes can go a long way to achieving success. I am a big fan of sports psychology and I think PB has spoken well about his players so far. You include in that also the fact that he has given Bilel Mohsni a chance to prove his worth. Okay, it hasn't worked, as many were afraid of but I think he has handled it professionally and there is not a big circus act surrounding Bilel's apparent exit this time round like there has been before.

I don't expect to see many changes over the Summer because I think PB will try to extract the best out of what he has with different formations and different attitudes. I've been most impressed with how PB has conducted himself and even with the Wembley scenario regarding PS I think both gentlemen handled themselves superbly.

Good Luck PB and keep up the good work!

Please feel free to add your own reasons for liking Phil Brown!

Got me thinking that maybe PB and Paul Sturrock came to a gentleman's agreement to let GC lead the team out at Wembley, without actually telling Graham. This would have mean't both sides actually gave way in compromise. I have no inside information on this, just a possibility.

I have been very impressed by Brown, apart from giving excellent interviews and outlining his thinking. He has already brought in our excellent young goalkeeper and improved the defence. He knows that he has a dimmed gem in Eastwood and it appears is showing his appreciation for our former Star player. Brown is not daft and appears intelligent and think we will find that Ron Martin has unearthed a manager who will after many years bring success to our much loved club. :high five:

I put my hand up, that I didn't want him here last month, I am warming to him, due to he handing Freddy Eastwood well and rate him, I can't see any side in League 2 have players of his quality ... it's all about a good pre season then hopefully he can get at least 20 goals and help us to top 3 at least!

Is great to see some sceptics - open to giving Phil Brown.

I think he can do well - if backed as best the club can provide.

Love his enthusiasm, and the way he is very at ease doing interviews - even at that initial welcome press conference in the corridor!
Early days, but his presence and some of his ways appear to make us a more professional Club.
Plus he is obviously keen to get Freddy back to his best with his encouragement and good man management.

Also loving his smart suits when he is not in his training gear :smile:

Have to admit that, following big reservations, after Luggy was given the push, I am also warming to him a bit. What I want to know is when we will have a new poster on SZ called 'West Park'? who will promote and defend PB's actions.......I've got Cluniemore withdrawal symptoms!

Have to admit that, following big reservations, after Luggy was given the push, I am also warming to him a bit. What I want to know is when we will have a new poster on SZ called 'West Park'? who will promote and defend PB's actions.......I've got Cluniemore withdrawal symptoms!

We have the Paul Smith fan club that should suffice for now!

I am a fan after watching him and mr coughlan playing 7 aside at the chase last night ,cracking player still and a tan that jordan would have died for.Also he's a fan of bringing the youth through, so i have heard.Which isn't a thing you could have said before.

I do like PB but I can't see him sticking around after next season. He will want to get out of league 2 which is obviously a good thing, I can see him bringing his own players in and getting rid of quite a few which is totally fine by me. If we get promoted he'll probably be tempted away by another job if it comes his way, if we don't get promoted he won't want to spend another season in league 2 I don't think. Let's hope we get out of this league whatever the outcome for Brown.

I do like PB but I can't see him sticking around after next season. He will want to get out of league 2 which is obviously a good thing, I can see him bringing his own players in and getting rid of quite a few which is totally fine by me. If we get promoted he'll probably be tempted away by another job if it comes his way, if we don't get promoted he won't want to spend another season in league 2 I don't think. Let's hope we get out of this league whatever the outcome for Brown.

That's hearsay. Lets hope he gets us out of div 2 and deal with it then!

What I like about PB is the impressive start to his career at Southend...................oh, hang on a bit!

Played 7
Won 1
Drawn 3
Lost 3

Took over 6 points away from the play offs and currently 7 points away from the play offs.

What I will like about PB is if he can put this start behind him and improve the squad over the summer and get us automatic promotion next season.

At this stage, I do not like him, nor do I dislike him.

What I like about PB is the impressive start to his career at Southend...................oh, hang on a bit!

Played 7
Won 1
Drawn 3
Lost 3

Took over 6 points away from the play offs and currently 7 points away from the play offs.
You forgot "lost our first ever Wembley cup final". :sad:

I'm sure he didn't want to spend this/next season in League Two either but he'd been out of work for a while. Not taking us up next year would hardly improve his marketability.

I have always been a glass half full rather than a moaner but enough is enough. What difference has Brown made? He has no experience at this level and it will mean trouble next season.
Most of us ordinary fans could have told him not to rely on Mohsni and Straker in key roles at Wembley.
He says he is impressed with the quality of the squad but could only muster a scrappy lucky win against a poor Aldershot team. At York we lacked any style of play, constantly failing to control the ball on an admittedly hard pitch but York City managed and they outpaced us and caused us problems all afternoon.
He said we played a long ball game but he and Coughlan stood on the touchline for 90 odd minutes, have they no influence.
The team came out early for the 2nd half (whether they had been sent out early or York kept them waiting matters not) and the whole team then stood almost motionless in the sunshine appearing to be dreaming of their summer holidays.
The start at Wembley was similar with Crewe going through a warm up and us calling players over to pose for photos.
Eastwood played well at York but not in areas to hurt and that was true for the rest.
They appear to lack direction. Hurst can cause problems but is now a bench warmer.
I hope Brown can turn it round but I really fear for next season, particularly if our better players disappear.
I also forecast that Brown will not stay long, any success will see him leaving for a bigger club and as I expect us to be fighting relegation next season he will not stay around blaming lack of funds etc as most do when they have failed.
The Martin gamble on Brown coming in and winning a majority of games has failed in spectacular fashion and he deserves to fail for the dismal treatment of a great manager in Paul Sturrock. :sad:

Back