• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rooney

Should Rooney play against Uruguay

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We are the only nation that doesn't build around our best player.

Really? Whilst not their best player Tevez is more highly rated than many Argentine players yet he isn't even in the squad, Nasri has been impressive for City this season but again isn't in the French squad. Mario Gomez despite being one of the highest rated players a couple of years ago hasn't performed recently so Germany haven't taken him to Brazil. Brazil didn't include Lucas Moura, one of the best players in the French league this year.

If anything England is scared to drop Rooney whereas the teams that are favourites to win the world cup are willing to drop players that don't fit the system because they know that the system should never be accommodated to fit one player no matter how good he is. Rooney is good but he is not a winger. If we want to play this system then Rooney should be on the bench and should come on as an impact sub for Sturridge, there is only room for one striker in our formation, trying to shoehorn a second striker in just because he is a good player is ridiculous, look at most top premier league sides, their star players don't play every game if they don't fit the tactics for that game so why is it any different at international level?

Really? Whilst not their best player Tevez is more highly rated than many Argentine players yet he isn't even in the squad, Nasri has been impressive for City this season but again isn't in the French squad. Mario Gomez despite being one of the highest rated players a couple of years ago hasn't performed recently so Germany haven't taken him to Brazil. Brazil didn't include Lucas Moura, one of the best players in the French league this year.

If anything England is scared to drop Rooney whereas the teams that are favourites to win the world cup are willing to drop players that don't fit the system because they know that the system should never be accommodated to fit one player no matter how good he is. Rooney is good but he is not a winger. If we want to play this system then Rooney should be on the bench and should come on as an impact sub for Sturridge, there is only room for one striker in our formation, trying to shoehorn a second striker in just because he is a good player is ridiculous, look at most top premier league sides, their star players don't play every game if they don't fit the tactics for that game so why is it any different at international level?

For those of us old enough to remember, in 1966 Jimmy Greaves was 'the man' in the old First Division. He didn't, however, get a sniff in the England first eleven. New boy Geoff Hurst (yeah, I know, Wet Spam) instead played the lone striker and we won the world cup. On that basis, Rooney could be benched.

Tevez wasn't taken because him and Messi have a well known hatred for each other.

Nasri wasn't taken because he's a ******** and France have been trying to rebuild after years of being a laughing stock.

Gomez has been injured for the past 5 months

Moura is a strange one I agree. I think it's safe to say that Scolari doesn't like him.

However none of those 4 are to their countries what Rooney is to England. Rooney has been the standout talent for England in the last 10 years. Sadly his talent and club performances haven't translated into an impact at international tournaments.

Rooney won't be dropped because even when he's pretty bad, he still contributes and there just hasn't been the competition (until maybe now) to replace him.

4 years ago Rooney had Defoe and Heskey as partners (both ok but neither world class). 2 years ago it was Welbeck. Only now are we seeing top quality attacking midfielders and 10s, along with the likes of Sturridge, Lambert and Welbeck who can play as a 9. Rooney is suddenly getting competition in all 3 positions he tends to play (upfront on his own, as a supporting 10, or on the left of a front 3).

Messi would play for Argentina no matter what, as would Neymar from Brazil, Ribery for France, Ronaldo for Portugal, Pirlo for Italy, Robben for Holland and Suarez for Uruguay etc etc

I agree with what Blue_Wes is saying, we need to play our best and most respected/feared player in his strongest position. To me, playing Sterling meant that the team was sacrificed because Hodgson knew that Rooney still had to be involved.

Rooney has been very unlucky at tournaments with England, during times through all of the qualifying campaigns he has carried the team. He will finish his career as the all time top goalscorer for both England and Manchester United - that proves he is no mug and proves he is a huge asset if played in his correct position.

The reason he has failed to score at the World Cup is because Germany 2006 and South Africa 2010 he entered those tournaments carrying a severe injury. People forget this fact when harping on about his lack of World Cup goals. The same people also forget that he scored at both European Championships that he has played in (Euro 2004 and Euro 2012).

Rooney is a big game player and he is England all time top scorer in competitive games....lets get behind him and stop moaning about our best player, in fact most England fans who attend the matches are fully behind Rooney, it tends to be the fairweather 'tournament fans' and media who cause all the fuss. I will be cheering him on with everything possible from the stands on Thursday and Tuesday at the same time some expert in a pub is criticising his every move.

Rooney cannot play wide left,Roy has to play him in his club position or bench him!

Agreed. It also doesn't do Rooney any good to be asked to play so out of position. As an example, this thread wouldn't even have been started had a) Rooney played in his preferred position, and b) not missed his chance in the second half.

I have to ask the question why is England's 5th highest goalscorer taking corners?

I was surprised to see him out there. It might have been OK had Lambert been playing.

On the subject of corners, why don't we ever try anything different? Italy's goal came from an "unconventional" corner. All we do is lump the ball into the box and hope someone gets a head on it. Once in a while it might be nice to try something different.

For those of us old enough to remember, in 1966 Jimmy Greaves was 'the man' in the old First Division. He didn't, however, get a sniff in the England first eleven. New boy Geoff Hurst (yeah, I know, Wet Spam) instead played the lone striker and we won the world cup. On that basis, Rooney could be benched.
That is quite true .

Play him in the hole behind a front man, or don't play him at all IMO.

Just seems like Woy is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, because of who he is.

None of the players you quote are the nations stand out talents though. So it's a moot comparision. Messi is argentina's stand out player, and has had some of the same criticism aimed at him as Rooney, but no Argentinian manager would dare drop him, because he is their stand out player, and they continue to play an attacking formation that suits Messi. Because he is their best player.

Nasri has been good for Man City in patches, he went a long period on the bench. But Ribery is their key man, who is only not in the squad because he isn't fit. Ribery had a lot of bad press due to potential criminal convictions, but his nation and the French FA stood by him and continued to select him. Because he is their most talented player.

Mario Gomez is the oddest one you mention, he had to move from Munich because he wasn't getting games there, and has played a handful of games at Firoentina, a club that struggles to make Europa league. How you would consider him their talisman ahead of Muller is pretty baffling. Muller is their key player, so much so they changed their formation to create a role for him, and then built their squad around him. Reus and Nuer would be considered more undroppable players than Gomez.

Loucas Moura whilst a good player, plays in the fifth best league in Europe. Brazil fans have pinned all their hopes on Neymar, and subsequently sacrificed the likes of Moura, for him. Oscar is playing out of position to accomadate Neymar in that no.10 role as well.

All the players you mention are actually excellent examples of my point, the fact that the big nations sacrifice other players to build their teams around their key, talismanic and most talented players. We do not. And then hang draw and quarter ours when he doesn't set the world alight, played out of position, yet still doing what players employed in their natural positions could not, setting up a goal. He may have missed a good opportunity, but also, bar Sturridge once for the goal Rooney set up, I didn't see any other players creating that space in the box and creating a chance for themselves.

According to latest reports Rooney will play behind Sturridge?

I do hope so!

Play him in the hole behind a front man, or don't play him at all IMO.

Just seems like Woy is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, because of who he is.

Exactly this.

With Sterling on the right and Barkley on the left.

Bemoan playing a player out of his position by endorsing playing someone else out of position?

At least Rooney has done a reasonable job at times when playing on the left. Barkley has never played there has he?

Sturridge
Welbeck Rooney Sterling
Gerrard Hendo

The only reservation I have of that front six is how exposed we are down the right. I do wonder if Hodgson might deploy Milner for at least the first 50/60 minutes to keep Uruguay quiet.

The only reservation I have of that front six is how exposed we are down the right. I do wonder if Hodgson might deploy Milner for at least the first 50/60 minutes to keep Uruguay quiet.

I think Hodgson has gone all in with his attacking lineup and it's unlikely he'll bring Milner in for a must win game. I agree that it might be sensible though.

I think with Rooney in the middle he'll inevitable play deeper than Sterling in that role and that may free up Henderson and Gerrard to get across and provide support. Uraguay's fullbacks against Costa Rica were fairly defensive and so I worry less about getting overloaded a la Darmian. I don't know who will be coming in for Maxi Periera, but I think we need to keep some faith in our back 4 to deal with the breaks and keep the pressure on their back 4 with attacking wing play. I rate Milner but he can sometimes get stuck between his defensive and attacking roles and not really excel at either. He does have a knack of setting up goals though.

I think Hodgson has gone all in with his attacking lineup and it's unlikely he'll bring Milner in for a must win game. I agree that it might be sensible though.

I think with Rooney in the middle he'll inevitable play deeper than Sterling in that role and that may free up Henderson and Gerrard to get across and provide support. Uraguay's fullbacks against Costa Rica were fairly defensive and so I worry less about getting overloaded a la Darmian. I don't know who will be coming in for Maxi Periera, but I think we need to keep some faith in our back 4 to deal with the breaks and keep the pressure on their back 4 with attacking wing play. I rate Milner but he can sometimes get stuck between his defensive and attacking roles and not really excel at either. He does have a knack of setting up goals though.

Uruguay are there for the taking but Roy has to do the right thing which is Rooney in his ideal position and playing Barkley from the off in CM with Sterling on the right,Sadly Chamberlain may be unfit which is a crying shame as pace from both flanks will cause them major problems,Bring on Milner in the latter stages to protect any lead .

Back